GZDoom discussion (Version 2.3.1 released 2016/jan/7)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: GZDoom discussion (Version 2.3.1 released 2016/jan/7)

Post by drfrag »

I mostly used the same file names of BD. For instance barons shouldn't jump since i commented out the ThrustThingZ lines, but other files are actually parsed. I haven't tried 2.3.0 but gzdoom-g2.3pre-888-g56f6772 worked fine.

This is a patch to fix bugs in BD and there are no errors nor warnings left in the console.
There are other probably unrelated problems, for instance you cannot kill a cyberdemon with 'kill cyberdemon' and monsters no longer drop grenades.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

drfrag wrote:I mostly used the same file names of BD. For instance barons shouldn't jump since i commented out the ThrustThingZ lines, but other files are actually parsed. I haven't tried 2.3.0 but gzdoom-g2.3pre-888-g56f6772 worked fine.

This is a patch to fix bugs in BD and there are no errors nor warnings left in the console.
There are other probably unrelated problems, for instance you cannot kill a cyberdemon with 'kill cyberdemon' and monsters no longer drop grenades.
Works for me, tried in both 2.3.2 and g2.4pre-127-g386c00f. I even checked in debugger and BARON.txt is loaded from brutalv20c_UP.pk3 indeed.
Also, kill cyberdemon works by the way. I checked with summon CCMD and on MAP08 from Doom II.
Stormwalker

Post by Stormwalker »

_mental_ wrote:From iwadinfo.txt:

Code: Select all

IWad
{
	Name = "Strife: Quest for the Sigil"
	// ...
	Load = "voices.wad"
}
So yes, it loads voices.wad automatically but not VOICES.WAD file.
Do not forget about case sensitive file system. It's a good idea there to have all IWADs with names in lower case.
This is very helpful, I had no idea that case sensitivity was so important! Thank you much!
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

_mental_ wrote:Works for me, tried in both 2.3.2 and g2.4pre-127-g386c00f. I even checked in debugger and BARON.txt is loaded from brutalv20c_UP.pk3 indeed.
Also, kill cyberdemon works by the way. I checked with summon CCMD and on MAP08 from Doom II.
I deleted my old gzdoom.ini and everything it's working fine now, i installed it over a previous version, but this is strange. By the way i get no textures until i change video mode from the default on my ati card.
Edit: the problem is back.
Last edited by drfrag on Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

After exiting to save my settings and loading the engine again the problem is back, seems like there's some corruption loading the ini settings. I can't kill any monster not just the cyberdemon, in fact i didn't make any changes to the cyberdemon, only kill monsters work. I don't know what's happening here, but there's some ini setting involved.
Edit: mystery is solved.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED:

I was loading an old savegame after deleting the old ini, somehow the new ini got corrupted after loading that savegame. The wad is neis.wad and it has DEHACKED (only for map names), MAPINFO, EMAPINFO and GAMEINFO lumps. The problem appeared even without loading neis.wad. I don't know how the problem originated, the savegame was from 2.3.2 as well, but i suspect the ini got corrupted after changing from an old version to 2.3.2. So it's not that much of a problem but definitely something strange is going on in there.

But now i don't get any textures on my card with texture filtering enabled, it's a radeon x1250 with opengl 2.1 support. Same happens on 2.3 SVN.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I have gotten another report for those old ATI cards reporting a similar issue. Seems to be a driver bug which is par for course for ATIs of that vintage. And without anything to test I have no idea what these cards do not like.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Does bloom work on ATI cards? I can't seem to notice any difference between the option being on or off. I am on version 2.2.0 and nothing seems to happen.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Nevander wrote:Does bloom work on ATI cards? I can't seem to notice any difference between the option being on or off. I am on version 2.2.0 and nothing seems to happen.
The ten billion dollar question:

Have you updated your graphics drivers to the latest version?
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Just a quick message to mention that I highly approve of all the latest additions made to GZD. With FXAA, SSAO and bloom enabled, this is finally a full alternative to Doomsday regarding visual enhancements. Doom can also look pretty with GZDoom now. Thanks a lot to Graf Zahl and anybody who contributed to coding for making this possible!
Nash

Post by Nash »

NightFright wrote:this is finally a full alternative to Doomsday regarding visual enhancements.
Not yet, GZDoom is still missing perpixel-lit models and lens flares... ;)

But yeah, agreed - the framebuffer post processing stuff makes a HUGE difference in visual quality. SSAO is pretty much COMPULSORY for me now, I'll never turn it off. ;D Thank you, dpJudas and Graf Zahl!
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

While we are at it:
Can anybody tell me what gl_ssao_portals is doing if you change its default value from 0 to anything else? I wasn't able to spot any difference until now.
Nash

Post by Nash »

NightFright wrote:While we are at it:
Can anybody tell me what gl_ssao_portals is doing if you change its default value from 0 to anything else? I wasn't able to spot any difference until now.
Controls how many portals will have SSAO drawn into them. Also note that mirrors and skyboxes are considered portals so this will affect whether SSAO is drawn in them, and at how many levels deep. Higher settings will be slower when portals are in view.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Nash wrote:Have you updated your graphics drivers to the latest version?
Not since the new DOOM came out, I had to in order to get the game to even launch. Typically I never update my drivers unless something I really want to play requires the latest update. I'm assuming the bloom requires something out of a newer ATI driver? Kind of a shame since I could get bloom all day long before using QEffects and on a super old driver.
Nash wrote:Not yet, GZDoom is still missing perpixel-lit models and lens flares... ;)
And a full colored lighting system ala Doom 64. That guy did it but nobody knows how and I get the feeling he's not going to release his source code changes.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Nevander wrote:Does bloom work on ATI cards? .
Depends on the card. It also depends onthe display device and your eyes if you see it. Bloom can be very subtle and I have seen monitors with 'built in' Bloom (i.e. shitty panels.)

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”