Your Name: Lieutenant John Doom. Your Mission:

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
affemaria

Re: JohnnyDoom - creative names for doom mods

Post by affemaria »

Oh, sorry, Johnny, wildweasel, I truly thought others had already mentioned it. Well, as soon as I have some time, I'll play it again and make a list of anything unusual that I can find.
nelson01023

Post by nelson01023 »

Not sure if this is a bug but if I headshot a zombieman with the shotgun, they literally explode as if they've been shot with an RPG, however when I do the same to a sergeant, they die normally.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

heron wrote:Hi Johnny,

Finally got around to making an account to post this. Thank you for ALL your hard work, this is seriously fun as hell. I have had a blast playing all incarnations of your mod for about a year.

However, as of the last update, I found I have the opposite problem as some other folks have had... upon going through various wads and as the bodies pile up, my performance takes a HUGE hit. As in, unplayable as the kill count goes above a hundred or so. Prior to that, it's smooth as a baby's bottom. If I understand the troubleshooting posts correctly, I think some folks were having problems exactly opposite? As in, monsters were doing some crazy stuff in an idle, un-awakened state? My performance drops after the carnage. Rest assured, I have taken all steps to possibly improve performance... sprites, particles down; anisotropic and antialiasing down, dynamic lighting isn't that big of a drain, etc etc... I am not using any hi-res textures. While running brutalv20b, it's smooth, and no complaints.

In a nutshell, I'm playing on a computer I built a WHILE ago (2007-08). Yeah, sorry, but that's what I'm working with. I have absolutely no problem playing other wads with a high monster counts, or somewhat hardware-intensive maps. Again, it happened with the last update to BDJ.

Anyone else have an issue like this?
Echoing this too. Same situation here.

Finally got around trying the mod and HOLY BALLS THIS IS GOOD! The guns, sounds, melee, overdrive, enemies, fatalities, fatality rewards, grenades and all the small little details and additions together make up one of the most satisfying game experience's I've ever had the pleasure to enjoy. Been having a blast playing the Ultimate Simplicity mapset that comes with the mod, a gem and a perfect fit for the gameplay.

However, upon reaching Level 6 of the Fortified Base episode, where Mancubuses appear prominently, 200+ monsters and the rocketlauncher makes its first appearance, performance takes a nosedive at the 100 kill mark. Up until that point, it was smooth as silk. Now its practically an unplayable 5fps slideshow.

This is one of my favorite doom mods ever, up there with Project Brutality, Russian Overkill, Guncaster and a few others, so if you can figure out whats going on, I'd be one really happy dude.

Besides that, thank you so much for making this mod. Might run some sub 100 monster oblige maps in the meantime.

P.S. My only complaint is that Archvile's flame obscures vision far too much. Had 2 of them to fight at once on Ultimate Simplicity, completely blocking my vision and cooking my ass for 11 times, before I got over them.
heron

Post by heron »

Spaceman333,

The 100 kill mark, yep. It seems once I cross over that point, things go downhill. Until it gets resolved (no rush), I've been using the version released just prior to the latest, and it works flawlessly. The difference between the latest release and the one I'm using seems to be very minor... from my understanding, the bulk was under the hood and has to do with monster idle processes or something I'm not familiar with. I wish I had some post or day/time to point to regarding exactly which release version this is.

Anyway, for reference, the version I'm using was created on Sat, Oct 22, 2016, modified Wed, Oct 19, 2016 (weird, modified before created?), and is 73.5MB in size. If you have this version, I'd use that for now. If you don't have this one, maybe I can throw it on dropbox or google drive or something.

And I'll throw in another THANK YOU again, johnny! Still having a blast with this.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

A version that works flawlessly? I would really appreciate that! Yes! : D
Toss it up on any of the following service you want and post the link here:

http://www.filedropper.com/
https://wetransfer.com/
heron

Post by heron »

Spaceman333 wrote:A version that works flawlessly? I would really appreciate that! Yes! : D
Toss it up on any of the following service you want and post the link here:

http://www.filedropper.com/
https://wetransfer.com/
wow, that was rather painless. two clicks and here we are:

http://www.filedropper.com/johnnydoom

Now, I want to reiterate that this version works fine for me, and I cannot claim it'll work wonders for all. I do hope it does, because I am certain it lacks whatever changes were made going into the most current release. Anyways, let us know how it goes!
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Thank you, much appreciated! :)

I intentionally made sure that it was a service that didn't require a registration or any other nonsense, so I'm happy to hear you had an easy time with it.
Even if it doesn't end up working better, I still appreciate that you offered it and stuck to your promise. That means a lot to me.
CasualScrub
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by CasualScrub »

Hey guys, I still have the old version of the mod, so in case any of you never got to play the mod when it first came out a few years back, here you go.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hwwaswu1k ... ersion.zip
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

CasualScrub wrote:Hey guys, I still have the old version of the mod, so in case any of you never got to play the mod when it first came out a few years back, here you go.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hwwaswu1k ... ersion.zip
I did not realize how much I missed this version of BDJ (not to discredit how amazing it has become, but goddamn, this was phenomenal).
CasualScrub

Post by CasualScrub »

Devianteist wrote: I did not realize how much I missed this version of BDJ (not to discredit how amazing it has become, but goddamn, this was phenomenal).
It really was great. I find myself playing this version over the newest one because of how much I loved it. There's just certain aspects about it that have been in the new version.

