[Textures] Doom 3 for Doom

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
hidfan

[Textures] Doom 3 for Doom

Post by hidfan »

You can find here 1650+ doom3 textures converted to oldgen engine texturing (no normal, height or spec maps).
(they are available as individual PNG and zipped paks)

> > D3RetroTex on GoogleDrive

You can use these freely, have fun, no credits needed, excepted maybe for the awesome id's artists =)
-Adrian Carmack
-Kevin Cloud
-Andy Chang
-Pat Duffy
-Seneca Menard
-Kenneth Scott
-Patrick Thomas
-Ted Anderson
-Pat Jones

Todo :
-256 colors
-brightmaps, animations, wad (any help, advise, tips are welcome here, I still don't have a lot of experience in this domain yet)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
visit theDooomWorld thread for te latest update : https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/9 ... -for-doom/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some showcase of the texture pak in action :

here is an awesome doom3 style (monsters and weapons) Map using the texture pak, by DooMero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI-vAtnMRMU&t=1s

and another amazing Doom3 style map for doom2 by DooMero as well
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/9 ... site-beta/
Last edited by hidfan on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
SyntherAugustus

Re: Doom 3 Retro Texturing Project

Post by SyntherAugustus »

This ought to be in Resources

Also folks are probably going to want to see a screenshot of what they're downloading. I took a quick screengrab.
http://imgur.com/a/LY0Zv

That being said, some of these look really good.
ThrashfanBert1994

Re: [Textures] Doom 3 for Doom (WIP)

Post by ThrashfanBert1994 »

i downloaded it says access denid or what :(
hidfan

Post by hidfan »

ThrashfanBert1994 wrote:i downloaded it says access denid or what :(
I haven't received any other reports like this one.
I tried to dowload them with a separate account, and it worked, zip files are not corrupted.
However it told me it couldn't check virus in the files before downloading, but I still could pass over the warning and download them.
Maybe that's what happened to you ?
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

Definently will be using these to get me back into mapping, Especially considering I loved Doom 3/4's enviroments.
AlphaEnt
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by AlphaEnt »

I'm a little curious about it.

Which technique did you use to rip those textures?
I was doing something similar for a mod sometime ago, but my computer broke and lost the whole texture pack i've did.

Back then i opened the internal Doom 3 map editor, which showed textures preview with spec maps, normal, and the whole stuff.
The only backside was that all textures were showed at 256x256 (or at least one axis at 256 px), so i had to adjust manually all textures to their respective sizes.

I have the project on hiatus by the moment, however i've just found this and wanted to ask.
Spoiler:
hidfan

Post by hidfan »

The project is continuing.
I did a v3 version of the textures, less dark, more saturated, fits better other doom textures and converts better to the palette.
The paletted version of V3 is not finished yet, I tried new techniques and restarted it (using a LUT in photoshop allows me to use all photoshop power and view the 256 colors in real time), and I do tweaks per texture.
I've received some help on the thread at doomworld forums, an early pk3 with brightmaps is available made by Mr Rocket.

For the conversion, I used substance designer.
-created nodes using the original textures as input and converting them to PBR rendering, + ambiant occlusion + fake shadows
-I used the viewport render of the result as source for photoshop
-(copy, paste, crop, resize).

Here is a snapshot of how it can look in substance designer:

and the final conversion process in photoshop

Note : I Downsize with "nearest neighbour" parameter, not bicubic or bilinear filtering, this keeps sharpness and a cool pixel art feeling, closer to the doom textures.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

If you sharpen the texture beforehand the bicubic/bilinear/fant resizing will look better than nearest neighbour.
hidfan

Post by hidfan »

I disagree.
The sharpen filters flattens images, and is doing modifications I dislike a lot (dark and bright parts appear,). I avoid this filter as much as possible.
In the past I was using the other resize filters in photoshop, but I no longer do this.
The filtering of textures when a frame is rendered "ingame" adds bilinear or stronger (anisotropic) filtering, that process will "re-blur" the texture.
In the end you apply 2 blurring filters, and lose sharpness, so total equation is : sharpness filter artifact + blurry details + blurry details.
I prefer of all the following tests the fidelity of "nearest" for small details, and contrasts but this is probably a matter of taste :)
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

Yeah, its a matter of opinion as I think the sharpen+bicubic looks the best. A thing to keep in mind is that the renderer only applies filters if you have the relevant settings turned on so you shouldn't count on it being used universally.

The textures are still coming out good regardless of which resizing method though, so keep it up.
DOOMGABR [RU]

Post by DOOMGABR [RU] »

I love your work :) :) :) I'm making remake D3 on GZDoom, may I use this fckin awesome resource pack?

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
p.s.: I'm use my own ripped resource pack from d3 now.
hidfan

Post by hidfan »

DOOMGABR [RU] wrote:I love your work :) :) :) I'm making remake D3 on GZDoom, may I use this fckin awesome resource pack?
I can't wait to see it in action, your screens are pretty cool !
DOOMGABR [RU]

Post by DOOMGABR [RU] »

Thank you for your textures! look at this :)

Screenshot:

https://pp.vk.me/c637222/v637222505/358 ... ibPFEk.jpg
Last edited by DOOMGABR [RU] on Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Well, that certainly shows, when used well, just how effective those textures can be. Scrolling past it quickly, I thought it was a Doom3 screenshot until I saw the corpses and the weapon.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Hi, could you shrink the screenshot or convert it to a clickable link instead? It is too large for the forum.

Return to “Resources”