The future of ZDoom, GZDoom, and QZDoom, and this site.

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: The future of ZDoom, GZDoom, and QZDoom, and this site.

Post by Rachael »

Also with responsive design - I also wanted to point out that our version of Mantis uses that, too. Hit Ctrl-+ until the page collapses to see it working.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Eruanna wrote:So do what you need to do - educate me on what parts need to be dynamic and where it should pull content from. As dpJudas said - it's easy enough to separate the blocks of code Joomla generates and scriptify whatever parts needed on my own.
In case of that I am pretty much done with the page as it is now. The only "dynamic" areas are actually the News menue, the Screenshots menue and the Start landing page with the "News" and the "Latest Projects Showcase" that need updates from time to time. Beyond that, some places (e.g. Features) still need better or actual content but that's it. Everything else should work well - so feel free to start turning it into static code :)

BTW, keep in mind that "News" and "Start" share the same data for news entries without being redundant. Same goes to the project showcase on "Start" and the projects on "Screenshots".

If you need raw data, let me know and I can pack up the whole page as ZIP (with all the files and a SQL dump) if needed. For the copyright notice I'd be happy if you could leave the footer as is :)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

The "Latest Projects" can be pulled from the Wiki or the forum. I can simply open a topic on phpBB and give you access to that. If special tags need to be added for that, it's quite easy to do it in the ACP's BBCode editor.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

You shouldn't automate that but moderate it. The showcase should be only for projects that are finished, playable and/or of more than average quality. It shouldn't be a copy of the projects forum and you should be able to add manual projects to the showcase as well (older projects for example)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I was going to let you moderate it. Check your forum index.
Death Egg

Post by Death Egg »

So, if there isn't somewhere explaining this already, is there anywhere that says all of what else needs to be done to get QZDoom to a point it can merge with GZDoom? Maybe a topic of a roadmap consisting of bullet points of everything needed to be finished on either end before the merge can be completed, with each thing being striked out as it's finished?

On a similar topic, has randi given the okay yet to use the name ZDoom v3.0 for the combined product?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

No, Randi has not given the OK.

The software refactoring is mostly done. It just needs more testing, really, and then it's up to Graf what he wants to do.
TechnoDoomed1

Post by TechnoDoomed1 »

Just out of curiosity, how is Tormentor667's new test site going? Is it going to be the new webpage for ZDoom and its child ports, or just a proof of concept that has been discarded?
Rachael wrote:No, Randi has not given the OK.
When you say Randi has not given the OK, I suppose you mean that she opposed the idea?

If that's so, it's a shame.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

It means that she has not even acknowledged whether she wants it or not. Out of respect for her I am not going to force the issue. Generally a lack of response on her part means "no."

As for the site revamp, it is still being worked on but it's really low on the priority list.
Death Egg

Post by Death Egg »

Well in that case then, if it won't be able to be called ZDoom, when GZDoom and QZDoom merge perhaps they can have a new name? Something more catchy and unique then just a letter and the name of the game the engine is based on? Maybe something more ambiguous and not mentioning Doom since so many non-Doom games are on the engine, like 3DGE? Or if it keeps the name Doom in the title, at least something more cool or clever. Who knows, a rebranding might cause a surge of new players to come?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

That's really up to Graf. Personally I don't see much reason to do this.

We could try a "name the port" contest to see what Graf likes best but to be honest, if he even bothers to entertain such a thing I doubt he'll let it last long.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Rachael wrote:That's really up to Graf. Personally I don't see much reason to do this.
Ditto. I suspect such a rebranding effort would be much like Time Warner's research and investigations as to whether or not they should change the Atari logo after they acquired that company. (So legend goes, Atari spent four digits on that logo, and Time Warner spent six to be told not to fuck with it, because it was so instantly recognisable :) )

A name that doesn't mention Doom is something more for GZDoom-GPL's ballcourt.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

I'm out of the loop here but why does the name have to be changed? Or is that just an idea, not that it has to be?
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Nevander wrote:I'm out of the loop here but why does the name have to be changed? Or is that just an idea, not that it has to be?
It's a "it'd be nice" thing, as I understand it.

Idle Thought: QZDoom should keep being a thing after the Big Merge, and be used as like an "experimental fork" for things that aren't quite, or may never quite be, at the point where Graf is comfy with them.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Kinsie wrote:Idle Thought: QZDoom should keep being a thing after the Big Merge, and be used as like an "experimental fork" for things that aren't quite, or may never quite be, at the point where Graf is comfy with them.
QZDoom will either continue or be revived if the need arises. If Graf does merge in all of QZDoom's current features, it can definitely be more of a testbed for ZZYZX's and Major Cooke's more risky things in the future. However, it might be renamed for its new purpose after that point.

Return to “General”