And that's to say, I don't want to discredit Johnny's work either. The new version of the mod is still great, but I have preference for how it used to be honestly.
robocop

Post by robocop »

And that's to say, I don't want to discredit Johnny's work either. The new version of the mod is still great, but I have preference for how it used to be honestly.
What changes didn't you like? I had a blast with an earlier version. It had Power of Love guitar chords as a menu theme, cool grenades (not cookable though), no J points, and fatality rewards that were cool, but needed some tweaking in terms of matching the rewards to how powerful the enemy actually was. Like, I distinctly remember getting way too much health from easy to kill pinkies, and then a measly 70 armor from the hellknight, or even the baron, who was pretty risky in one on one combat at my preferred difficulty setting.

So yeah, I a little behind, and the changelog I looked at is vague. What changes were made, what looks good, and what looks not so good?
CasualScrub

Post by CasualScrub »

robocop wrote:
What changes didn't you like? I had a blast with an earlier version. It had Power of Love guitar chords as a menu theme, cool grenades (not cookable though), no J points, and fatality rewards that were cool, but needed some tweaking in terms of matching the rewards to how powerful the enemy actually was. Like, I distinctly remember getting way too much health from easy to kill pinkies, and then a measly 70 armor from the hellknight, or even the baron, who was pretty risky in one on one combat at my preferred difficulty setting.

So yeah, I a little behind, and the changelog I looked at is vague. What changes were made, what looks good, and what looks not so good?
It's sort of a feeling thing. To me, the new version doesn't feel as good as the old version, a little slower and not as satisfying to me. It also doesn't run as well as the old version does on my laptop. There might also be the preference because I've played that version for so long.

The old version was basically an expansion off of Brutal Doom, with some features being added onto the base mod. It was the first BD submod to add grenades if I remember correctly, and it made emphasis of hand to hand combat, using both punches and kicks quickly and easily.
robocop

Post by robocop »

Well thanks for saving that older version. I'm pretty sure it's the same on I was playing (minus a few edits I made myself). I might be using that file if I have any trouble running the latest version.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

After testing a couple playthroughs with the older and newer version, turns out that my computer is just not powerful enough. I turned on all the low graphics and other performance enchancing options and the game ran mostly smooth, even past 100 kills.

Even with the perfomance options set to low as possible, I only got severe temporary lag whenever I blew up a massive horde of demons with explosives (20 plus enemies at once), which subsided once I got away and the gibs settled. Meanwhile I started noticing minor FPS loss after 220 kills, but it was still quite playable.

Overall, I managed to blast through Ultimate Simplicity's first 10 maps fairly smoothly and had tons of fun. Playing JohnnyDoom with SynthDoom is amazing by the way, that music replacement is so fittingly brutal to the relentless action. Smashing, blasting and blowing up demons moment by moment had me sitting at the edge of my chair feelings immensly empowered and screaming "I AM A GOD" and grunting loudly like a horny caveman.

Goddamn this mod is super satisfying to play. 11/10 Experience. The latest version works good, but make sure your computer is beefy and that the performance settings are set in the JD Menu to lowest possible.

EDIT: Ooor not. Spoke too soon. 60% of the time it works fine, but today I got the wierd dreaded slideshow lag past the 100 kill limit. Sometimes it happens, sometimes not. I think there is definitely a bug of some sort in there. Thankfully its relatively uncommon, so I can still enjoy the mod.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Well... this is peculiar.

Last couple days I've been played through 12 megawads generated with oblige, each containing 32 levels with under 100 enemies. The lag that occured with Ultimate Simplicity's level 5 (or six? it was the one with the first rocketlauncher) never occured during the 12 campaigns. Not even once.

However today as a curious test, I tried setting oblige to push out a progressive-size nuts-enemycount campaign. I've played through 10 levels so far, with monster counts up to 600 per level and I have experienced no lag. Slight framedrops from all the dead carcasses, sure, but nothing drastic or slideshow tier.

Basically, I think the lag problem may have to do something the scripting or other special features that are unique to the mapsets that are included with this mod. Ultimate Simplicity and KDIZD may be the culprits to the lag. The core mod may be fine, but the included map packs may be the problem.

P.S. Please buff the chainsaw. More range, wider arc, more damage, allow kicking and punching while holding it and increase the rate of fire. After about 32x12 maps (thats 384 maps I've played with this mod so far, holy shit), the chainsaw has been outclassed be regular melee everytime. It just sucks stats wise. I love the sound effects and functionality of the saw tho.

Another minor gripe is that the melee critical hit is random when it activates and this often screws up my attempts to execute fatalities. I'm about to punch a hellknight for some sweet 50 hp/armor bonus, only to explode him by accident with a super fist. If it worked as a charged up fatality, similar to critical hits in fallout 4 where you do X amount of hits or kills to power it up, then activate on demand, then that'd be great.

Other than that, this has been probably the most fun I've had in doom so far. Even after 390 maps, I'm still loving this mod and all its features.
Last edited by Spaceman333 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”