ZDoom is Dead. Long live ZDoom.

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: ZDoom is Dead (but the site isn't)

Post by Caligari87 »

Just adding my own thanks: ZDoom was my first true introduction to modern Dooming, and this forum I whole-heartedly call my true internet home. Godspeed Randi, thank you for everything and I hope we still see you around.

8-)
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

So far i think ZDoom is the only source port which stood a very long time in active development without having a reformulating point (like Skulltag into Zandronum, PrBoom into PrBoom+), this mostly proves that a great part of the community wanted to see new features being added into the game to make every thing we can see today, ZDoom by far was a deity source port in terms of modding flexibility for Doom and its sibling games.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Here lies ZDoom, dead just as its long wait for DoomScript was seemingly over.

Thanks for having held it aloft all these years, and good luck in your new endeavors.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Take care, Randi. We'll take care of everything for you.
Gutawer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gutawer »

Sad to see ZDoom die, but looking on the bright side, less fragmentation in source ports could be a good thing. Sad to see the end of an era, in a way, though.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Well, with QZDoom and GZDoom the future looks very bright indeed. Thanks Randi for your work, I am sure it will be continued and honored properly.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

AlexMax wrote:What does this mean for the original ZDoom 256-color software renderer? Is it just going to go unmaintained? Is it going to be fixed up with some backported QZDoom improvements? Could it be replaced with a QZDoom renderer that has a 256-color rendering mode?
For now, unmaintained - unfortunately, its code divergence with QZDoom is too big to maintain it by itself at this point. Graf will probably minimally make sure it continues to work in GZDoom - but QZDoom already has a lot of the code refactored at this point and it will be impossible to keep the code bases together right now. As far as myself and dpJudas are concerned, the old renderer is deprecated right now, and was only released in the latest version of QZDoom because it was more tested (and I had enough confidence that it was stable) than what we have now.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

Thanks for everything, randi, good luck on your future endeavors.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Whats going to happen to the bug report section? Is it going to be turned into bug reports for GZDoom/QZDoom?
Good luck with any future projects Randi!
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Sgt. Shivers wrote:Whats going to happen to the bug report section? Is it going to be turned into bug reports for GZDoom/QZDoom?
Good luck with any future projects Randi!
As I understand it, it is transitioning to a new bug ticketing system that applies to both.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Eruanna wrote:For now, unmaintained - unfortunately, its code divergence with QZDoom is too big to maintain it by itself at this point. Graf will probably minimally make sure it continues to work in GZDoom - but QZDoom already has a lot of the code refactored at this point and it will be impossible to keep the code bases together right now. As far as myself and dpJudas are concerned, the old renderer is deprecated right now, and was only released in the latest version of QZDoom because it was more tested (and I had enough confidence that it was stable) than what we have now.
Just to clarify on this, when Eruanna says deprecated, she means the old version before the refactor. QZDoom will, of course, keep on supporting the 8 bit palette ZDoom/Carmack renderer. The work I'm doing on it right now is mainly about lowering the learning curve for new developers and make it easier to maintain.
HavoX
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro 21H1
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by HavoX »

All things have to come to an end eventually... and what an amazing run it has been for ZDoom.

Thank you Marisa, for everything you have contributed to the Doom community all these years!
Mor'Ladim
Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Though I have never interacted with you in any way, I wish to thank you for all of your hard work and dedication to ZDoom. Without it, I would have never sought to mod or do any kind of work for the Doom series. In fact, I believe I would have stopped playing Doom II a few months after purchasing it so long ago (although I was late to the party, I am sure). May your future hold nothing but the best.
Csonicgo

Post by Csonicgo »

what have i done

WHAT HAVE I DONE

I DIDN'T MEAN TO ATTACK THE ZDOOM THIS MUCH

PLEASE GOD, NO
Csonicgo

Post by Csonicgo »

*sobs*

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”