Your Name: Lieutenant John Doom. Your Mission:

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Retraux Squid

Re: JohnnyDoom - creative names for doom mods

Post by Retraux Squid »

Absolutely amazing.

Only thing is, the assault rifle could use an improvement: the muzzle flash is obnoxious as fuck, it's huge, and looks rather unrealistic. The old version's AR had a much nicer flash.
robocop

Post by robocop »

Spaceman333 wrote:P.S. Please buff the chainsaw. More range, wider arc, more damage, allow kicking and punching while holding it and increase the rate of fire. After about 32x12 maps (thats 384 maps I've played with this mod so far, holy shit), the chainsaw has been outclassed be regular melee everytime. It just sucks stats wise. I love the sound effects and functionality of the saw tho.
Somewhere back in my post history I submitted an old version of the mod that had punches and kicks enabled while using the saw. Whenever I get around to playing this again, I'll make the same change to the new version. Might be a while though. Life is distracting me from gaming.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

robocop wrote:
Spaceman333 wrote:P.S. Please buff the chainsaw. More range, wider arc, more damage, allow kicking and punching while holding it and increase the rate of fire. After about 32x12 maps (thats 384 maps I've played with this mod so far, holy shit), the chainsaw has been outclassed be regular melee everytime. It just sucks stats wise. I love the sound effects and functionality of the saw tho.
Somewhere back in my post history I submitted an old version of the mod that had punches and kicks enabled while using the saw. Whenever I get around to playing this again, I'll make the same change to the new version. Might be a while though. Life is distracting me from gaming.
Your post gave me the impression that this is easy to do, so I got inspired to try and did it myself. I'll share it here if anyone wants it:

http://www.filedropper.com/johnnydoomla ... pgradedsaw

This is the same latest version of the johhnydoom.pk3 main file (none of the addons are included, mind you) as in the Original Post, but now the chainsaw has longer range, more damage, lifesteals health from enemies, kicking and punching is now enabled with the saw and I slightly upgraded the maximum ammo amounts for most guns. Now the chainsaw is REALLY worth using. Maybe a little bit OP too, unless its a slaughtermap.

Turns out doing edits to pk3 mods is super easy. Just open the pk3 with a .zip program, drag and drop a relevant text file I want to edit into any folder I want, open that file in notepad, do the changes, save the file, then drag and drop that same file back into the .pk3 in the zip program. Piss easy.
Last edited by Spaceman333 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Why the hell would it steal life from enemies...?
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

DoomKrakken wrote:Why the hell would it steal life from enemies...?
Well, normally I'd never want to switch to the saw since guns are always superior range/powerwise and less risky to use, so its more of a convenience thing to put the saw up there on the same level as regular weapons, instead of it being an emergency backup weapon.

Its not that unbalanced as it might sound. While using the saw, my health will remain at a steady 100 as long as enemies are near enough and not too numerous, but if I have armor or overhealth while using the saw, they'll be most likely depleted. In the end, there *is* still a tradeoff to using the saw.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Granted. I figured there was some gameplay aspect to it.

HOW the hell would it steal life from enemies?
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

That's like asking how fatalities can give you health if you ask me.....
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

DoomKrakken wrote:Granted. I figured there was some gameplay aspect to it.

HOW the hell would it steal life from enemies?
Oh, you mean like an ingame universe explanation?

Adrenaline. Doomguy's satisfaction in murder sustains and empowers him.
(Yes I just made that up right now.)
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

robocop wrote:Might be a while though. Life is distracting me from gaming.
As courage wolf would say, DISTRACT LIFE FROM YOU! :D
Dwailing
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Dwailing »

I'm wondering, is work still being done on this to fix the framerate bug, or is the mod dead? I really love this mod, but it seems like no matter what I do my framerate takes a huge hit after I blast my way through a bunch of enemies. It's incredibly disheartening, especially because the link to the previous version that seemed to not have issues is apparently dead.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Dwailing wrote:I'm wondering, is work still being done on this to fix the framerate bug, or is the mod dead? I really love this mod, but it seems like no matter what I do my framerate takes a huge hit after I blast my way through a bunch of enemies. It's incredibly disheartening, especially because the link to the previous version that seemed to not have issues is apparently dead.
I think its on the shelf for the time being. Johnny tried to tackle the bug with serious effort by rewriting the mod from ground up multiple time, making the gore janitor very effective at cleaning the gore, trying out other different things and other enchanced were made and test too. I helped with testing it, but it turns out the gore wasn't the main culprit of the lag. There was something else that we didn't manage to figure out. My guess it has to do with monster behaviour/scripts that causes it, but thats just a theory.

Even if all the gore was wiped out every 20 seconds, the lag problem still persisted. I think Johnny felt very frustrated and tired from trying to solve the issue and trying so many things to fix it for so long that I haven't heard from him since I did the last round of testing. It really drained his motivation. I tried to dig around the code and I was just as clueless too about how to go about trying to fix it. Its a nasty yet bizarre bug that still has yet been found a solution for it. :(

If anyone can lend a helping hand to solve the issue, it would be greatly appreciated.
Dwailing

Post by Dwailing »

Spaceman333 wrote:
Dwailing wrote:I'm wondering, is work still being done on this to fix the framerate bug, or is the mod dead? I really love this mod, but it seems like no matter what I do my framerate takes a huge hit after I blast my way through a bunch of enemies. It's incredibly disheartening, especially because the link to the previous version that seemed to not have issues is apparently dead.
I think its on the shelf for the time being. Johnny tried to tackle the bug with serious effort by rewriting the mod from ground up multiple time, making the gore janitor very effective at cleaning the gore, trying out other different things and other enchanced were made and test too. I helped with testing it, but it turns out the gore wasn't the main culprit of the lag. There was something else that we didn't manage to figure out. My guess it has to do with monster behaviour/scripts that causes it, but thats just a theory.

Even if all the gore was wiped out every 20 seconds, the lag problem still persisted. I think Johnny felt very frustrated and tired from trying to solve the issue and trying so many things to fix it for so long that I haven't heard from him since I did the last round of testing. It really drained his motivation. I tried to dig around the code and I was just as clueless too about how to go about trying to fix it. Its a nasty yet bizarre bug that still has yet been found a solution for it. :(

If anyone can lend a helping hand to solve the issue, it would be greatly appreciated.
Oof, that really sucks. Hopefully it's something that can be figured out eventually. Thanks for the information.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Do you have a source/credit for the chainsaw spark sprites? They look lovely.
Dwailing

Post by Dwailing »

I recall someone had posted an older but apparently mostly feature-identical version of the mod that supposedly had fewer issues with blood lag, but the link to that version seems to be dead. Would someone else be able to upload the old version
somewhere so it's available?
heron

Post by heron »

Dwailing wrote:I recall someone had posted an older but apparently mostly feature-identical version of the mod that supposedly had fewer issues with blood lag, but the link to that version seems to be dead. Would someone else be able to upload the old version
somewhere so it's available?
I was the original uploader. I should have known the url had an expiration date... anyways, I uploaded that version again. It's the one I use and works fine. Some mapsets are impossible to play, but it is great for the most part... and I have a shitty rig.

http://www.filedropper.com/johnnydoom

enjoy!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”