Multimap wads... But but... AAAGHH

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Multimap wads... But but... AAAGHH

Post by Cutmanmike »

On the tutorials it says:
The first set is to create a simple Doom 1 or Doom 2 map using one sector and one player start as illustrated in Figure 1. In order for this to work correctly, you must selected the Doom1 or Doom2 WCF configuration files. Do not create a ZDoom file.
Ok so...... What if I already made my damn map in zdoom.wcf eh? How would I make a multimap wad now?
Biff

Post by Biff »

What are those instructions for, that damned Wintex? You would probably use it in Hexen mode then to add your new (one-sector) maps to the existing one. I think the problem when adding maps in Wintex is that if the maps are in zdoom-hexen format first, they already have a behavior lump and Wintex overwrites one with the other. So, in the wad which will be map02, use Wintex to change the map01 header to map02. Also, change the behavior to behavio2 or some other name. Same with other maps. Then merge them with Wintex. Then, go back and rename the various behavoi2 etc. lumps to behavior. At least that's what my creaky old memory dredges up, hahahaa.
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

Wintex is made of string and plasticine
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Biff wrote:I think the problem when adding maps in Wintex is that if the maps are in zdoom-hexen format first, they already have a behavior lump and Wintex overwrites one with the other..
It doesn't do that if you have the entire map(s) in a separate file and then copy/paste it (as the behaviour lump is then recognised as belonging to that map). It's only when trying to copy/paste individual lump(s) without the map header that it screws up (or you try to do it in DooM mode).
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Better use DeePSea for lump management. Although I don't like it much it's the only thing that is even close to something useful if you want to do stuff that is a bit more enhanced.
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

XWE merges multiple maps together fine I believe, I usually use a dos console util that comes with Waded called 'wadcat' though, pretty simple to use and it doesn't care about the behavior lump (or any of the lumps save the MAPxx one) so everything gets transfered properly
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Of course everything is better than something like WinTex that seems to second-guess the user every step on the way and much too often does not agree with him. I always found this kind of tools practically unusable.

I never used XWE because its installation screwed up my system once and I never dared installing it again...

Return to “General”