[Beta] Contra Doom b06 - Wanted: Player skins

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Beed28

Re: [Beta] Contra Doom b06 - Wanted: Player skins

Post by Beed28 »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:If you are still working on the mod or at the very least intend to, then may I suggest you add a score reward for discovering secrets. Right now, looking for them is rather pointless, as most power-ups have been removed, thus making secret areas often empty.
Scoring points for finding secrets is definitely on the agenda. Current plan is that they'll scale down based on how many secrets the level has, so if there's one secret in the map, you'll get a huge bonus (enough for a 1-UP), but if there's like several in another map, you'll need to find them all to get the full bonus you'd get from finding just that single one.

On a similar subject, do you think it is doable to make it so any additional token of the same type gives you extra points once you have upgraded your current weapon? The same goes with the Rapid Fire tokens once you have maxed out your firing speed.
As for the token points, well, I haven't actually thought of that. I'm not sure if the official Contra games do that since you can't easily see your score during gameplay (you can only see your score during level transitions or when you Game Over).

Also, and I am not really sure if there is anything you can do about it, I tried to play Ultimate Doom with your mod and a custom MAPINFO that removes the episode format. However, once I got to the end teleporter in E1M9, the game would not load E2M1. I know at least one other mapset that features a similar unavoidable death trap (Hellbound) and I have to wonder if it would be a good idea to play your mod with it.
Contra Doom has a custom MAPINFO that is overriding yours. It's the only way that you can let the player respawn in single player mode, but it ends up breaking custom MAPINFO for other projects, and the player can't respawn anyway if the map has a unique header (for example, MAP34-MAP99). I've made a suggestion for this, but it just simply fell on deaf ears. :(

I've never played Hellbound, but I am strongly considering giving the player mercy invincibility whenever he uses a teleporter or whenever he uses a bomb (and as long as infinite bombs are turned off). There are situations in several map packs (Doom II itself included) where the player teleports into the middle of a group of enemies and gets annihilated before he can act (as teleporting locks your controls for a brief second).

Finally, do you plan to make a custom shortcut icon for your mod?
No, I have no plans for a shortcut icon. Not many mods do that, so...

----------

As for future plans, I'm wanting to completely replace certain monster attack functions such as A_PosAttack and A_SPosAttack so that they shoot projectiles instead of being hitscan, but until ZScript's evolved enough for me to be able to do that, I can't do that right now.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Beed28 wrote:As for the token points, well, I haven't actually thought of that. I'm not sure if the official Contra games do that since you can't easily see your score during gameplay (you can only see your score during level transitions or when you Game Over).
Then again, if memory serves, Contra games do not allow you to backtrack through levels, so this is one liberty you may want to consider taking here.
Beed28 wrote:As for future plans, I'm wanting to completely replace certain monster attack functions such as A_PosAttack and A_SPosAttack so that they shoot projectiles instead of being hitscan, but until ZScript's evolved enough for me to be able to do that, I can't do that right now.
Wait, there are still monsters using hitscan attacks? Which ones?
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:
Beed28 wrote:As for future plans, I'm wanting to completely replace certain monster attack functions such as A_PosAttack and A_SPosAttack so that they shoot projectiles instead of being hitscan, but until ZScript's evolved enough for me to be able to do that, I can't do that right now.
Wait, there are still monsters using hitscan attacks? Which ones?
None of them as of now, unless you're using a mod that adds custom monsters that use them, but there's something I'm wanting to try; I'm wanting to try and move away from replacing monsters entirely, and instead use A_RadiusGive for stuff like setting points (based on max health) and for death effects and such. If it's possible, it could very well possibly make the mod friendly with custom DeHackEd monsters, and then some. But as I said, I cannot do that until I am able to edit the hitscanning functions like A_PosAttack and A_SPosAttack.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I just realised Contra had had a retro-styled sequel on WiiWare and its soundtrack sounds very much like it was made for the Sega Genesis.

Have you considered using some of the tracks for the optional music wad?
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

Well, I just happened to use the title music from that very game.

As for any updates, well, they have been happening. I'm not at home right now, so I'm not ready to show off it's new potential just yet...
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Haha, oops! :P

This is what happens when you are unfamiliar with the Contra series and you come across a remixed soundtrack.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Really minor issue: when I play Contra Doom with TNT Evilution mapset, I still get the automap level titles and intermission texts from Doom II.
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

That's because you'll need to add the appropriate patch after adding Contra Doom itself. Same goes with Plutonia.

The good news is, this will no longer be the case in an upcoming update.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Damnit! Sorry about that. :oops:

I have spent so much time trying to Ironman vanilla Doom II with your mod that I have completely forgotten about the patches.

And speaking of Doom II, I tried playing the Master Levels using Blzut3's Unofficial Master Levels for Doom 2 Patch, but it will not let me respawn nor play the custom Contra sountrack. Loading Contra Doom before master.wad seems to make no difference whatsoever.

Do you think this will be addressed by the update as well?
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

For respawning, the MAPINFO respawning is going to be abandoned. Instead, it now asks the player to type in "sv_singleplayerrespawn 1" into the console if it's not on beforehand (I might make a .BAT file for loading the mod that automatically enables it). For the music, it's very basic, and if the WAD has music that isn't the default Doom/Doom II/Heretic namespaces, it won't have an effect. It's not like some other music packs out there, which chooses a random song for each level.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Would it be possible to make it so your projectiles can pass through decorations? Former humans' bullets are much smaller than yours and thus are not as likely to get blocked.

Also, I do not know if it has been reported yet, but it seems you cannot detonate a Super Bomb while holding the primary fire button.
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Would it be possible to make it so your projectiles can pass through decorations? Former humans' bullets are much smaller than yours and thus are not as likely to get blocked.

Also, I do not know if it has been reported yet, but it seems you cannot detonate a Super Bomb while holding the primary fire button.
I think making decorations destrutable is better since you can get shot by suprise and also makes so that you cant camp on tree vases of all things.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Heretic crashed in E2M8 just as I was flying into one of the portals surrounding the area with the Minotaurs.

Here is the message I got from the console:
ContraHereticCrash.jpg
777Doomer777

Post by 777Doomer777 »

I Can't Believe If Contra Weapon Are Overkill In Doom. XD

So That's How Alien And Demon Horde Are Pissed Off By Contra Assault Rifle. XD

Damn, Contra Is A Great Game Ever, And This Mod Get Me Want To Back In 90s Era. :-)
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I tried playing Contra Doom with mapsets such as Ultimate Torment & Torture: Supportive Edition and Revolution!, but in both cases, dying restarts the whole level rather than making me respawn.

What is causing that? Is there a workaround?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”