The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Dancso

Re: The New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by Dancso »

Has anyone else had any issue with chrome eating their profile / theme at all? This is the second time that it has some issue after updating, as far as the profile goes it just deletes the most visited websites list in the new tab page but the more annoying thing is that my theme goes away and becomes impossible to restore somehow.
Initially I had one from a plugin called "My Chrome theme" but it apparently no longer works, then used themebeta.com but even that refuses to install now. Heck I tried drag & dropping my last created theme into the browser and it just does nothing.

Now I can't even switch to some random theme in the store. What gives? :(

EDIT:
So i happened upon a fix by googling the exact error chrome kept giving me upon restarting it:
"Profile error occured - Something went wrong when opening your profile. Some features may be unavailable"
It was causing a number of unpleasant things such as being unable to download certain files or install a theme.
The fix was to delete this file: (if you try this, make sure to create a copy just in case so you don't lose data if it doesn't work!)
C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Data
Restarted and it works now.
Last edited by Dancso on Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Slowly realizing that most every game I play anymore is no fun without mods, bar virtually anything DOOM, Warhammer 40K and Star Wars related.
FuzzballFox

Post by FuzzballFox »

Slowly losing enjoyment of all games! Whoo!!
But then I did just waste all my coins on a Pokemon shuffle game...then two gems...and still fucking lost...maybe that's why I'm bitter lol
That and it's 4.30am and I should be sleeping for work later!
Dumbness aside some games I feel just don't leave that kind of impression on me anyone like they used to, even with new content and all other goodness..I just don't care anymore..
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Doom ain't fun without mods, for me. Sue me.

Coming up with a new(ish) weapon for Guncaster, involving the Hellshot Rifle's sprites... :D
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

DoomKrakken wrote:Doom ain't fun without mods, for me. Sue me.
Why would I do that?

I am sorry if it seems like I am picking on you DoomKrakken but this is a rant to the entire community in general, not to you.

No one can tell you how to enjoy life. No one can tell you how to enjoy video games. That's something YOU have to decide for yourself. And these Doom fundamentalists that keep coming by saying "you aren't playing the REAL Doom, it's just an emulator, tralalalalala etc etc" are wrong. The game you are playing is Doom, or based on Doom, but tuned to YOUR desires. That's one of the things that makes Doom so great is that we can actually do that. There's nothing wrong with it, and unlike many modern games that actively put in efforts to STOP modding - Doom openly encourages it!

Unfortunately, typing that here is just going to go into an echo cavern - it's actually possible that I will not get anyone disagreeing with me here (otherwise what would be the point of coming to the ZDoom site - a site tailored for a port that has spent its entire existence being purely avant garde?). The people who really need to hear that argument are the ones over on Doomworld - not all of them, mind you, just a select few that are numerous enough to cause comments like the one I quoted above to appear.

EDIT: Maybe I got a little fired up typing that - but the point still stands - never let ANYONE judge you for playing the game the way you want to play it.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Well, at least i respect any kind of opinions. Vanilla doom with map wads can be fun, tho.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Captain J wrote:Vanilla doom with map wads can be fun, tho.
Agreed. I play them a lot, myself.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Rachael wrote:
Why would I do that?

I am sorry if it seems like I am picking on you DoomKrakken but this is a rant to the entire community in general, not to you.

No one can tell you how to enjoy life. No one can tell you how to enjoy video games. That's something YOU have to decide for yourself. And these Doom fundamentalists that keep coming by saying "you aren't playing the REAL Doom, it's just an emulator, tralalalalala etc etc" are wrong. The game you are playing is Doom, or based on Doom, but tuned to YOUR desires. That's one of the things that makes Doom so great is that we can actually do that. There's nothing wrong with it, and unlike many modern games that actively put in efforts to STOP modding - Doom openly encourages it!

