GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix, a maintenance fork of GZDB

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
ZZYZX

Re: GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix, a maintenance fork of GZDB

Post by ZZYZX »

And what's wrong about it? Old GZDB is not compatible with GZDBBF's config? I mean even if you wanted to use both at the same time, the config should kinda load anyway. I think.
Even though I don't understand why would you use both this and the original GZDB at once.

I also think for end user it's actually better when they don't have to reconfigure their editor from scratch.
If you really think that I shouldn't use GZBuilder.cfg, I might try renaming own config file and simply copying GZBuilder.cfg in case GZBuilder-Bugfix.cfg doesn't exist.
That would achieve both loading of the old config and writing into the new one, but I'm afraid it can cause confusion.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

ZZYZX wrote: Pretty sure you can disable that in the settings: Script editor tab, "Auto close brackets".
I must have had blinders on when I look at that.
Works now, Thank you.
ZZYZX wrote: Also, what exactly errors are there when it "doesn't compile" in SLADE?
When it happens there are no errors. It just did not compile the script and I had to compile the script with GZDB.
ZZYZX wrote: Maybe you should point it to the right compiler? I pointed SLADE to the ZDoom acc.exe included with GZDB, and it works just fine.

MaxED always did a good job to keep the ACS files updated.
Plus, I frequently use UPDATEACS to obtain the latest files from GitHub.
ZZYZX wrote: Yea it definitely should be called MeowsaurEditor.
MeowsaurEditor it is then.
I suppose the config file will then be ME.cfg ?
ZZYZX wrote: Also, what happens to the config though?
See my response to Nash.
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Kappes Buur wrote:See my response to Nash.
See my response to yourself. :P
illuknisaa

Post by illuknisaa »

ZZYZX wrote:
illuknisaa wrote:Feature request:
Ability to use "page forward" and "page backward" keyboard shortcuts to browse through the texture selection. Currently I find little inconvenient to put mouse cursor on top of folder icon on top of texture selection and press RMB.
Clarification needed. What RMB? I mean, you select items with LMB :)
Also what are page forward and page backward? Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab?
Oops yeah I meant LMB.
In my my mouse I've put functions called "back" and "forward" to mouse buttons 4&5. Basically they allow you go back to the previous browser page and vice versa with "forward". This also works in normal folders in windows. I think most mouses that have 5+ buttons have this functions by default at least ones that come with any kind of extra software (there is also free software called X-Mouse Button Control).

I like the lump editor in gzdb. It's convenient to have all things in the same place and after it was included in gzdb I've pretty much stopped using slade.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Kappes Buur wrote:That's just it.
Both editors overwrite the GZBuilder.cfg file.
Ah, I see. IMO this isn't really a "problem" for me because technically, GZDBBF is a continuation of the same program, so... :P
NGX

Post by NGX »

So when exactly did MaxEd quit? :?:

I just went to update GZDBuilder and noticed "the maintenance fork" is a separate download with an identical file size, so I guess I haven't even tried it yet? But so was it just recently that MaxEd bid adieu?

Oh by the way, I found the problem with my map.

I got the sector property glitches when making a new sector inside a bigger sector, because I had three one-sided linedefs in the big sector. Deleting those three fixed the glitching when making new sectors here.
riderr3

Post by riderr3 »

NGX wrote: I got the sector property glitches when making a new sector inside a bigger sector, because I had three one-sided linedefs in the big sector. Deleting those three fixed the glitching when making new sectors here.
It's happened to me sometimes, but very rarely.
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

NGX wrote:So when exactly did MaxEd quit? :?:

I just went to update GZDBuilder and noticed "the maintenance fork" is a separate download with an identical file size, so I guess I haven't even tried it yet? But so was it just recently that MaxEd bid adieu?
Yes, recently (like 1.5-2 weeks ago or so), and yes it's a separate download, so that people can still download the vanilla GZDB if they don't like the new one for whatever reasons.
printz

Post by printz »

Ok, so how do I add stub DECORATE definitions for non-ZDoom game configurations? I suspect MaxED disabled the feature for some configurations! I opened vaprdemo.wad using the Eternity (Doom) configuration and I saw none of the new monsters in "EDFMonsters".

