[BETA7] Q - Quake stuff for Doom, Heretic and Hexen

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dark-Assassin

Re: [BETA5] Q (Quake weapons and items)

Post by Dark-Assassin »

New Update
Beta 6 Changes
  • Messed with the particles a little more, mainly fixing some colors.
  • Fixed red key card giving off blue light
  • Fixed red skull key being a complete failure at life
  • Tweaked lights a bunch more.
    • Smoother transitions
    • Fixed a few oversized lights
    • Increased flicker rate
    • Flicker strength no longer as intense
    • Added subtle lights to the large Shell and Nail boxes
    • Increased brightness of Health lights a little
    • Key and Powerup lights are closer to their texture colors
  • Increased teleport and item fog particle count
  • Made the teleport effect that replaces SpawnFire black and give off black light as well as the item fog effect, creating a unique effect.
  • Decreased item size by 10%, makes them look barely smaller than vanilla item hitboxes.
  • Added better detection for non coop/sp gametypes. However, ZDoom will print an error to console/chat as a function it doesn't know (or even has blanked like the others) which is designed for Zandronum. Usually happens once per item that checks when a map starts.
  • Reduced Thunderbolt lightning sprite density
Download Beta 6

Patches For Zandronum and ZDoom older than 2.8.1
Doom Patch
Heretic Patch
Hexen Patch
Strife Patch
Skulltag Patch
Matsilagi
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Matsilagi »

Would it be possible for you to add 3D Lightning models? So far only 1 mod has used it, and it was the Quake 2 Stuff mod. (It can be found somewhere on the forums).
Rest seems ok. Having a weapons-only mod similar to QStuff is amazing.
Valherran

Re: [BETA6] Q (Quake weapons and items)

Post by Valherran »

I had a quick look at this on Doom 1, this is ain't half bad. There was a couple things I saw though:

1. The ammo maximum is too little for nails, you are supposed to have 200 without backpack, and 400 with a backpack.

2. The backpack is glitched, it spawns nailguns instead and all backpacks in the level give a script error when the level starts.

3. Shotgun zombies deal a bit too much damage to you. One of them hit me from mid range for 45 damage without armor worn, which is over the top for a common enemy.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

Matsilagi wrote:Would it be possible for you to add 3D Lightning models? So far only 1 mod has used it, and it was the Quake 2 Stuff mod. (It can be found somewhere on the forums).
Rest seems ok. Having a weapons-only mod similar to QStuff is amazing.
Only problem with that is when you aim up, the lightning models will still be completely horizontal instead of angling up making it look stupidly weird. Hence why I also removed the rotations from the lightning sprites and increased the density.

Valherran wrote:I had a quick look at this on Doom 1, this is ain't half bad. There was a couple things I saw though:

1. The ammo maximum is too little for nails, you are supposed to have 200 without backpack, and 400 with a backpack.

2. The backpack is glitched, it spawns nailguns instead and all backpacks in the level give a script error when the level starts.

3. Shotgun zombies deal a bit too much damage to you. One of them hit me from mid range for 45 damage without armor worn, which is over the top for a common enemy.
1: Quake doesn't have ammo boosting backpacks. I just halved the default ammo count and it gets restored back to normal when you get the doom style backpacks. I can restore them if there is enough demand and still have the backpacks double or 1.5x them.

2: I placed a script on the Backpack and Thunderbolt to check if you're on the first few levels.
If you are, the Thunderbolt spawns the Mega Health and the Backpack spawns the Nailgun.
These were both because Doom 2 had a chainsaw in the first level, Doom had it in the 2nd, Plutonia really needed a weapon you can get early on otherwise you're honestly stuck with the axe and Heretic has the gauntlets in the first level too. There are a bunch of nail ammo around the map and the only placed nailgun is half way into it. I don't like Plutonia's item placement decisions in the first few levels.
The script error is known and cannot really be fixed for it since it's a Zandronum specific function. Pretty much all of the other Zandronum specific ACS stuff is ignored by ZDoom except for GetInvasionState(). It's listed in the Known Bugs section and also commented in the ACS source. I made it so Deathmatch gametypes will not replace them, but since Zandronum's invasion is classed as coop, I needed to add another check.

3: It's the exact same damage as the Quake shotgun deals. 6 pellets, 5 damage each, with 1/5th added and taken. 36 should be the maximum damage they can deal since they have CBAF_NORANDOM and the damage is set by Random(Base-(Base/5),Base+(Base/5)). They also don't lock onto you the moment A_CustomBulletAttack is called because of CBAF_AIMFACING so you have 10 tics to dodge.
Last edited by Dark-Assassin on Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hipnotic Rogue

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

I'm having a lot of fun with this mod so far. Admittedly, I've only played a few maps of Heretic but it adds a breath of fresh air to the game.

