[EDGE] CeeJay's Star Wars/Dark Forces mod (RELEASE)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
CeeJay

[EDGE] CeeJay's Star Wars/Dark Forces mod (RELEASE)

Post by CeeJay »

A Star Wars/Dark Forces themed gameplay mod for EDGE. Weapons, items, enemies and new gameplay mechanics.

VIDEOS
Spoiler:
DOWNLOADS:
CeeJay's Star Wars/Dark Forces gameplay mod version 0.0.1
https://www.mediafire.com/file/xchby2ty ... m.wad/file
Requires EDGE 1.35 or later.

Optional texture pack
https://www.mediafire.com/file/z3y1hkjk ... s.wad/file
Replaces DOOM & DOOM 2 textures with more Star Wars-eque ones, completely optional. Credits included inside the WAD.

Enemy replacement customisation patch
https://www.mediafire.com/file/mlp88aj2 ... p.wad/file
If you don't like the enemy replacements, use this to customise which enemy replaces which or none at all. Instructions included inside the WAD and it must be loaded after DFDOOM.WAD.

CREDITS
Spoiler:
Last edited by CeeJay on Tue May 04, 2021 2:09 am, edited 25 times in total.
cortlong50

Re: Dark Forces/Star Wars gameplay mod

Post by cortlong50 »

Aaaaand I'm gonna go play this with back to Saturn
CeeJay

Re: Dark Forces/Star Wars gameplay mod (resurrected)

Post by CeeJay »

So I dug this little turkey up and polished it a little. Enjoy
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

Permission to use some of the graphic resources here? i lost my own DF rips and this has what i need.

Also just made it to the crusher using this mod and i gotta say it's pretty fun and well made!.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Yes, but they are in the Doom palette with the exception of the Gamorrean, which I made into PNG since Dark Forces has a different range of green colors. Credits to LucasArts.

I am also fully aware that the Light saber is not widescreen-friendly. My attempts at fixing that have been futile.
CeeJay

Re: [3DGE] Dark Forces/Star Wars mod

Post by CeeJay »

Updated, as it tends to get sporadically on and off.
ReX

Post by ReX »

Is this really only a 143 Kb download? Also, I tried to open it in a resource editor, and I got the dreaded "Not a valid Doom wad file!"
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

ReX wrote:Is this really only a 143 Kb download? Also, I tried to open it in a resource editor, and I got the dreaded "Not a valid Doom wad file!"
Mediafire reports it's just under 6 MB - perhaps your download "finished" too early?
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

No idea what's going on but I've re-uploaded it as a ZIP archive.
ReX

Post by ReX »

wildweasel wrote:Mediafire reports it's just under 6 MB - perhaps your download "finished" too early?
CeeJay wrote:No idea what's going on but I've re-uploaded it as a ZIP archive.
Yes, I had figured the download got truncated. But each time I tried, it would stop at exactly 143 Kb. The inability of a resource editor to open the file suggested to me that the download was incomplete.

The curious thing is that, even with the zip, the download stops at 143 kB.

[EDIT: I discovered what I was doing wrong. I was downloading directly from the link in your post above. The download was saving with a .wad (and, subsequently, as a .zip) extension, but I imagine it was actually saving the html/xml file. Hence the identical file size of 143 Kb with each of my 4 download attempts. I did things the "proper" way, and now have the zip. Many thanks.]
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

I was experiencing problems myself when uploading the WAD a second time, it would go to 100% and then just start over again so I tried re-packaging it and re-upload as a ZIP and apparently that worked. Never had any problems with mediafire before.
ReX

Post by ReX »

But more on topic, I've had a chance to look in the zip, and the amount of (excellent) work you've put in is astounding.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with making EDGE mods, but I'm going to study what you've done and see how it can translate to GZDooM.

Many thanks.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Well, documentation on 3DGE is a little bare but you can check out the forums: http://www.tdgmods.net/smf/viewforum.php?f=3 and visit the 3DGE wiki: http://3dfxdev.net/edgewiki/index.php/Main_Page.
enderandrew

Post by enderandrew »

Stupid quesiton, but doesn't Dark Forces rely on jumping, swimming, mouse-movement, room-over-room, etc?

Some of these are capable in Doom source ports, but I thought room-over-room wasn't possible in Doom maps at all.

Wouldn't it make more sense to do this in a Quake engine? And wasn't there a release at one of of the first 6 levels of Dark Forces remade for Q3? FTE runs Q1 through Q3 maps.
Trance

Post by Trance »

enderandrew wrote:Stupid quesiton, but doesn't Dark Forces rely on jumping, swimming, mouse-movement, room-over-room, etc?
Jumping and crouching were both abilities the player could make use of in Dark Forces, but modern source ports don't make that a problem anymore.

Dark Forces did have something Doom's engine couldn't do: support 3D models. Moreover, there were walkable surfaces in 3D space which made use of these 3D models. Any room-over-room capacity in Dark Forces was faked with walkable 3D objects (e.g., the small bridge over the doorway in the building near the end of Mission 2). That might be tricky to replicate.

Mouse movement wasn't necessary in missions; I played Dark Forces' missions exclusively with the keyboard on our DOS machine in the '90s. The mouse might be required for navigating the between-mission briefings, but even then I think there might've been a way to do that with the keyboard. Using ACS, people have made mouse-friendly navigable menu systems very similar to it.

As far as I can remember, any "swimming" sections in Dark Forces didn't involve actual underwater stuff. It was just surface-swimming. Easy-peasy in modern Doom.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”