ZDoom Wiki Thread

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: ZDoom Wiki Thread

Post by Rachael »

{{git}} might not work forever, though, depending on what changes with the hosting situation. I cannot guarantee that the new host will support the languages used in Randi's script.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

As a continuation from Randi's news topic - I thought it'd be better to respond to the related topics here.

First off - I was successful in getting ?action=render to work. It is now in ZDoom's "About" page. I will, however, have to check to make sure that the caching system doesn't cache that particular page.

@Gez: You asked what system it used to embed news posts. It's a script Randi made a long time ago that calls up phpBB's internal API. That same script is the one that is in use on DRD Team's Devbuilds site. (You have access to it - just view news.php and page.php - mine's heavily modified but it comes from the same original source).

I think it might be a good idea to do the same thing for the "Downloads" page sometime in the near future. If we wikify the Downloads page, here is what I want: I would like all of the existing links to the latest ZDoom still made available. Pretty much, if you can get it from ZDoom's downloads page now - it should be somehow linked on the Wiki, as well. Second of all - obviously Graf is going to need access to this page. I trust you to set access levels as you deem appropriate for this. Then, thirdly, the latest GZDoom release, along with all of its current official OS/architecture variants, should also be made available on that page.

This is the portal page that finally worked:
Spoiler:
Gez

Post by Gez »

Why no caching?

Okay so [wiki]ZDoom:Download[/wiki] should largely work like the current Download page, at least when it loads the same CSS. I had to keep a lot more of the HTML code because of how it was structured, though that shouldn't be too much of a problem. I did template away the repetitive part of linking files with a zip icon.

Page is protected, any administrator can change it. (Yes, Graf has administrator status.)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Alright. Portaled that page, too.

The problem with the cache is, it is static, so intervention is required in order to update it on the front page.

EDIT: Fixed the cache problem. Also fixed a couple cosmetic issues with the page.

EDIT2: Now we just need to decide how best to link GZDoom to that page. I'm willing to import it directly into the /files/ folder under its own subfolder.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Could someone who knows how it works add this to the wiki, please?
Gutawer

Post by Gutawer »

https://zdoom.org/wiki/GetSpecies
Started creating articles for ZScript functions. If I'm doing something badly or wrong, please tell me.
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Obligatory notice that we have classes other than Actor goes here.
Obligatory notice that we have functions like GetPlayerInput in ACS goes here.

There should be a 100% stable way to distinguish ZScript functions from everything else so that automatic links to the documentation can be made (e.g. in SLADE, GZDB, or theoretical ZScript IDE plugin we can eventually get).
Besides, there's this initiative by dpJudas to automatically generate documentation which would work best if structured properly.
I propose %classname%:%funcname% for specific functions and %classname% for describing fields.

pls, Gez, stop ignoring this question like you did in the previous page...or the previous previous...whatever. I asked like 3 times already how to document ZScript stuff with the fact that we have real lots of it.
The reason why I'm asking you is that this should be written in the wiki guidelines so that everyone starts documenting classes in an uniform way like we have for DECORATE, not like someone is doing this, someone else is doing this, and then someone else just documents everything in separate pages.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I haven't closely followed ZScript's development, so no I'm not the best placed to organize its documentation since I am barely aware of what there is to document about it in the first place. I don't see what strong about [wiki]String[/wiki] and [wiki]ThinkerIterator[/wiki].

But as a general guideline, keep article titles simple, don't use needless disambiguators. I already said that it's logical for the ZScript implementation of a sector to be covered in a section of the [wiki]Sector[/wiki] article, this kind of things.
Gutawer

Post by Gutawer »

So, obviously in my decision to add some of these functions as separate pages I've been making a few edits, 15 hours ago or so I made about 8 edits in the space of around 50 minutes and the wiki has locked me out from further editing, telling me to "try again in a few minutes". What is the actual lock-out time, because it really doesn't seem to be "a few minutes", far as I can tell. :P
Gez

Post by Gez »

Xaser had a similar problem some time ago. He waited for two or three days before trying again IIRC.

I think we need a new usergroup for the wiki, something like "writer" or whatever which would let known users write without limits, without having to promote them to administrator for that.
ZzZombo

Post by ZzZombo »

Autoconfirmed users should have much lax throttling, IIRC. Don't we have that?
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Downloading_the_ZDoom_Wiki

A couple of years ago I was able to download the wiki with the wget sommandline for off-line viewing.
For some reason this no longer works. All I get is this
Spoiler:
Is there a new procedure to download the wiki ?
Gutawer

Post by Gutawer »

Seems to work fine for me. Though you could try using https rather than http since it's moaning about SSL, and if that doesn't work, just try using the --no-check-certificate flag as it suggests.
EDIT: Just tried on wget.exe instead of the Unix wget, and I get the same error. If you can, you could just use a bash terminal to do it instead since that seemed to work fine for me, however --no-check-certificate works fine for me with wget.exe so it's probably easiest just to use that.
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

Gutawer wrote:....., however --no-check-certificate works fine for me with wget.exe so it's probably easiest just to use that.
I used

Code: Select all

"wget.exe" -rk https://zdoom.org/wiki/Main_Page --no-check-certificate --html-extension
It worked like a charm. Thank you.

However, how can I prevent it from downloading files other than WIKI items ?
For example only files from https://zdoom.org/wiki/ but not from https://zdoom.org/files/

I tried the level option --level= with 0, 1, 2 etc. but that did not work.
Would somebody have some insight with that?
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

Does anybody know of a HTML to MediaWiki editor that actually works ? For Win 10 and preferably free.
I tried several Google searches without much success.

Return to “Rules and Forum Announcements”