ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
CopperBoltwire

[]The 10x Mod for "Wrath of Cronos"

Post by CopperBoltwire »

Seeing as "Resurrecting" old/dead threads is more then frowned upon on nearly any forum,
I'll simply provide a link to the mods/threads in question at the bottom of this post.

So, Looking for mods i came across the 10x Mod.
Had a look inside the code of it and was left more confused and felt more useless then i initially wanted/thought.
So if, by any chance someone can "Dissect" the "10x Universal" mod and make it compatible with Wrath of Cronos for BOTH Heretic and Hexen and if you like, also Doom (1 & 2).

Simply, the base games are tooooo short to enjoy the power of WoC
And worse is that Heretic is episodic, and thus, in order to progress you HAFT to start a new game for each episode, and this resets your skills/stats...
Which clearly ruins the fun of WoC for Heretic.
Are there perchance a mod that makes all the episodes in Heretic one big Episode instead to make better use of WoC?

Well i hope someone with time on their hands are willing to make Heretic more hectic again.
Vanilla Heretic is rather dull and old these days.
Same goes for Hexen.
Tetsuryu

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by Tetsuryu »

wildweasel wrote:
Tetsuryu wrote:Here's an idea for a Doom mod:

DooMaid - you play as a maid and you go around dusting and straightening paintings...in HELL!

Also you can slap monsters when they get too rowdy, which makes them run away and cry.
So, Viscera Cleanup Detail except before the incident instead of after it? Heh.
Yes! Why are there so many health packs in hell anyway? Someone must've put them there first!
zerthex
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by zerthex »

i would love to see somebody re create rouge shooter in the doom engine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwhHb6KSK60

with randomly generated levels / item placements / enemy placements. complete with graphics and stuff.
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

zerthex wrote:complete with graphics and stuff.
I have no idea why you'd want something to specifically look like that. That just looks absolutely awful and the gun graphic doesn't even look like it's aiming at the center of the screen.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

regardless of my own opinion of the merits of that game: why not just play it instead? it looks pretty new and not like you gotta run it on DosBox or it's super hard to find a copy of it or anything.

EDIT: then again, the steam page does say it's windows-only...
enderandrew

Post by enderandrew »

Arctangent wrote:
zerthex wrote:complete with graphics and stuff.
I have no idea why you'd want something to specifically look like that. That just looks absolutely awful and the gun graphic doesn't even look like it's aiming at the center of the screen.
I don't think the request was for Doom to copy the visuals of Rogue Shooter, but to copy the feature of rougelike gameplay where there is permadeath, procedural generation, etc.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

[some randomizer] + Oblige should achieve that, minus enforced permadeath. I've been playing HD + Oblige and it's definitely into roguelike territory. DRLA + DRPG + Oblige would work pretty well also, IMO.

I guess alternatively if you wanted everything in-engine, you could create a map with a ton of room templates and some kind of transition mechanism (portals, fade-outs, etc), then randomize the monsters + items in each room whenever the player gets to it.

8-)
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I just learned how to run Oblige by command line, which is really handy for making a simple, transparent batch file to get you started right away.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

You're probably aware, but it's actually improved since that post; you can load config files now (including module controls).

8-)
Deviluke Roy

Post by Deviluke Roy »

I have an idea;

Zombies.

Well, actually, a bunch of Shakespeare protagonists are taken by a shitty writer into space with zombies. And they hated every minute of it.

(It was funnier in my head.)

Or maybe Beck. That guy. The MegaMan clone. I recently asked a YouTube commenter (on this video) if Beck should be in Another game or not, and I liked his answer.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Inspired ripped off by the latest Metal Gears (Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain):

1 (one) single VERY large, open-world-ish map (utilize all 65k of the playable area because ZDoom already allows that) that gets re-used again and again depending on the missions the player chooses to accept. The map will most probably have to not be part of a hub cluster because we intentionally want the map to reset and be configured and populated differently every time the map is entered for missions.
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

I'm not sure if I'll get around to making it so I'll post it here as an idea.

An episode that reimagines the Doom storyline where the monsters never invaded from Hell, but instead come from some fancy other dimension. UAC is really just a corrupt company wanting some use from said dimension and the player is sent by some other company/government whathaveyou to figure out what's going on. Part of the episode takes place in the facility while the majority of it takes place in this new fancy dimension. It would kind of resemble that of the Quake's dimension place a wee bit but with some original flavor (perhaps in a brown, purple, and sometimes orange and red palette? no green!).

Apart from the plot gameplay features would include a weird hybrid of Quake and Doom 4 and perhaps Unreal, featuring intimate monster battles with high time to kill and some parkour required to deal with threats. One of the things I liked about Doom 4 was that to "get gud" was to pretend you were playing an arena game with the monsters. Heavy platforming would also be a feature with the player being able to do high jumps, wall dodges, climbing, etc. I'd love to see that in a Zdoom mod.

tl;dr perhaps Doom designed closer to Quake/Unreal.
XASSASSINX

Post by XASSASSINX »

I have a cool idea. I tried to progam it, But i couldn't. It's a mod called "True hell", Every difficulty change the monsters, So the easiest ones change the classic doom into a yellow doom, Which is slighty faster and stronger, For example. (Note: You don't have to use sprites, Translations is good enough). Every difficulty would also add a little random spawner, So the easiest one would make that the classic doom imp could appear as a yellow imp, blue one, And let's say... A purple quick one.
Ardeshir

Post by Ardeshir »

Has anyone ever tried to rip Realms of the Haunting asset to make a Doom Wad ? I think it could be used to a very atmospheric Zdoom level, maybe with a survival gameplay (Few ammo and most of it hidden and few monsters but they are all dangerous) and some hexen-like puzzles.
kodi

Post by kodi »

Ardeshir wrote:Has anyone ever tried to rip Realms of the Haunting asset to make a Doom Wad ? I think it could be used to a very atmospheric Zdoom level, maybe with a survival gameplay (Few ammo and most of it hidden and few monsters but they are all dangerous) and some hexen-like puzzles.
I think there's a complete set of them in the resources forum. Anyway, you can rip the level textures on your own by simply dragging ROTH's data files into XWE and exporting them from there. Monster or weapon sprites don't really work with that method IIRC.

Also, there are some pretty hilarious file names in there :geek:

Return to “General”