Angry Anna : Christmas Quest

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Angry Anna : Christmas Quest

Post by Wiw »

Well I'll tell you one thing, I'm looking forward to Terminus' stream on this WAD!

Have you been watching too much hotdiggetydemon?
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Why does every description sound like a Terrywad? With the loud sounds, rape jokes, et. al.? I thought we didn't allow those here.

8-)
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

It's pretty much a terrywad without the malice of a terrywad, just a badly twisted, unfunny conception of fun.
Angel-Neko_X
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Angel-Neko_X »

Caligari87 wrote:Why does every description sound like a Terrywad? With the loud sounds, rape jokes, et. al.? I thought we didn't allow those here.

8-)
Look! I don't know what a Terrywad is but if it sounds like a name as Terry! I don't know him!
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

lmao my dude
how toxic, terrible, boring, and basic can u even BE with this
this sucks so bad
ZioMcCall

Post by ZioMcCall »

Angel-Neko_X wrote:
Caligari87 wrote:Why does every description sound like a Terrywad? With the loud sounds, rape jokes, et. al.? I thought we didn't allow those here.

8-)
Look! I don't know what a Terrywad is but if it sounds like a name as Terry! I don't know him!
Don't know Terry wads? :shock:
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Angel-Neko_X wrote:Look! I don't know what a Terrywad is but if it sounds like a name as Terry! I don't know him!
Go check out some Aquarius199's crappy doom wad review videos and you'll know what terry guy and his followers are.

And if i can explain what terrywad is, it's the wad just all about fooling, ear-tormenting and offensive for-no-reason-but-lulz.
Doomguy 2000

Post by Doomguy 2000 »

My review like I promised myself yesterday and making sure I post it in this thread before it get eventually locked from what I've seen from the replies.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

All I really have to say is Whoops!
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I am not going to jump on the train and say this mod was bad. But I won't say it was good, either. I did have a lot of the same gripes Jimmy had, but I am going to disagree with him in saying this was "irredeemably bad."

I won't repeat much of what Jimmy said, except the part about the "FFUUUU" - I agree that it probably could have been left out.

The language/grammar in the mod isn't up to par, but I could still understand it plenty well enough. Obviously English is not the author's native tongue - so I don't even know why we're nitpicking that, really. Why is anyone nitpicking someone's English skills over the bloody internet? I've seen worse - honestly, guys... and with nothing more than mere pronoun and plurality errors, the message still carried through quite effectively, and that is in essence what language is all about. As long as you can understand what is being said then it has served its purpose.

What would have really helped this mod is more original work. The concept of Angry Anna is actually a good one - using less outsourced monsters/textures from other works would have helped this mod nicely - and also, don't use memes - they really don't translate well into Doom mods, especially because memes age horribly and a Doom mod will last a lot longer than a meme ever will.
Doomguy 2000

Post by Doomguy 2000 »

I was going to edit my previous post but, I've decided to also review his Halloween Quest that starts the same protagonist.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

Eruanna wrote:don't use memes - they really don't translate well into Doom mods, especially because memes age horribly and a Doom mod will last a lot longer than a meme ever will.
This is very much true. The overuse of outdated memes plus a poor grasp of English meant that the jokes always fell flat, and oftentimes led to a huge amount of confusion on my end as to what was actually happening.

I say "jokes"... but I really wouldn't class this as a "joke WAD" because even though there were "gags" (well, memes in place of actual comedy), it wasn't... funny. Offensive humor is a fine art and only works if you can deliver a proper joke. Rape is simply not a decent punchline. Profanity thrown randomly into the dialogue does not make it witty. Poor joke construction was basically everywhere, mostly due to the language barrier. This thing was plagued with such problems in its brand of humor.

And I'm just talking about the humor here - as I outlined in my post a few times, it just wasn't even fun to play even if I ignored the dialogue and cutscenes. The maps were poorly designed, and the custom content that was there was utterly bumfuzzling, like the pigs and the murderous bike pony and the literal vagina tunnel. I disliked all the characters in this, especially the main protagonist(s).

I believe I've thrown shit at Angel-Neko long enough and I do know that I'm just needlessly lashing the dead chainsaw-wielding equine at this point, but I really want to just hammer home that this type of WAD should not be encouraged. Regardless of whether it was made in the spirit of TerryWADs, it still carries the same brand of obnoxious non-humor with its loud noises, overuse of profanity and generally childish sense of "humor". They're nearly all over the place. We've seen enough of them.

And while I absolutely don't condone totally dogpiling on Angel-Neko's effort, I feel like having a certain eye for some kind of quality is hardly "jumping on the train". We need to stop mollycoddling, and say to stuff like this: "this shit is old now, please for the love of God try and do better". In no uncertain terms, though preferably non-inflammatory. As such...
Angel-Neko_X wrote:Piss... ._.
Feel like I'm giving you all a poisonous christmas present right now!
Unfortunately you kinda did. Maybe go in a different direction with your work. Learn from your mistakes and from the positively-received work of mappers in the community that are held in high regard. There's a lot around here that can help you.
meatjoy

Post by meatjoy »

Yeah I tried this an hour ago.
Excessive script doesn't make a good mod.
Also I'm assuming you gave credit to the people who made the random trademarked stuff you put in, because I can tell you only made about 4% of custom graphics.
Those graphics in particular, you probably rushed this, study some anatomy and do some life drawings and try to translate that into doom.

Ok one thing I did like was that little ramp in the "femnazi" base, and I cracked a smile when I killed the first revenant.

Don't take this the wrong way, can you try to come up with your own jokes?, not meme inspired?, I'm not here to shoot you down.

Return to “Levels”