DoomStorm (v0.92 March 2017)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
CorSair

Re: DoomStorm (Beta Released 06-08-12)

Post by CorSair »

DBThanatos wrote:- Hailstorm: Displaying the battery power in the weapon sprite (like in the original game) would be a tremendous amount of work, a TON of sprites, and a incredibly long, confusing, and bloated DECORATE code. That's why I went with a HUD display in the first place. Ahh! I think I misunderstood. You mean using the same "bars system" but using instead, the "power" icon, like the one displayed in the weapon, not displaying it IN the weapon. True. I'll rip the ones in the game (as they are actually blue in the HUD) and use that! :D
Exactly. :wink:
DBThanatos wrote:EDIT: Not quite sure, but seems like this helped. Since I installed the latest SVN, I have been unable to reproduce the bug (and the chainsaw issue was solved too, as it did happen in this mod)
As for Flailgun bug, I use GZDoom version r1402. If it is any help at all...
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

That's quite a good thing! I was going to say, if you hadn't modified the behavior of the weapon or projectiles in a way that hadn't altered them from AEoD's at all, then I think it was safe to suspect Zdoom's code changes itself.
CorSair

Post by CorSair »

I scourged one bug up on Head Hunter, and another possible on Flailgun.

If you're next to window, zoom in, and aim just over the ledge, the bullet instantly hits wall, and the monster are frozen. For all time. Unless you try shoot again with Head Hunter properly. Then it cancels the freeze effect. Quite nasty exploit, if you ask me...

If one part of flail sticks to wall, and second one hits enemy, the first part is teleported to enemy and the wrapping animation happens.

As for Bouncer... I don't remember how it behaved in Bulletstorm, but uncharged shots can be shot down by enemy projectiles, like imp's fireball or cyberdemon's rocket.
And the charged shots of bouncer... they don't seem to respond well to my kicks, or tackle.
So, what I ask: Could you make charged bouncer ball bit more responsive to kicks? Aside from fun part, there's been few useful moments when I had to kick ball to other side of room.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

For the headhunter bug: I'll look into that. Sounds bad enough.

About the flailgun: That one I think will have to stay that way. You know, the whole "flailed" concept is in a way, a big hack to achieve a visual effect.

Bouncer: The thing is, making it more "responsive" to kicks and stuff, means making the "hitbox" bigger, which at the same times, makes it much more likely to crash with a lot of things and it will stop fitting in the same places as before. I'll check how big can I make it before it screws things up.

Now, in case anyone is interested, the other day I started a "talkthrough" with doomstorm+equinox.
CorSair

Post by CorSair »

As for Headhunter, it is not just that you aim right above edge, you only need to be directly adjacent and aim to the wall and be fully zoomed in to activate monster freezing.
If you fire right away when not fully zoomed in, you sometimes are unable to move for few seconds, like when you hit someone.
This happened in both GZDoom versions r1402 and r1415.

As for Bouncer... Hmm. Instead of increasing the hitbox size of bouncer ball, how about making kick more receptive to bouncer ball? Hopefully I can explain my blabbering...
What I am trying to say, is it possible to code the kick being more bigger just only for bouncer ball? Or is there too much code to do?

As for your "talkthrough," it's was surprisingly entertaining. :thumb:
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Whoa. Seems like the first half of this month flew away without me noticing :/
CorSair wrote:As for Headhunter, it is not just that you aim right above edge, you only need to be directly adjacent and aim to the wall and be fully zoomed in to activate monster freezing.
If you fire right away when not fully zoomed in, you sometimes are unable to move for few seconds, like when you hit someone.
This happened in both GZDoom versions r1402 and r1415.

As for Bouncer... Hmm. Instead of increasing the hitbox size of bouncer ball, how about making kick more receptive to bouncer ball? Hopefully I can explain my blabbering...
What I am trying to say, is it possible to code the kick being more bigger just only for bouncer ball? Or is there too much code to do?

As for your "talkthrough," it's was surprisingly entertaining. :thumb:
I have yet to find what's causing that issue with the headhunter. Though, I must admit, I havent done much editing at all lately.

Making the kicks more receptive to the ball? All I can think about is making some sort of "shotgun" attack with the kick, with a huge spread, but small reach, making sure it only affects the bouncer balls. It might be possible. I'll have to experiment a little with that.

And talking about the talkthrough: New level for it. :P
DBThanatos

Re: DoomStorm (Micro-Update Released 02-03-15)

Post by DBThanatos »

Well, because one person asked for it, here we go!

Im reuploading this mod with a TINY change of code that was preventing it from loading in the latest SVNs.

*** Where to get it? ***

Download the mod in the link below:
Sorry for Sendspace, but I dont know what website is being used these days
-->Download here<--

EDIT: REMEMBER, you have to use the custom reload key under the control settings.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: DoomStorm (Micro-Update Released 02-03-15)

Post by Captain J »

damn it, also i missed this mod as well. anyway good to see some of bulletstorm weapons for aeod was reused at this mod, for great purpose, of course!
DBThanatos

Re: DoomStorm (v0.92 March 2017)

Post by DBThanatos »

What? A new version??

Yes. Mostly bugfixes, but it play better now :3
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

If you need a fix for the headhunter, let me know.

Also, it'll be possible to do menus like Bulletstorm's purchase shop now.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Thanks, but I'll pass on the menus. I have found i like streamlined gameplay mods much better, and I'm keeping this very backwards compatible.
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

Ohhh man, so glad to see this old beast receive some care after so long.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Ribo Zurai wrote:Ohhh man, so glad to see this old beast receive some care after so long.

Yeah. I do plan to improve it wherever i can while keeping it 1.8.6 compatible.

So let me know if you find bugs! :D
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

You might want to fix the weapon images on the first post, they went missing. ;-)
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

the Kick animations are Litteraly 2 Frames in one milesec
can you fix that at least?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”