[Music] Shane's HQ Doom Music (2018 Updates) [WIP] [Link]

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Reactor

Re: HQ DooM Music [WIP] [Link]

Post by Reactor »

Mr.X wrote:
Shane wrote:Care to give examples so I can patch it up? I normalise the volume then reduce the overall volume by half so that it doesn't overpower the sound effects..
Sorry about the delayed reply. I'll be glad to give examples. E1M7, E1M9 and E2M6 are pretty quiet compared to their midi counterparts, also E4M1 starts out with E1M8 music, i'm not sure if you knew this already. Doom 2 Map 1 is pretty quiet, but this song is fine due to how unliked it is. Map 7 is definitely more quiet that the original midi. Map 32 sounds strange compared to the original. I think that's all that i thought was wrong. Take it with a grain of salt if you will if you think i'm nitpicky :P
Ye I noticed that several instruments sound great - in fact, MUCH better than general MIDI - but for some reason, their volume is unimaginibly low. Instruments like String Ensemble or Tremolo String are a perfect example. In this case, it might be good idea to turn up their volume in MIDI and re-convert them to MUS maybe (I think 100 is the max volume for an individual note). This thing also happened with IMF files in the Wolfenstein-era, where some instruments were much weaker even at full volume, whilst some others were insanely loud even with 50% volume (Distortion Guitar and Lead Sawtooth for instance). It must be an ID-thing I guess.
If the tunes are still too faint, you might try cloning these quiet tracks, so they'll sound more powerful because there are two of them - it worked for me at IMF files. Apart from this, you can record the quiet tracks individually, save'em into a WAV, and record them to the original song with enhanced volume.
Shane
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Gentoo GNU/Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: [Music] HQ Doom Music (2016 Updates) [WIP] [Link]

Post by Shane »

whereswarren wrote:Really good stuff! Thanks for putting in all this effort :D
I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for checking it out and I hope to have more for you soon! :)
Reactor wrote:
Mr.X wrote:
Shane wrote:Care to give examples so I can patch it up? I normalise the volume then reduce the overall volume by half so that it doesn't overpower the sound effects..
Sorry about the delayed reply. I'll be glad to give examples. E1M7, E1M9 and E2M6 are pretty quiet compared to their midi counterparts, also E4M1 starts out with E1M8 music, i'm not sure if you knew this already. Doom 2 Map 1 is pretty quiet, but this song is fine due to how unliked it is. Map 7 is definitely more quiet that the original midi. Map 32 sounds strange compared to the original. I think that's all that i thought was wrong. Take it with a grain of salt if you will if you think i'm nitpicky :P
Ye I noticed that several instruments sound great - in fact, MUCH better than general MIDI - but for some reason, their volume is unimaginibly low. Instruments like String Ensemble or Tremolo String are a perfect example. In this case, it might be good idea to turn up their volume in MIDI and re-convert them to MUS maybe (I think 100 is the max volume for an individual note). This thing also happened with IMF files in the Wolfenstein-era, where some instruments were much weaker even at full volume, whilst some others were insanely loud even with 50% volume (Distortion Guitar and Lead Sawtooth for instance). It must be an ID-thing I guess.
If the tunes are still too faint, you might try cloning these quiet tracks, so they'll sound more powerful because there are two of them - it worked for me at IMF files. Apart from this, you can record the quiet tracks individually, save'em into a WAV, and record them to the original song with enhanced volume.
Well, that was referring to the older versions (which I know are still the only ones available for everything that's not the first Doom) and I'm not using MIDI for this project, so a lot of that advice doesn't apply. Haha.

I'm hoping this isn't as much of an issue now, but mixing 20 plus songs, you get a bit of ear fatigue. Haha. I try to take my time mixing it all so I don't have that problem as much, but I suppose it can't be avoided when you're the only one working on it!

I'm working on Doom II. I know I haven't posted any updates, but it's coming soon! :)
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

homina homina homina :wub:

where has this been my whole life?
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

This is, hands down, the best OST reworking i've ever seen. I'm not discarding other talented artists, but, shit. I love every fucking version you've made here.

Have you ever worked with other ost's?
Shane

Post by Shane »

Crudux Cruo wrote:homina homina homina :wub:

where has this been my whole life?
I'm glad you enjoyed it! There will be more coming soon! :)
GAA1992 wrote:This is, hands down, the best OST reworking i've ever seen. I'm not discarding other talented artists, but, shit. I love every fucking version you've made here.

Have you ever worked with other ost's?
Thank you so much! Like I was saying in my post, a lot of other artists have definitely done great work with their versions of Doom's soundtrack and I wouldn't ever dream of discrediting their hard work either. I just hadn't heard of an artist taking the approach to the soundtrack that I was thinking, so I decided to fill that in myself.

