[WIP]USCM Arsenal GZDoom BETA - Download p.3

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Re: [WIP]Aliens (USCM) weapons GZDoom +DOWNLOAD (Alpha 7)

Post by chronoteeth »

idk if its anything, but lurkin on the duke4 website found these sprites for a cancelled aliens tc. It looks great, but you'd have to remove the aliens logo on it

wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I can't help but figure that the logo is there specifically to stop people from using it without permission. Who drew them? Can they still be contacted?
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

wildweasel wrote:I can't help but figure that the logo is there specifically to stop people from using it without permission. Who drew them? Can they still be contacted?
guy named commando nukem on the forums. he hasnt posted since jan and the last aliens was since 2014, but that is more recent. you could prolly nudge an email on there. bit more sleuthing turns out there never really was even an alienstc using any of these things
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

Mr.Enchanter wrote:SMRTxx, or SMRTA-D are the red torch lump names.
Thanks for the hint! You're gold! :) I'll fix it for the next build.
chronoteeth wrote:
wildweasel wrote:I can't help but figure that the logo is there specifically to stop people from using it without permission. Who drew them? Can they still be contacted?
guy named commando nukem on the forums. he hasnt posted since jan and the last aliens was since 2014, but that is more recent. you could prolly nudge an email on there. bit more sleuthing turns out there never really was even an alienstc using any of these things
I've seen that one already - it was actually one of the sprites that inspired me to take some time and get back into these old engines (Doom and Build Engine that is) :D
Actually there were several Aliens TCs for Duke Nukem 3D back in the day, I even started one with a few guys from the Starship Troopers boards but it never got beyond basic con-hacks and a few test maps (I used the Shrinker/Expander weapon slot for the pulse rifle :D ). But yea, not with this stuff. To this day, I only know of one viable Aliens mod for Duke that got released:

http://msdn.duke4.net/hotavd.php

Anyways, I side with weasel here - the watermark is a pretty clear sign of "don't steal" (he even mentions it in the post I believe). Working in graphics and advertising myself, I tend to say that even ripping sprites from Aliens: CM (like the pistol here) or from Sketchfab is borderline infringement. But I excuse myself by crediting if possible or check for CC licenses (I'm not aiming to profit from building Doom mods in my spare time after all ;) ). I or we could try to contact him though, cause this sprite would even be usefull for Kontra Kommander et al. I'm sure.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I like how you've added the tools, kind of reminds me of Endless' mod. Will they have functionality in regular maps as well, maybe as a way to bypass key doors for a limited amount of uses or something? It'd be cool to be able to find a rare pickup of a blowtorch/hacking tools that would let you get through a few doors before being used up.
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

-Ghost- wrote:I like how you've added the tools, kind of reminds me of Endless' mod. Will they have functionality in regular maps as well, maybe as a way to bypass key doors for a limited amount of uses or something? It'd be cool to be able to find a rare pickup of a blowtorch/hacking tools that would let you get through a few doors before being used up.
That's actually a good idea how to use them outside of scripted maps! Didn't think that far yet - I was only considering the map designer perspective for making new maps geared towards the arsenal. :) With my current knowledge of (G)ZDoom though I wouldn't know how to go about implementing this. I don't even understand the "replace" workflow in DECORATE yet :D I'll need to free some more time for stuff like this - I can only do so much in the few hours I have availabe at any one modding session at the moment; and I still want to map too! :D Which brings me to a request I have to make:

Do you guys have any input on what to focus on next, considering the latest build?
Not only in a way "what features you'd like to see" but in a time management way from the modders perspective.

To elaborate on the basic plan: I consider this project finished when there is a working gameplay mod version and, optionally, a techdemo with one map to demonstrate a few things for other mappers to use. Plus, the mod should be usable and quasi open source for all other modders on these boards - I use your resources and your tutorials, so that's the least I can give back :3:
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

Got bored, made a poster.
Colonial_Marine_DOOM.jpg
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

Alpha 8 update see first post...

DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/file/l177amr5n ... lpha08.pk3

* Added Motion Tracker/Radar
* Added Alien
* Fixed some bugs
willkuer

Re: [WIP]Aliens (USCM) weapons GZDoom +DOWNLOAD (Alpha 8)

Post by willkuer »

UPDATE PREVIEW:

I'm fixing bugs, syntax errors, tweaking... I'll probably have a viable gameplay mod build ready soon. But I'd really like to join forces with Deimos Anomaly and Kontra Kommando - I think their project could make Aliens Doom great again! (tehehehe, sorry couldn't help :D )

Bad news first though: Bill Paxton died :( Game over, man. Rest in peace :(

In other, good news, Mr.Enchanter made a very nice Pulse Rifle sprite based on the model I too use, over at the Spriting Carneval: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15080&start=27615#p977531
And yes, it really is a bit too small for my taste and such a bulky gun. :D But it's supreme sprite work nevertheless! It captures the perfect pixel art/doom look - love it! :wub:

Cheers for now!
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

I'll do a higher res version soon/bigger version so that it fits with the other weapons better. I'm not promising that I will touch up the sprites for personal use and share them, but I just might ;)
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

Mr.Enchanter wrote:I'll do a higher res version soon/bigger version so that it fits with the other weapons better. I'm not promising that I will touch up the sprites for personal use and share them, but I just might ;)
In my book, you just went from gold to honey :D (English is not my mother tongue, so I hope this comes out right haha)
Hook me up in case you maybe possibly are bored sometime... and maybe use your horrible Gimp to whip up some sprites, and maybe I'll stream you some Photoshop so you don't bitch that much about this actually pretty bitchy, but powerful tool (allthough it's a fucking monopoly and the licenses are shit, yes I'm talking to you Adobe!) :P <3
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

Took a hint from Blade of Agony's presentation - and now, I feel like teasing ;)
(main menu at 0:45)

Also, Phased Plasma Pulse Rifles! Check it out! :P
phasedplasmapulserifle.jpg
Doom Juan

Post by Doom Juan »

Fantastic level design, really captures the creepy feel of "Alien Trilogy" whilst looking fresh and original.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

That is a very nice looking pulse rifle sprite!
willkuer

Re: [WIP]Aliens (USCM) weapons GZDoom +DOWNLOAD (Alpha 9)

Post by willkuer »

ALPHA 9 ready for DOWNLOAD:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jub7b04oy ... lpha09.pk3

I even made a video for the first iteration of the Phased Plasma Pulse Rifle (or as some lovingly call it: The PewPewPew Gun) - and yes, I know it's unoriginal and cheesy and I could do better, but it was weekdays past midnight alright? ;)

I'll edit this post and the OP to reflect the change log, info, credits etc. over the weekend.
Just a quick note: The Hadleys Hell demo/test map isn't MAP01 anymore so the mod is playable as gameplay mod with any maps/wads. You can still load it up via console by typing: "MAP DEMO"
Also, balancing is probably way off - when testing myself I'm way to biased, so that's where your feedback comes in :)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”