EDIT: Sorry for appearing irritated :(
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

I don't think there's a way to disable specific script parsers depending on configuration right now. Not sure why DECORATE doesn't work, will check later.
Edit: there is a check actually, but for whatever reason it's not in the global initialization, but in the DECORATE parser itself.

Code: Select all

if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(General.Map.Config.DecorateGames))
I believe it doesn't explicitly block anything, but requires you to set the game names for DECORATE to pick up (i.e. Doom).
Not sure why does it stop parsing if the game name is not defined, while more logical would be to simply parse everything that's found.
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SanyaWaffles »

I voted ok to remove the unneeded added script parsers.

There's a reason for this: I use Notepad++ for editing all my text files, and I then use SLADE 3 to edit the directory, and 7z to pack test versions of my TCs.

Since the inclusion of the tncluded editor functionality, GZDB has been locking the map WADs, causing this to break., It only did that after MaxED introduced the scripting additions. I mean, the map is loaded into a temporary WAD anyhow, why should the map WAD be read-only? Doesn't make sense to me.

So whenever I ZIP up a change and keep GZDB open, 7zip chokes because GZDB has a lock on it.

As I said, it only happened after this new script editor thing was introduced.

Which is weird, as /maps/ isn't even showing up when I use GZDB.

I want it removed. I am not opposed to DEH or DDF/EDF support however, be it through an extension/plugin, or native support.

So I cast my vote for 'ok'.

Also thank you ZZYZX for continuing this fine project. I hope when I get back from vacation I can use it and give you feedback. I want this to be the best damn map editor it can be :D
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

SanyaWaffles wrote:Since the inclusion of the tncluded editor functionality, GZDB has been locking the map WADs, causing this to break., It only did that after MaxED introduced the scripting additions. I mean, the map is loaded into a temporary WAD anyhow, why should the map WAD be read-only? Doesn't make sense to me.
Actually I'm trying to fix this currently. For example I made the script editor reload resources as readwrite only before writing the changed file, then reload them back as readonly (unlocked).
Not sure if it works currently ATM.
If I make GZDB properly unlock stuff (and still save files), I might keep the script editor in, as there are apparently a lot of people using it (I honestly expected a number around 2).

Currently with file locking it looks like this:
First time map loads, it locks everything.
Then when you edit your map and save, it unlocks resources and you can edit them again.
Afterwards, I think, it should work properly too. Files should only be locked when GZDB reads and writes them.

With PK3 there's one slight problem though: normally PK3 readers dynamically read stuff back from the disk, so when the archive changes, you get very weird results.
Try running GZDoom and changing the used PK3 on-disk, and see what happens.
Quitting to console or completely broken graphics (and possible memory corruption) are the best things you can get out of it :)

Since GZDB only reads archives during resource reload stage, I'll try to limit locking to that part somehow.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Could someone shed some light on just what the fuck is going on with this map? When I go into Make Sectors mode, it thinks the D letter is a part of the rest of the outside sector, and drawing a single line anywhere on the outside area basically blows up the map and the D ends up with about 8 unclosed sectors. What is causing this? :evil:
map00_titlemap_udmf.zip
(30.52 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

This is because you have a line that connects D to an outside linedef. Deleting that line fixes it.
I'm going to look into the sector line loop splitting logic and try to understand why it happens later though. It's part of https://github.com/jewalky/GZDoom-Build ... x/issues/7.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

ZZYZX wrote:This is because you have a line that connects D to an outside linedef. Deleting that line fixes it.
Yea I ended up getting rid of it myself as well as the very outer sector around the edge and cleaned that part up. All is good now but it freaked me the hell out when suddenly the D looked like someone blew up the map. :lol:

I guess the editor can't tell that line was just a line and was expecting another closing line somewhere (thought it was an unclosed sector).

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”