I have worked on covering/remixing other soundtracks, but a lot of them were just starts. I've messed with Ristar, Tyrian, Duke Nukem 3D and Ultima to name a few. I also work on the Sonic Robo Blast 2 soundtrack, but a lot of those tracks are old and are in serious need of an update. I'll eventually finish all of those proper, but I decided to make Doom more of a priority since it's the one that I see getting the most talk from people.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

And being spoken about it sounds awesome, when you consider how many people made their versions. I play (more or less) guitar, and (barely) keyboard. I know some things, and my idea of a ost re-recording was to approach the doom songs to their inspirations rather than the original songs themselves.

Like, for example, playing "The demon is dead", a half tone down and slower, just like "After all (The dead)" by Black Sabbath. The only problem is, i don't have a good recording equipment.

So, i think you should keep right that way! BTW, which is your main guitar used?
Shane

Post by Shane »

GAA1992 wrote:And being spoken about it sounds awesome, when you consider how many people made their versions. I play (more or less) guitar, and (barely) keyboard. I know some things, and my idea of a ost re-recording was to approach the doom songs to their inspirations rather than the original songs themselves.

Like, for example, playing "The demon is dead", a half tone down and slower, just like "After all (The dead)" by Black Sabbath. The only problem is, i don't have a good recording equipment.

So, i think you should keep right that way! BTW, which is your main guitar used?
For this project, I used an Ibanez RGIX20FEQM for the whole project. I used a Marshall JVM410H for the amp with a 1960B with V30s for the cab. I miked it with an SM57 and an R121.

If you want my opinion, I say keep practicing and start recording with what you have. You can learn a lot even with less than ideal equipment. Heck, I have some more things I'd like to have, but I learn how to make do with the tools I have.

Practicing is the most important thing, though. Even if you practice for an hour a day, you'll notice significant improvements. Just Google some exercises or learn some songs a little bit out of your comfort zone and you'll be amazed how fast you'll start blowing them away.

Edit: I should also mention I used an unmodified Ibanez TS808 for my overdrive pedal. I use it just to add a little more bite coming into the amp. You can easily get a very similar sound with a TS9. There are just a few characteristics I prefer with the TS808 over the TS9.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Heh, thanks a lot for the motivation! I thought on finding a teacher in the next year.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

How could I miss this? This is brilliant work man, I am totally amazed :)
Shane

Post by Shane »

GAA1992 wrote:Heh, thanks a lot for the motivation! I thought on finding a teacher in the next year.
Don't forget, the internet is a great resource for teaching yourself too!
Tormentor667 wrote:How could I miss this? This is brilliant work man, I am totally amazed :)
Thanks very much, man! I feel quite honoured. :)

I'm hoping Doom II will be finished soon. Holidays got in the way of work, but real life should be settling down here soon!
TheDramaticSkull

Post by TheDramaticSkull »

I really like this, but there are a couple songs that just don't sound right to me. "They're Going To Get You" just doesn't sound right without the singing, which really disappointed me because that's probably my favorite track in the game. "Deep Into The Code" also doesn't sound right, like the notes sound slightly off-beat. I like the rest of the songs, just not those two. :\
Shane

Post by Shane »

TheDramaticSkull wrote:I really like this, but there are a couple songs that just don't sound right to me. "They're Going To Get You" just doesn't sound right without the singing, which really disappointed me because that's probably my favorite track in the game. "Deep Into The Code" also doesn't sound right, like the notes sound slightly off-beat. I like the rest of the songs, just not those two. :\
Listen to Deep Into the Code: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5KVMnS9zgY
And the song it's based off of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yP2Xyo ... OVefsKTc_3

I'm pretty sure it's not off at all.

As far as They're Going to Get You, I talked about doing a version with a Synth Choir before, even though I think it sounds ridiculously bad. So hopefully that'll make it better for you. Thanks for checking it out! :)
TheDramaticSkull

Listening to it now, its not actually off at all. Maybe I've just heard so many versions of this song that my memory of the midi got a little warped. Also, I am eager to hear the new version of They're Going to Get You with the choir. Thanks!
Shane

Post by Shane »

TheDramaticSkull wrote:Listening to it now, its not actually off at all. Maybe I've just heard so many versions of this song that my memory of the midi got a little warped. Also, I am eager to hear the new version of They're Going to Get You with the choir. Thanks!
No worries. I figured maybe it's been a while since you've heard the original. It kind of threw me off, haha.

But yes, I'll try to get that out sooner rather than later since you're not the first to ask. Thanks for checking out the pack again!
TheDramaticSkull

Image Oh boy!

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”