[v1.0.0] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Atendega

Re: [v0.4.3] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Post by Atendega »

So I thought something seemed off, and I only just realized what it was. Neccronixis's sprites don't appear to be designed with classic DOOM's vertically stretched aspect ratio in mind.

For example, this gif compares the DOOM 2016 pistol to Neccronixis's sprite, and then to that same sprite as it appears ingame. It's especially obvious that the stretched version is wrong if you pay attention to the circle on the back of the pistol, which becomes a tallish oval on the stretched version.

These should probably be corrected.

EDIT: Oh yeah, this is the case for all the item sprites, too.
Infirnex

Post by Infirnex »

Is it a bump if its 9 days later and on second page? Idk. Taking the risk.

So the doom status bar is almost completely usable with Argent. Almost. Rockets do not appear on the status bar at all. All other ammo works fine (Except BFG ammo if its enabled).

I know this wasn't intended to work with a status bar, but it would be nice if it did, and its almost perfect at the moment.

Post by 0101010 »

Minor bug I found. Using a stun bomb and then some sort of explosive causes this to pop up http://i.imgur.com/R0elLxT.png

I'll try finding the specifics from recreating this bug, but so far I know that it happens after the initial explosion does damage and gibs enemies.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Great work! Loving it so far.

Will you be adding a melee attack usable while wielding weapons?
Ragequit

Post by Ragequit »

The heat blast mod can't fire if you're out of ammo, even if it is charged; is this intentional?

Great work by the way, looking forward to the next update, ZScript is one hell of a new beast for me.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Oops -- definitely not intentional. I'll add that to the bug list -- glad you're enjoying it! I'll get back to work on this soonish hopefully.

@Cyanide: Hmm, maybe; it's a nice convenience, but it'll take enough sprite-lifting that I'll have to backburner it if so. Apologies there -- sprite-fatigued at the moment. :P
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Wait... doesn't the Heat Blast take 2 ammo, in these newer versions of ARGENT?
Ragequit

Post by Ragequit »

You could make a "melee attack while wielding any other weapon" by just utilizing a quick fist attack akin to DN3D's quick kick. (Or have an actual quick kick if that's not too Brewtle Dewm-ish.)
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

I noticed, that once I've picked up a BFG9000, I can't pick it up for ammo afterwards. I've set the mod to use Cells as BFG Ammo. Could that be the problem?
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

Doom 4 For Doom, Zion, D4T are excellent mods, I had a lot of fun with them, congratulations to the creators but Argent is the Doom 4 Mod whose experience I was looking for, very close to Vanilla without many effects. Thanks Xaser for the great work.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Heh, got this open in SLADE for the first time in a while. Thanks for the interest + inspiration, folks!
DoomKrakken wrote:Wait... doesn't the Heat Blast take 2 ammo, in these newer versions of ARGENT?
Huh, it does -- I'd forgotten I had changed that, and I'm now questioning the wisdom of my past-self. I can't recall (nor did I note in a Git commit) whether I had made this change for balance or for some odd technical reason, but at some point I may go back and revisit this. Seems like a really unusual choice in retrospect.
Ragequit wrote:You could make a "melee attack while wielding any other weapon" by just utilizing a quick fist attack akin to DN3D's quick kick. (Or have an actual quick kick if that's not too Brewtle Dewm-ish.)
A "quick-fist" is what I was originally thinking, but that'd take a bit of spritework for the two-handed weapons. A kick, while a bit cliche, is tempting since it would circumvent that problem now that Overlays are now a first-class citizen.
Cyanide wrote:I noticed, that once I've picked up a BFG9000, I can't pick it up for ammo afterwards. I've set the mod to use Cells as BFG Ammo. Could that be the problem?
Hmm, could you give some more specifics? I can't seem to replicate anything troublesome, though one known thing is that if you change the the ammotype mid-game, the pickups won't change themselves so you'll get sub-optimal results (the BFG Cells only give 40 regular cells on pickup, for slight-balance). Beyond that, I'm not sure what's up.
Doctrine Gamer wrote:Doom 4 For Doom, Zion, D4T are excellent mods, I had a lot of fun with them, congratulations to the creators but Argent is the Doom 4 Mod whose experience I was looking for, very close to Vanilla without many effects. Thanks Xaser for the great work.
Thanks for the kind words! It's a bit of a small niche compared to the others, but that's indeed what I'm shooting for. Good to know there's an audience lurking about. :P
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

You gotta remember, you can't be moving around (much) if you're using a leg to kick (unless you're using skates XD). Keep that in mind...

If you were to do the quick punch, you can do as D4D/D4T did, and have the weapon sprite offset to a point where the hand is out of sight, and perform the punch from there...
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Xaser wrote:Hmm, could you give some more specifics?
Here's a demonstration I did just now.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Ah! You can't pick up the weapon for ammo in Cells mode. Duly noted, and filed as a bug. Thanks for the clarification.
Xaser

Re: [v0.5.0] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Post by Xaser »

Hello-bump! v0.5.0 is released! The big draw is the Equipment system now exists, allowing you go buy recharging Frag Grenades a-la-D44M through the Mod Kit menu thingamajig. Hooray features!

Quick changelog since I haven't updated the GitHub one just yet:
  • Added Equipment system -- just Frag Grenades for now, but it's a start. You can now press the Reload key when using the Mod Kit to cycle between pages where you can purchase grenades and/or a backpack. More to come soon!
  • As mentioned above, the backpack is "purchase-able" via the modkit at any time now.
  • Fixed BFG pickups not giving ammo (and a host of other issues related to buggy BFG-pickup coding in general).
  • Fixed Plasma Heat Blast not being able to fire at 0 ammo.
  • Fixed Plasma Stun Bomb and Shotgun Explosive Shots having inverted arcs (*grumble*). Should be the last time I have to tweak this. :P
  • ZScriptified the last few ACS bits (the statusbar & modkit menu).
Downloads are in the usual place: https://static.angryscience.net/pub/doom/mods/argent/

Also-as-usual, have fun with this, and lemme know what you all think!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”