Lithium 1.7.0 Beta (Apr. 17, 2022)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cryomundus

Re: Lithium [1.0 Release]

Post by Cryomundus »

Why not have a downgrade option that sets it so all weapons use ammo, including the low tier ones?

Also, I knew about the "hold button to load grenades", it's just that trying to quickly fire just one has some weird behaviour. The first shot should always be deadcenter, yet if you tap-fire, it'll fire once left, if you tap again it'll fire once right, and then if you tap once more it fires center. It also likes to sometimes just load 3-4 rockets and fire those even if I just quickly tap once. It's really finicky.

Actually, it'd be really nice to have a button to quickly switch upgrades on and off, cuz having to do that via the menu is a bit clunky.

Oh, and about that laser rifle upgrade, if I need to bother with being ammo efficient, then I'd just use the shotgun/assualt rifle, since, ya know, they don't use ammo. And the gauss shotty is already perfectly accurate AND it has a scope, so I don't ever need to bother with the laser rifle's upgrade, as it's rendered moot by the gauss shotgun being a scoped, infinite ammo weapon. The shotgun is also like the most common weapon in the entire game, so I'll pretty much always have it looooong before I can get my hands on a laser rifle. Also, it's upgrade is super cheap, I was playing doom2 with this and had the guass shotty by map03.

Soooo yeah, turns out that laser rifle upgrade ain't much of an upgrade.

That's also the problem of having infinite ammo weapons, any attempt to have something be ammo-efficient is immediately nullified by the simple fact that you can just switch to the infinite ammo weapon till you need the laser rifle/grenade launcher/Cannon again. Hell, the gauss shotty is good enough to take out anything that's an arachnotron or below, so I'd only ever be using the other weapons on bosses, barons, archviles, or hordes. Everything else you can just use the infinite ammo weapons on. After all, why waste ammo when you've got an infinite ammo weapon?
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

Yeah, as I posted that I remembered how weirdly I wrote the launcher upgrade. I've amended this by making the alt-fire the regular rocket launcher, and the primary fire load more shells. (Changing modes still works the same.)

The point of the weapons having infinite ammo is so you can always use them against lower tier enemies. The power weapons are there for bosses and huge amounts of enemies.

As for the laser rifle, the problem is that the balance is whack. I think I've fixed this in the next release, and hope to resolve the gauss shotgun being the most OP thing in existence.
Also, the laser rifle not only takes less ammo, but also pierces enemies and does more damage. I'd definitely call that an upgrade, but it is too expensive right now.
Fallingferret

Post by Fallingferret »

I'm more of the battle raifu person, but I think you've done good with bringing the gauss upgrade down a peg. It seems more in line with being a lower tier weapon upgrade to me at least. No longer am I become deth, destroyer of all challenge.

The rifle's scope seems like it drew the short stick, though. The shotgun has a less awkward view, and has the added effect of either pellets+gauss or just high damage single target autogauss. Seems like the grenade launcher would have been the upgrade, instead of becoming a 3-in-1. Unless I'm just missing something?

E: The new hellknight attack ends up causing them to self destruct after a couple shots. I don't know if you already know.
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

The rifle's scope seems like it drew the short stick, though. The shotgun has a less awkward view, and has the added effect of either pellets+gauss or just high damage single target autogauss. Seems like the grenade launcher would have been the upgrade, instead of becoming a 3-in-1. Unless I'm just missing something?
I do plan to make the undermount a (rather cheap) upgrade. I can't do anything about the scope other than make it optional (via cvar, disabled by default) because I've limited myself to only using primary and alt fire (no zoom key).
E: The new hellknight attack ends up causing them to self destruct after a couple shots. I don't know if you already know.
Ahahhaha, what? That's a big oops, I'll go see if I can fix that.
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

Here's a bug: If a non-homing revenant fireball triggers adrenaline injection, it turns into homing one.
Marrub

Re: Lithium [1.1 Update/Jan. 19]

Post by Marrub »

Version 1.1 (Lithium Chloride) has been released.
This version brings a lot of additions, including new upgrades and lots of improvements.

Changes:
Spoiler:
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

What version of GZDoom does this run on? I'm getting a ton of divide by zero errors on stable and a not so recent git version.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Someone64 wrote:What version of GZDoom does this run on? I'm getting a ton of divide by zero errors on stable and a not so recent git version.
It says right in the main post. GZDoom 2.1.1
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Herp, I got it to run before but forgot and thought maybe something changed in the update.

