Screenshot submissions

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Screenshot submissions

Post by Rachael »

Deadline: I will be accepting no more submissions after Sun 05/Feb @ 23:59 UTC

It has been suggested in my other thread that the front page for ZDoom hosts a few select screenshots to show what the ZDoom & GZDoom & its derivatives are capable of.

I could come up with a few screenshots of my own - but - why do that when there's an endless number of people who want to show some things off on their own? If you've been looking for an opportunity for a shameless plug - this is it.

So - here are the rules:

1) Keep this thread on topic. This is for screeshots only. If you want to discuss them, please start another thread.

2) If enough screenshots are submitted, I may even turn this into a competition where the community gets to vote on the best shots.

3) Keep in mind - there is no guarantee that these will be put on the front page. It's currently a desired plan, but that plan has not yet been fleshed out. This thread is to solicit submissions.

4) You may submit screenshots of your own map (in progress or completed), or someone else's (completed projects only!). No screenshots from "terrywads" (or similar type projects) will be accepted. No copyright-infringing screenshots will be accepted either.
- 4a) Gameplay mods are also accepted with the same rules as maps, as long as they have a unique enough HUD (mods such as Ultimate DoomVisor, D4D, etc)
- 4b) Graphic and weapon/monster replacement screenshots are accepted also.

5) The areas shown must be reachable by the player through normal progression of the map. (That means no no-clipping through the walls and taking a screenshot of the void, or a map's control/tele-ambush sectors)

6) Please provide a link to your mod, along with details about its required game engine (i.e. GZDoom) and its preferred settings (gl_lightmode, tonemap, bloom, exposure, etc)

7) Screenshots from any available renderer from the following engines are accepted: ZDoom, GZDoom, QZDoom, Zandronum, 3DGE, ECWolf. (ZDaemon and Odamex are accepted too, but please tone down their gamma settings)

8) You may take screenshots of commercial Doom/Doom2/Heretic/etc maps - however, the areas must be exceptionally notable, whether for its architecture or for other features. Please do not show screenshots of glitched features (like span floodfills common in Heretic and some parts of "Nirvana" in Doom2) - using these screenshots to show off GL Brightmaps/Lights in these areas is a plus.

9) Make sure I can actually obtain and download the image! Advertising-heavy sites such as ImageShack and PhotoBucket are completely inaccessible for me. I recommend Imgur, Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive - I usually have no problems downloading from those.

10) Quality, quality, quality. We're trying to show off the beauty of our beloved game engine - not the garish textures and poor design choices that some mappers are capable of. :P If you think it looks good with bloom and tonemaps - turn it on! Make it shine. Don't overblow the effects so much though, that they pretty much remove any discernible detail from an image.

11) There is no limit to how many screenshots you may submit for consideration. But please keep in mind #10.

12) Rules may be amended and updated by the forum staff at any time at their discretion.
Guardsoul

Re: Screenshot submissions

Post by Guardsoul »

How many screenshots can be posted per user?
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Can they be from a mod in progress or does it have to be released?
Guardsoul

Post by Guardsoul »

Nevander wrote:Can they be from a mod in progress or does it have to be released?
4) You may submit screenshots of your own map (in progress or completed), or someone else's (completed projects only!).
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

Guardsoul wrote:How many screenshots can be posted per user?
I think there's no limit until Eruanna decides to make the screenshots eligible by voting as she stated as well.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

What would be the ideal size of the submitted screenshots ?
kodi

Post by kodi »

I assume screenshots featuring copyright-infringing content is discouraged? Might want to state your policy on that in the first post.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Here's a couple of different tacks I played with, just to break the ice. 720p resolution. Not amazing, compared to some stuff I've done in the past, but hopefully they coax people into contributing better.

I find it useful, when taking promotional shots, to use the "freeze" console command to move freely around an action scene to find a good visual composition. I also like to bind a key to "toggle r_drawplayersprites; toggle crosshair" to let me quickly turn off the weapon and crosshair where necessary.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

http://imgur.com/a/1RraB Here're my screenshots kit.
Also @Rev, you should add some of your akzos city screenshots :p

EDIT: Ops, here are the links:
Spooky House
Glitch Land
Who Dun It (not my Project)
Total Chaos (not my Project)
Zombie Horde - Abandoned Mines (it's a "community" Project so my map is the one from the screenshots)
Flappy Lost Soul
The tomb raider one may be linked to the same page as the zombie horde one, but I didn't posted it yet.
Another DoomGuy Dream (well it's over zandro fórum but it Works 100% on gzdoom) (I shal release this one over this fórum) (ignore the drama)
Last edited by ibm5155 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Zanieon wrote:
Guardsoul wrote:How many screenshots can be posted per user?
I think there's no limit until Eruanna decides to make the screenshots eligible by voting as she stated as well.
Added #11 to answer this.
Kappes Buur wrote:What would be the ideal size of the submitted screenshots ?
Up to you.
kodi wrote:I assume screenshots featuring copyright-infringing content is discouraged? Might want to state your policy on that in the first post.
Updated. Done.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Kinsie wrote:Here's a couple of different tacks I played with, just to break the ice. 720p resolution. Not amazing, compared to some stuff I've done in the past, but hopefully they coax people into contributing better.

I find it useful, when taking promotional shots, to use the "freeze" console command to move freely around an action scene to find a good visual composition. I also like to bind a key to "toggle r_drawplayersprites; toggle crosshair" to let me quickly turn off the weapon and crosshair where necessary.
ibm5155 wrote:http://imgur.com/a/1RraB Here're my screenshots kit.
Also @Rev, you should add some of your akzos city screenshots :p
Thank you both for those. :) Keep them coming!
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I had a few shots lying around, so here's a gallery. They're all 1600x900 since I play windowed.
Guardsoul

Post by Guardsoul »

There you go:
Spoiler:
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

@ Wildweasel & Guardsoul: Thanks!

@ Guardsoul: Do you have map names? I need those.
kodi

Post by kodi »

http://imgur.com/a/4Ngzl

Beach, staircase: "The Island"

Dark red room with monitor: Putrefier + Smooth Doom

F22 and mountains: WIP shot of my own project

And then an obvious BoA shot :P

Return to “General”