ZDoom is Dead. Long live ZDoom.

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

FennelFetish

Re: ZDoom is Dead (but the site isn't)

Post by FennelFetish »

I think all modern source ports have fulfilled the dream of Carmack, with some of them (like 3DGE and Zdoom based engines) who expanded his "dream" breaking some limits, which, IMHO, is pretty impressive.

Source: https://github.com/id-Software/DOOM

I am not sure if he wanted playerbase on zandronum where 99% players are playing MM8BDM and have probably no idea doom exist... lmao
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

Well, that's the end of an era I guess.

I saw the writing on the wall for a while now, so while I'm not particularly surprised about the cancellation, I also didn't expect it to be so blunt. It's quite the accomplishment that ZDoom went on for as long as it did, just a smidgen younger than myself even.

Here's to tomorrow then.
zuzma

Post by zuzma »

Thanks for all the work you did on zdoom Randi and answering most of those silly private messages I sent you over the years. I will continue to be an xtreme lurker here :3
Eevee

Post by Eevee »

Cheers, and good luck with whatever you do next :)
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Lud wrote:Nah. They are perfectly capable of running on their own without ZDoom. In fact, right now, GZDoom has more features and improvements than ZDoom.
Quite. Even as we speak, Graf is exposing sectors and lines to zscript.
Fishytza
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Fishytza »

Well, it had to happen eventually.

There's not much I can say here. (I'm not good with speeches of gratitude. Or any speeches for that matter.)

Randi, thanks for all your efforts and good luck in any future endeavors. You will not be forgotten.
(Well, I hope it'll be a long time before some newbie starts asking "Who the fuck is Randi?".)
Xeriphas1994

Post by Xeriphas1994 »

An outsider here, but I saw this and knew it was an important day.
Nash wrote:ZDoom has been ULTRA important to me . . . I dare say that ZDoom is directly responsible for transitioning me into game coding world (I'm a musician and producer; I couldn't code shit before ZDoom!).

Of course, it's also a blast to play all these cool projects that ZDoom has allowed - ZDoom's modding architecture and file structure, DECORATE, etc is simply unmatched in ANY hobbyist (or even commercial) game engine, period . . .

I can't say this enough - whether you realize it or not - through ZDoom, you've enriched the lives of thousands (hundreds of thousands?) around the world... I hope you know that.
QFT. How many other mappers, coders, composers, artists have been influenced as well? How many DMers have made lifelong friends with ZDoom and its offspring? And oh yeah, Randi and the other developers gave that to us FOR FREE (sometimes for demands and insults actually, especially after a release).

Anyway, I join others wishing Randi well in future projects. To the pessimists above, Doom modding is pretty silly in a way, but also meaningful in a way, which is true of most things people stick with for decades. So I'm confident that the community continues.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

FennelFetish wrote:
I think all modern source ports have fulfilled the dream of Carmack, with some of them (like 3DGE and Zdoom based engines) who expanded his "dream" breaking some limits, which, IMHO, is pretty impressive.

Source: https://github.com/id-Software/DOOM

I am not sure if he wanted playerbase on zandronum where 99% players are playing MM8BDM and have probably no idea doom exist... lmao
176 of 200 players are playing doom2.wad, so your math is wrong (and what's the problem of playing another iwad? we should not be forced to only play a specific iwad)

Also, Eruanna now has an evil nick D: (by evil I mean red).
And, why don't u guys continue the zdoom development? like If I remember randi didn't touched most of the new updates, Qzdoom being good or bad, it's not as compatible as zdoom for now (by that I mean being able to run it in Linux and mac and support to older hardware).

Unless Randi doesn't want others to continue the zdoom development without her (In that case, fork it and call it zdronum :p)
ItsNatureToDie

Post by ItsNatureToDie »

DOOM SHALL NEVER DIE, only the enthusiasm of source-port developers of almost two decades.:(

Thank you for everything you have done and best of luck with whatever lies ahead for you.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

ibm5155 wrote: And, why don't u guys continue the zdoom development? like If I remember randi didn't touched most of the new updates, Qzdoom being good or bad, it's not as compatible as zdoom for now (by that I mean being able to run it in Linux and mac and support to older hardware).

Unless Randi doesn't want others to continue the zdoom development without her (In that case, fork it and call it zdronum :p)
We don't really know what Randi's wishes are, but out of respect for her we are not continuing the ZDoom name without her permission and blessing. She appeared more concerned with the continuance of the forums and the wiki than the ZDoom name.
Hipnotic Rogue

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

It's always sad when something that's been a part of your life for nearly 2 decades suddenly comes to an end. I'm sad.

I really, really hope that G and Q can fill the Doom collective conscious in the way that Z has for so many for so long.

I remember the end of Skulltag and I remember it causing splits and arguments. Granted, the end of Skulltag came under a cloud but I really hope the same divide doesn't raise its head here.

I, personally, think that this forum, wiki and main page should continue under the ZDoom banner but have the 'children' (G and Q) inherit the house, so to speak.

I do have something I'd like to suggest strongly though. That would be a final official release of ZDoom. The last dev build was just a few days ago. I would love to see the whole thing wrapped up and given a proper final wave goodbye as ZDoom 3.0.

It would be a nice way to let everyone know that it went out under strong and active development. It would also be a nice way wrap up the whole 'vanilla' ZDoom era before QZDoom takes over the software rendering reigns.

Anyway, I realise that's up to those in charge. I just think it would be a healthy and positive celebration. :)
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

The reason why ZDoom 3.0 can't come out is because the 3.0 means some radical changes have been done. Like complete code refactoring. There are too many under-the-hood issues for a stable release.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Hipnotic Rogue wrote: I remember the end of Skulltag and I remember it causing splits and arguments.
The main reason for that was that the former project leader acted like a small child whose toy was taken away so some more organized people were forced to do something.
This time the former project leader has stepped down and handed over the project to other people.

That's a lot different.
Firebrand
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Firebrand »

Well, I had to make a comment about these news, I feel a bit sad because ZDoom was such a powerful source port and it really shows what Doom is for modern players :), I've been on and off the community for a while now, I just want to say, thank you Randi for your hard work during all these years, it's sad to see you go, but it's awesome to see what ZDoom and it's child ports have reached with the work of all the talented people do, I'm eager to see what other cool things all the developers will come up with ;).

It's been awesome to be part of the Doom community for all these years, thank you Randi and great luck in whatever the future holds for you.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Graf Zahl wrote:The main reason for that was that the former project leader acted like a small child whose toy was taken away so some more organized people were forced to do something.
The way I see it, everything spawned out of miscommunications, lack of communications, and misunderstanding. I've talked things over with Carnevil since everything happened and he and I are now on good terms, and I really prefer to keep it that way. No matter his mistakes or my own, or how liked he was - he is a pillar of the community, and his contributions were just as important, albeit tailored to a much different audience.

Personally, between him and I, we have both moved on from that situation.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”