Hocusdoom RELEASED (/idgames pending)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ravage

Re: Hocus Doom (new version 03-07-2016)

Post by ravage »

Current playable version for 01-27-2017
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lez6z75cl4kb9 ... 7.pk3?dl=0
Ogg versions of music (updated)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h4wlfocvkewtm ... g.pk3?dl=0

changelog for - 01-27-17
  • added smartbombs. Kill any monster within a very large radius, but can also be tied to certain enemies too.
  • finished map23
  • added name particles to most item pickups. These can be disabled in Hocus Options.
  • Fixed picking up rapid fire when already under its effect-thus wasting the pickup.
  • Tweaked breakable boxes so they don't get destroyed by smartbombs. (Why were they ignoring damagetypes from A_Explode that weren't called by projectiles? BECAUSE ZDOOM)
  • Made shooting a little faster. Its amazing how much a single frame makes a difference!
  • added rudimentary code for Highscores table. Not part of the menu yet, so check Hocusdoom options to bind it to a key!
  • Also built in support for future bonus episodes too! This thing is ugly as sin but seems to be working.
  • added TEXTCOLO
  • fixed various minor areas in most other maps
  • expanded last room on map13
  • rewrite most of particle handling again. should be a bit more flexible now. This also changed the CVARS that handled them so be sure to check your settings
  • convert TEXTURE1 to zdoom's TEXTURES and moved to main archive. hocustxt.wad no longer needed
  • moved boost pad script to library and fixed.
  • replaced hocus_mp3.pk3 with hocusogg.pk3 for reduced filesize
Last edited by ravage on Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spoone

Re: Hocus Doom (new version 01-27-2017)

Post by spoone »

A few issues i have with the version. The names of the monsters and health don't show up. There's no animation for the monsters when they come they just appear. The monsters don't explode when you kill them they just disappear. Is that supposed to be happening?
ravage

Post by ravage »

spoone wrote:A few issues i have with the version. The names of the monsters and health don't show up. There's no animation for the monsters when they come they just appear. The monsters don't explode when you kill them they just disappear. Is that supposed to be happening?
Check the Hocusdoom options menu, which can be found in the regular Options menu. Some of these CVARS were rearranged and changed so you'll have to double check them.
Hisymak

Post by Hisymak »

Congratulations for another update! It's nice to see more frequent updates recently and a reasonable progress with episode 3. These name particles make it look even closer to the original and the Smart Bomb really works!
It seems I'm getting better FPS and map06 is again playable for me, did you do anything to fix it, or it is just a chance?
And these blue banners from map23 look familiar to me.
sianmagnus

Post by sianmagnus »

Thanks for all the work you have been putting in.
I have noticed that "gzdoom-x64-g2.4pre-219-g4dc1d11" (Latest as of post) has no HUD no matter what settings are changed.
Others have "The monsters don't explode when you kill them they just disappear." or no HUD Issue.
But "gzdoom-x64-g2.4pre-186-g0376c8b" from January 19 appears to work as intened.
ravage

Post by ravage »

Ok, yeah, latest version (g2.4pre-219-g4dc1d11) has zero hud. I'm wondering if the inventory item that blocks the hud during transitions isn't cleared upon starting the game properly, as warping to any map, or even map01 the hud shows up fine. Give me a little bit of time and I'll see if I can put out a quick patch.

Edit: I don't know wtf is going on.

Particles and everything else seems to be working fine though. You may have to edit your gzdoom ini file and clear out any hocusdoom related CVARS.

Edit 2: Well then, don't trust the latest devbuilds to be stable at all. Download the latest release of gzdoom and it will work. Its currently at 2.3.2 and everything does in fact work.
So get it here!
sianmagnus

Post by sianmagnus »

Thanks for the reply. I could use the stable release, but that would not be fun. :D
Not sure why, but I like the nightly builds. No rastional reason and I try them almost daily.
Things tend to break, then magicaly get fixed the next day.
Feb 1 2017 build gzdoom-x64-g2.4pre-303-gb77a0eb appears to work well. HUD and normal monster explosions.
Hisymak

Post by Hisymak »

Good news!
I think I finally figured out how to properly convert the percussion instruments into GENMIDI.
So now, the percussion instruments should sound much better/closer to their original sounding.
Posting the new version in attachment.

Btw, no need to switch to "Dosbox OPL3" opl emulator core, because the "MAME OPL2" emulator was fixed some time ago and now plays the music properly. More info here.
Attachments
hocus_genmidi.wad
(11.66 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
ravage

Post by ravage »

I'll take a look at this!

Edit: I've gotten a chance to give this a listen and it sounds much much better! Definitely going in.
ravage

Post by ravage »

Progress is moving on, and showing off a new feature occasionally found in later levels.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

That wand is definitely new one, alright!
ravage

Post by ravage »

This guy sure is a dick.
Hisymak

Post by Hisymak »

Heh. Thanks for posting these pics.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Oh dude <3
ActionAlligator

Post by ActionAlligator »

Hey, this looks amazing, but the dropbox seems to be down or deleted; anything you can do? Thanks!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”