GZDoom discussion (Version 2.3.1 released 2016/jan/7)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: GZDoom discussion (Version 2.3.1 released 2016/jan/7)

Post by Rachael »

As long as the engine has an internal switch (whether or not it's controlled by the modder is up to you) that tells it whether the Doom64-like lighting is turned on or not - I can go with that.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The Doom64-like lighting should not be a switch but presence of the properties. The default for these colors needs to be (255,255,255) with absolute set to false, which would not change anything.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

That's fine - as long as there's an easy way for me to check.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Eruanna wrote:One step at a time, there, sparky! :shock:

If the light mode is ever introduced, I am sure that a mechanism will eventually be introduced to copy it from one sector to another, but it might now happen on the same day. :P maybe the same week...
Yea I know, I'm quite eager to do multi-color lighting in GZDoom. It's so fun to mess around with in Doom Builder 64. I find myself sometimes just changing a level's lights to really random stuff and end up with rainbow lighting. :)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Have fun, it got just committed.

You'll probably have to use light level 255 for all sectors and set an explicit fog density to get the proper effect.
jmickle

Post by jmickle »

Hey, just noticed something on the latest devbuild, not checked on previous version yet; when i use the IDKFA cheat, my armor is completely ignored. If i pick up armor in the map it appears to work correctly, but then even after picking some up, using IDKFA will say i have 200 armor but act as if I have zero. My armor value never goes down after taking damage either.

I'm using gzdoom pre-219, x64 on windows 7
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Well, nice to see that there have been no new devbuilds for 9 days. Why hasn't anybody said a word? That said, today's build shows no problems.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

If the devbuilds have stalled, I still keep QZDoom up to date. Those are not on Blzut's build system.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Graf Zahl wrote:Have fun, it got just committed.
I see things like this in the Z-UDMF specs:
floorglowcolor = <integer>; // Sector's floor glow color as RRGGBB value, default = 'use texture's definition'. Set to -1 to disable glowing.
What is the default value exactly? If it's literally the string "use texture's definition" it's not an integer but a string. Is it zero because a black glow would be useless, and -1 has a different effect?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The default value is 0, but it means to use the texture's glow definition.
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

Devbuilds should be unstuck now.
Expect No Mercy

Post by Expect No Mercy »

I have a simple question:

Is it possible to build a retro shader, like the one they use in recalbos-os for GZdoom?

Like that CRT look.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Most of the stuff supported by Recalbox are game consoles (they integrate a few PC things like ScummVM and PrBoom, but that's a tiny minority).

Consoles were plugged on a TV screen, Doom was played on a PC monitor. Completely different image quality. The TV screen is designed to be watched a couple meters away; a computer monitor is designed to be watched about 30 cm away. Keep that in mind when talking about CRT retro shaders; because typically they involve scanlines, something that certainly was present on consoles displayed on a TV CRT, but not for computer monitors. Likewise, flatness was more important for monitors than for TVs (after all, people worked on these things) so monitors had much less of a fish-eye effect than TV screens.

All that to say that a console emulator's retro shaders are not appropriate for Doom IMO; or at least the effect should be made really subtle.
Expect No Mercy

Post by Expect No Mercy »

Yes I see..

Totally forgot that, cause it's 15-20 years ago I used such an old PC monitor. Thanks. :oops:
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

How do I completely disable exposure? It makes bright things gray, most obvious example being BFG explosion in the face, but it also affects my map where bright (but not overbright) lava surfaces become darker and grayer.
Don't think it should be enabled by default like that, breaks regular Doom level lighting.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”