EDIT: Actually it seems I was getting the errors not because I was using the wrong version but because I was running it with footsteps.pk3.
Deii

Post by Deii »

Yeah, I like this update quite a bit - things are more or less about as great as they come but the only thing I think all it's missing now is...well, a spammy gun. The assault rifle is pretty good in this regard but you know how reloading is soooo I'm kinda eager to see that supershotgun replacement in all its glory.

I also finally got Torgue mode and literally jumped out of my seat since I activated Steele mode right after and then I realized I had fucked up when I hit a wall for fun.
johnlp

Post by johnlp »

Very strange Mod. Definatly worth trying.
Marrub

Re: Lithium [1.2 Update/Feb. 1]

Post by Marrub »

Version 1.2 (Lithium Carbonate) has been released. Download
I've balanced out a lot of issues, added new weapons and much more. Lithium now also somewhat supports Heretic!

Changes:
Spoiler:
durbdoogle

Post by durbdoogle »

Just wanted to say thanks for making this mod! There are plenty of great Doom mods but less that focus on RPG-lite gameplay.
Deii

Post by Deii »

This just gets better and better, doesn't it? Had a blast using the new sniper rifle in its complete opposite role and suddenly, the idea of an Obrez style "upgrade" that turns it into a really innacurate but rapid fire shorty rifle is more than amusing.

The other new guns are also quite fun to use, but the laser shotgun feels a bit weak compared to the regular one (I assume that's intentional though, to make up for it piercing enemies) and a carbine kit upgrade for the revolver which makes it essentially a tiny precision rifle is just about the only suggestion I could come up with.

There are some other minor things I noticed (the pistol's entry still says it has a seven round magazine, for example) but since they're mostly semantic I'd rather not dwell in them - also, I noticed that if you die and resurrect, the HUD's gone for the rest of the level. Also sometimes, when loading a save, some items/upgrades you bought before saving may not count like they actually were bought earlier. I.e. if I save right after buying the vital scanner and load that save, the vital scanner will still be usable but in the shop I can buy it again. It doesn't seem to happen all the time.

Also, did you ever consider some sort of chainsaw replacement? I think something silly like an explosive sledgehammer would fit the current lineup quite well!
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

durbdoogle wrote:Just wanted to say thanks for making this mod! There are plenty of great Doom mods but less that focus on RPG-lite gameplay.
Thank you!
Deii wrote:This just gets better and better, doesn't it? Had a blast using the new sniper rifle in its complete opposite role and suddenly, the idea of an Obrez style "upgrade" that turns it into a really innacurate but rapid fire shorty rifle is more than amusing.

The other new guns are also quite fun to use, but the laser shotgun feels a bit weak compared to the regular one (I assume that's intentional though, to make up for it piercing enemies) and a carbine kit upgrade for the revolver which makes it essentially a tiny precision rifle is just about the only suggestion I could come up with.
I originally didn't want to add upgrades to the shop weapons, but these are really tempting and I might just add them. :P
There are some other minor things I noticed (the pistol's entry still says it has a seven round magazine, for example) but since they're mostly semantic I'd rather not dwell in them -
fug
Fixed that. I'll be doing a once-over on the info pages because there are some I omitted out of laziness.
also, I noticed that if you die and resurrect, the HUD's gone for the rest of the level.
The resurrect cheat is not possible to detect without also breaking multiplayer because it doesn't trigger respawn scripts.
Unfortunately, I can't do anything about that except suggest you use a save or changemap to the same map (as starting a new level resets the player and sets you as not being dead.)
Also sometimes, when loading a save, some items/upgrades you bought before saving may not count like they actually were bought earlier. I.e. if I save right after buying the vital scanner and load that save, the vital scanner will still be usable but in the shop I can buy it again. It doesn't seem to happen all the time.
w-what
that, uh
how
If you're using a more recent build of GZDoom than 2.1 (or a more recent ZDoom than 2.8.1) you may want to report that as a bug with the new save system.
Also, did you ever consider some sort of chainsaw replacement? I think something silly like an explosive sledgehammer would fit the current lineup quite well!
Yeah, I have a few ideas. One is a mace like Paraias has in Hexen.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”