Unfortunately, typing that here is just going to go into an echo cavern - it's actually possible that I will not get anyone disagreeing with me here (otherwise what would be the point of coming to the ZDoom site - a site tailored for a port that has spent its entire existence being purely avant garde?). The people who really need to hear that argument are the ones over on Doomworld - not all of them, mind you, just a select few that are numerous enough to cause comments like the one I quoted above to appear.

EDIT: Maybe I got a little fired up typing that - but the point still stands - never let ANYONE judge you for playing the game the way you want to play it.
THANK YOU, RACHAEL! :D My thoughts exactly!

But let me recant my previous statement: For me, Doom is fun vanilla... but better with some fix-ins... :D

I will admit to a couple of other things, while I'm at it...
- I've never ever completed any Doom game vanilla (even on a sourceport). You know what? After saying that, now I feel like I should... but only after wrecking wos.wad with Guncaster... :)
- The only mapset I've completely played "Vanilla" was Amuscaria's "Demon Eclipse". I put vanilla in quotations because we all know that Demon Eclipse adds new weapons/monsters and changes the original weapon sprites (and maybe some behavior).
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Playing through E1 of Ultimate Doom (fully Vanilla) is still one of the most relaxing and satisfying things I know. It is one of the few occassions where nostalgia is not a blatant lie :)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

With Nightmare level, the fun gets better and dangerous than the original gameplay itself. Believe me.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

I'm one of those weirdos that play Doom without mods. Usually episode 1 and 2 of Ultimate Doom. The difficulty level I pick is usually way below what I should be playing at, not even ultra violence half the time. And I know where every single monster stands. To me, Doom is about moving through the maps at a high pace while shooting left and right. UV difficulty level has too many monsters where I have to bring out the rocket launcher if I want to move through the level at the speed I'm looking for.

What I almost never do is play mods, because almost all of them have one way or another to prevent me from doing the above. Either they think its fun to be low on ammo, low on health packs, or both. Or they have rooms that are designed to kill me if I advance at a high pace. They also tend to make really large maps that sometimes can take longer to complete than a full Doom 1 episode at the speed I like to play it at. On half of those I just get lost. The very worst mods for me are the ones that decided they don't like one of the original weapons (like kdizd did with the super shotgun) and gave me some gimped unfun replacement. In those maps I just IDKFA and use the (unfun) BFG replacement..

Fun is so very much relative to your personal preferences. :)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

DoomKrakken wrote: Except these are CustomInventory items that are showing the warning (more specifically, Propane Tanks and gold coins dropped from Midas statues in Guncaster). Do those also count?
There's insufficient state to check. To get rid of the warnings, put all states that get run by the item itself into a separate states block, that is declared as 'states(actor)' instead of just 'states'. Then all these functions will get compiled with the assumption that they never get run in the context of the item's user and the warning will disappear. Of course, the states of the Pickup and Use state may not be treated like that, then you will get an error. I'm sorry that there's no better solution but these are the downsides of long-term compatibility.
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

Guys, I found a pre-DOS version of ZDoom ;)
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fi ... 36062.html
timmyr0x0r

Post by timmyr0x0r »

dpJudas wrote:What I almost never do is play mods, because almost all of them have one way or another to prevent me from doing the above. Either they think its fun to be low on ammo, low on health packs, or both. Or they have rooms that are designed to kill me if I advance at a high pace. They also tend to make really large maps that sometimes can take longer to complete than a full Doom 1 episode at the speed I like to play it at. On half of those I just get lost. The very worst mods for me are the ones that decided they don't like one of the original weapons (like kdizd did with the super shotgun) and gave me some gimped unfun replacement. In those maps I just IDKFA and use the (unfun) BFG replacement.
To be fair on KDiZD, it supposed to be a recreation of Ultimate Doom's first episode, which had no SSG nor BFG, sooo...
XanderK9
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by XanderK9 »

Last time I have visited the forum was on April fool's day of last year. A few things have changed since then, I see.

Return to “Off-Topic”