dead.air - v2

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: dead.air - v2

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Heh, thanks.

It's not like i would die if scared, but certainly i don't like the experience or the adrenaline from scares - had bad experiences in the past.

So, if you mean the most scary part is the ambience, i think i can give it a chance.

During the day.

With lights turned on.

And a "cute puppies" tab on the browser.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

There are indeed no cheap jumpscares, but I can't guarantee a monster won't surprise you around a corner or something. :P

As a side-note, it's always super-cool to see the "creep factor" have some sort of effect. I'm a bit of a poor judge of such things (I don't get scared easily, cheap jumpscares notwithstanding), so it's mostly me just chucking in things I think are cool+interesting+whatnot. It probably doesn't help that I fairly-regularly browse the SCP wiki before going to bed, though. :P

[EDIT] Oh sheeet, this got 2nd place in the Vinesauce compo! I should probably do something to celebrate. o:
SAraisXenoQueen

Post by SAraisXenoQueen »

removed my awful post
Last edited by SAraisXenoQueen on Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

It's vinsauce related and it sounds like a good news, so that sounds indeed good to me. Anyway congrats, Xaser! You impressed us as usual and now you made vinesauce impressed as well!
Daemeon93

Post by Daemeon93 »

Please make a full fledged wad for this with 32 maps. I adored playing through this and enjoyed it a lot. Loved what you did with the enemies and had fun killing them with the arsenal of weapons :D
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I loved playing it too, but ...

32 maps? Are you serious?

There's no possible way anyone can put the kind of care and dedication into 32 maps that Xaser managed to pull off with just this one. Sometimes "keep it small" (relatively speaking, anyway) is the best principle. I wouldn't mind seeing two or three more maps but I think 32 is a lot to ask of him. :shock:

There's no possible way 32 maps will measure up to the same kind of quality.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Sometimes, we need to cut the dream a bit. Dreaming or hoping that too much might take a lot of time to come true.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Daemeon93 wrote:Please make a full fledged wad for this with 32 maps. I adored playing through this and enjoyed it a lot. Loved what you did with the enemies and had fun killing them with the arsenal of weapons :D
Wait, 32 maps with more than 1000 monsters? No thanks. We're all agree that his map is superb, however, extending to 10 or 20 or 31 more maps of this style is NOT a good idea...
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

The main problems with grenade launcher, are projectile speed and size of weapon itself. You fire the gun normally and go "hey, where's the grenade?" while it's stuck barely two feet away from you. And if you try aiming upwards, you can't see the monsters at all. Makes it look like complete shit in usual encounters and asks you to check if you forgot to turn off autoaim.
What I'd do, is give grenades more initial speed and (maybe) even more gravity. Turn it into short-medium ranged anti-air cannon, while still keeping it's purpose to easily spam death into pits.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

There's an issue with the current release where grenade pitch is inverted in recent releases of G/QZDoom (the mod was originally developed with ZDoom 2.8.1, and there's a bonkers inconsistency in pitch that exists now). The next release will require GZDoom 2.3.2+ so the inconsistencies will vanish.

I'm monkeying around with it in a few other ways, so the next version ought to be better in general.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Xaser, mind I ask you a few things??

Are jump and crouch essential for this map or it's some sort of cheating?? For example, obtaining first blaster upgrade with jumping makes it rather way too easy and I'd consider it as cheating since getting it legitimate out of that column by strafesliding out of high ceiling is more complicated way to obtain the blaster's first upgrade which seems the way it was intended to obtain. However, next to that column is a soulsphere column, and I have no idea how to obtain it without jumping, maybe I am missing some secret? If this map wasn't created by having jump planned in mind, I won't use it, because it always feels like filthy cheats to use these things in doom maps; UNLESS these were intended to be used, which I appreciate these maps a lot with platforming 3D floor challenge. Still haven't beat the map, since I'm rather wait till I get confident about if jump wasn't planned and all the secrets around the map are possible to obtain without it.

Some folks say this mod have certain place where taking damage is unavoidable experience, and that is no good. I hope they were lying, and the map is possible beat without getting damage. :P
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

I remember what xaser said when i found that blaster upgrade by jumping,
Xaser wrote:
Captain J wrote:
Spoiler: And SECRET SPOILER IS REVEALED-
Spoiler: THIS SURE IS A SPOILER REPLY
Exactly what he's saying, it's intentional. And maybe jumping and crouching is cheating and should not be used, but if some maps actually requires jump and crouch, you have no choice but jump and crouch.