Just wondering if you'd consider adding the Quake soundtrack (even as a separate WAD). Trent Reznor himself has gone on record to say that he encourages copying it as the licencing for it is all screwed up. It'd just be interesting to play through Heretic with some eerie industrial tunes. :)
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

I'd love to, if it wouldn't take a whole day just to upload. My speeds are really slow and I often get dropouts throughout the day.
I literally have it all set up to go for Doom at least.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

1: Quake doesn't have ammo boosting backpacks. I just halved the default ammo count and it gets restored back to normal when you get the doom style backpacks. I can restore them if there is enough demand and still have the backpacks double or 1.5x them.
In large firefights I completely run out of ammo and hope I can backtrack to refill. Though it may be due to the damage output of weapons vs the Doom enemies, the Nailguns for example aren't very effective. I will blow through a full load of 100 nails against 3 or 4 Pinkies and there is still more mobs to go through. Same with the Super Shotgun, even at kissing distance, this weapon will not 1-shot a pinkie like its Doom counterpart. The weapons are probably identical to Quake's, so restoring the ammo maximum would solve that.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

Doom enemies seem to have more health than Quake ones while Quake weapons do less damage than Doom ones.
I didn't really test a whole playthrough in Doom as I mainly designed it for Heretic and Hexen. Hexen however needed to have all their monster's health except bosses reduced by half.
I can try increasing the damage for some of the weapons, but I may need to make the player more resistant to them too otherwise competetive play may be a little OP.
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

Yeah, I remember talks about it with Samsara about how the Ranger had to be pretty rebalanced for Doom standards since the health and damage scales were so low in Quake 1.
Hipnotic Rogue

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

Dark-Assassin wrote:I'd love to, if it wouldn't take a whole day just to upload. My speeds are really slow and I often get dropouts throughout the day.
I literally have it all set up to go for Doom at least.
Oh well, I understand. Thanks for replying anyway. :)
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Forgot to ask... Do you plan on adding the other weapons from the Quake expansions into the game?
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

I've thought about it, however there is a lack of extra weapons or items to replace in all IWADs. Except of course Skulltag.... Eh.

Edit: Alright, doubling all weapon damage seems to have balanced out things a bit, but of course I made the player only take half of it. Had to add damagetypes to all weapons for that. If it's still not enough, I'll see about restoring the default maximum ammo and make the large backpacks give 50% extra.

Next on my list of things to do: Perhaps add icons to the different backpack types, make the bigfont a few pixels thinner and tweak the particles and lights more.
Another thing I'm going to try is make the Nails have a small change to ricochet, however these will be just the spark particles with the nail sprites instead and are purely cosmetic.

I'm still stumped about the zombies. Should the Zombieman be replaced with the modified ShotgunGuy and vice versa (as it currently is) or not? Since Doom has the Laser Rifle (Which I think Quake should have had anyway, since the Enforcers have them), cell backpacks aren't so valuable anymore. And the modified Shotgunguy is stronger than the Zombieman anyway.
Also, I need to write a script that can output a whole load of if/else statements for the Hexen and Strife keys for SBARINFO. The damn file is already 46385 lines big and that's only the If/Else for the Powerups and Doom+Heretic keys on the smaller HUDs. All so they align to the right of the screen with no gaps. It was a nightmare to do it manually.

I also wonder if I should make monster projectiles custom too, mainly looking like the Laser but bigger and a more fire like trail... But that means more of these "fake" particles which means more resources are needed.
Spawning a bunch of teleport effects already slow my system down, and Skulltag's invasion uses TeleportFog for spawning everything, including the items.

Anyway, if anyone has some requests, post them and I'll consider it.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

bump
Spoiler: Classes?
Also, I'll be changing the ammo and health models too. Still quake like, but are not just cubes. I'd still rather use some modified vanilla ones I have for Quake, but I have no idea how to convert them from bsp to md2.
A few other models and textures are also getting a few updates. Backpacks are color coded too. And finally I'll be changing the Laser Rifle model, once I get it animated and positioned correctly. I still didn't make any of the models though, except for the cube objects in beta 6 and earlier.
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: [BETA6] Q - Quake stuff for Doom, Heretic, Hexen and Str

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Pyro?!? :shock:
Matsilagi
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: [BETA6] Q - Quake stuff for Doom, Heretic, Hexen and Str

Post by Matsilagi »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Pyro?!? :shock:
Before TFC and TF2, there was QTF

The one that gave origin to those.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”