Doom 64: Retribution

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Nevander

Re: [WIP] Doom 64: Retribution - Gameplay Video!

Post by Nevander »

leodoom85 wrote:Good gameplay btw (although it was on Normal difficulty :p).
... and the stage looks much better with the dyn lights.
Yea, except the part when I failed at the secret entrance the first time. I literally slid off the edge, of course it never happens when I'm not recording. And yes, the dynamic lights really help bring out the atmosphere. What good are torches and fires that don't create a light? :)
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

When you're recording a map, ALWAYS there's a time where you fail, no matter what :P
About the dyn lights...exactly right, oh yeah!!!
Freaklore1

Post by Freaklore1 »

Damn do i like dynamic lights,it add so much to the experience,it make the game a bit more eyecatching,especially considering that Doom 64 has color lights for it's environments and that it's dark in some areas,adding dynamic lights to the mix make the game look a bit more colorful.

P.S still waiting for Nevander response to my post on at the bottom of page 2...
Nevander

Re: [WIP] Doom 64: Retribution

Post by Nevander »

Freaklore1 wrote:An idea for one of your new maps,how about a map with lots of tight rooms,it would be a map that give the feeling of claustrophobia if you see what i mean,what do you think about that ?
Sorry didn't reply. One of my new maps was going to take place on/near/around the relay satellite that sends out the message that reports the Mother Demon's doings, which will actually have been brought into Hell much like how Deimos was floating above Hell in Ultimate Doom. I could work in some tight corridors and rooms sorta like Research Lab's monitor halls. That map has always been one of my favorites in the bunch just for that area.
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

not bad. here's what i'd like to see for a Doom 64 TC though. i'd like to see a version, where it's compatible with other mods, like Samsara and more. without needing to worry bout missing textures, props or anything like that
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Textures and props should be untouched by such mods, since all of the Doom 64 props are freshly defined actors apart from a couple (like the dead Cacodemon or something). The problem is the monsters, weapons, and items. It would be possible to strip this mod of that stuff to make it compatible with other mods and I even think Kinsie suggested doing it. I'd be fine with it if someone wanted to de-Doom 64 the mod to an extent so that other mods will work (basically maps + textures only). I most likely won't do it myself but anyone else is more than welcome to fork this once it's released to make their own for compatibility with other mods.

Another alternative is to make patches for those mods to instead replace what I'm replacing.

So if my mod goes "64DoomImp REPLACES DoomImp," those mods would need to do "SamsaraImp REPLACES 64DoomImp." But I don't use Samsara so I don't know what it replaces or does.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Little update. I've been focusing on improving the modern animations (or smooth animations if you will) and have made the following adjustments:

- Chaingun will now spin down after being fired (like Brutal Doom 64's Minigun)
- Shotgun and Super Shotgun completely remade using better and smoother sprites from Almonds
- Shell and bullet casings can be toggled for the modern animations just like Smooth Doom
- Smooth BFG animations added also from Almonds
- Smoother muzzleflashes added to Pistol, Shotgun, Super Shotgun, and BFG (I may add some back to the Plasma Rifle)
- Smoother punch animation
- Some other stuff I can't remember :roll:

None of this will affect the classic original animations however, if you want to play with the good ol' classic Doom 64 animations you can.
Freaklore1

Post by Freaklore1 »

Nevander wrote:Little update. I've been focusing on improving the modern animations (or smooth animations if you will) and have made the following adjustments:

- Chaingun will now spin down after being fired (like Brutal Doom 64's Minigun)
- Shotgun and Super Shotgun completely remade using better and smoother sprites from Almonds
- Shell and bullet casings can be toggled for the modern animations just like Smooth Doom
- Smooth BFG animations added also from Almonds
- Smoother muzzleflashes added to Pistol, Shotgun, Super Shotgun, and BFG (I may add some back to the Plasma Rifle)
- Smoother punch animation
- Some other stuff I can't remember :roll:

None of this will affect the classic original animations however, if you want to play with the good ol' classic Doom 64 animations you can.
Might as well update your previously made 'weapons only' wad with those animations while you are at it.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Freaklore1 wrote:Might as well update your previously made 'weapons only' wad with those animations while you are at it.
I will mostly likely release a version 3 update to D64WEAPS later on with all the improvements over version 2.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

I've now finished all the weapon animations and have both modern and classic versions of them all working, and I've also decided to allow you to use the drop casings option with the classic animations as well. Originally I was only going to allow them to be enabled while the modern animations are in use because it wouldn't make sense for two shells to pop out of a Super Shotgun without it even being opened, but decided it would be best to let you use them interchangeably. That and there's something oddly satisfying about shell and bullet casings no matter the animation, and it's kinda hilarious seeing shells pop out of the shotgun like that. Nothing wrong with choices.

So the next step now is playtesting the whole mapset in sequence. Then I need to merge all the files together and start testing a full build.

I will also fix up the texture pack, because right now some of the Doom 64 "mirrored" textures are actually physically patched up into a single image file instead of being recreated using TEXTURES. All of the textures I had to add for the maps were done with TEXTURES, so it feels weird having some be like that while others are not. I'd imagine using TEXTURES to create them from multiple patches would cost more performance versus a single image as the only patch, but it's probably not even noticeable since there's only ever 2-4 patches at a time. Need some clarification on that.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

I would like to test the this
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

I want to test the maps too...
:)
LordMordecai

Post by LordMordecai »

I'd be quite happy to test this. I've got experience modding GZDoom. I'm also pretty familiar with Doom64. I've played Kaiser's EX version and the original cartridge for the N64.

I'm excited for this project. Having a version of Doom64 with the modding of GZDoom would be amazing.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Just quietly, I don't think he was asking for testers...
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Let's just say that we will all get to experience and fix anything that needs fixing (that I don't end up catching) together. I want it to be a community experience. :wink:

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”