It's just some kind of rules you need to follow optionally.
MaxRideWizardLord

Captain J wrote:I remember what xaser said when i found that blaster upgrade by jumping,
Xaser wrote:
Captain J wrote:
Spoiler: And SECRET SPOILER IS REVEALED-
Spoiler: THIS SURE IS A SPOILER REPLY
Exactly what he's saying, it's intentional. And maybe jumping and crouching is cheating and should not be used, but if some maps actually requires jump and crouch, you have no choice but jump and crouch.

It's just some kind of rules you need to follow optionally.
Dangit that's lame, and yet I wanted to make "no jump playthrough", especially considering obtaining some items are harder without jumping than with jumping. Also I feel like in some places I can jump to "out of map", but maybe these are meant-to-be places. Some items seems possible obtain without jumping, but I have no idea how to... Hopefully Xaser can confirm if there are secrets that's ONLY possible to obtain through jumping, otherwise I would feel myself a filyhy dirty cheater.

EDIT: Now I do recognize what place you were talking about according to the picture. Note, that's not jumping, but falling. What I meant by jump is the +jump ability that obviously wasn't implemented in original doom 1-2. Falling, side-strafing, and even sliding was essential AND necessary technique to obtain certain items and to reach secret rooms. With jumping, I feel like i'm using tool-assisted cheat (and in this case the tool would be gzdoom engine itself which allows me to jump, which obviously not something that doom originally have).

EDIT2: I just found that for some reason cheats working on Nightmare difficulty... How do I disable it?? Considering that every my button is binded is either to give me all weapons or summon enemies or kill all enemies (since I love testing various mods and randomizers, it's very handy to have), it's easy to misclick and accidently cheat. Does anyone know how to disable it?
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Jumping is optional, but shouldn't break anything. There's at least one tricky leap I'm planning on making a bit easier to reach without hitting the jump key; if there's any others (or a place where you think you've jumped to somewhere that ought to be unreachable), lemme know.

I'm not disabling cheats on Skill 5; always hated that. If it's so easy to typo your way into a cheat by accident, how do you play other wads? :P
MaxRideWizardLord

Xaser wrote:Jumping is optional, but shouldn't break anything. There's at least one tricky leap I'm planning on making a bit easier to reach without hitting the jump key; if there's any others (or a place where you think you've jumped to somewhere that ought to be unreachable), lemme know.
Not exactly "out of map", or places that are rather exploit (break points), but places where I believe I definitelly not belong. Here are few examples: Image

However, if the mod doesn't really had jumping in mind planned, but designed that way to be optional (i.e. it can't be abused to reach places where you shouldn't belong), how exactly do I get on this columb with soulsphere there? Gaining speed while running and air-strafing while falling didn't help much.

I REALLY hope all secrets and items are possible to obtain without jumping nor crouching.
Xaser wrote:I'm not disabling cheats on Skill 5; always hated that. If it's so easy to typo your way into a cheat by accident, how do you play other wads? :P
By playing on Nighmare obviously, duh! :lol: But seriously speaking, I mostly play seriously this kind of maps either in multiplayer on a hardest difficulty if I'm sure that monsters do not just pop out out of nowhere (really hate it). But when I'm finding some fine stuff to play that offer infinite ammo weapons like this one, I feel like this is the right thing to play fully on hardest difficulty and not just check a few maps and uninstall later, and your work seems always worth at least a check, but mostly even full playthrough. That's how I beat HeXen for example, in hardest difficulty too but there were cheats disabled so I couldn't accidently misclick button that weapon summon a few invisible instakilling homing projeciles next to my D button...
One of the reason I liked hardest difficulty on most Gzdoom supporting games is because it disables cheating. But anyway, if you really want to cheat on nightmare, you can always just write sv_cheats 1 if you want to. :P Man, how I wish Gzdoom would add sv_cheats 2 that would forcefully disable all cheats by demand so you won't accidently become the God by mere misclicking mistake.

Anyway, I hope this mod is very well designed that I won't be forced to take damage simple because it was designed that way, but only if I done certain mistakes. Saw a few people complain about it but I hope they were just blind to find correct way to beat the game without taking the damage in process. Really hate games where I'm forced to take unavoidable damage no matter what, especially if you can't regen the health soon later without being dependent of pickup-able items.

Return to “Levels”