Countryball Combat [UNDER DEV]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Skwirl

Countryball Combat [UNDER DEV]

Post by Skwirl »

Ladies and gentlemen of the ZDoom community, I would like to take this opportunity to present what has been over a year long in both learning the art of modding on the ZDoom platform, and seeing it unfold into a potential TC.

I present to you: COUNTRYBALL COMBAT
Title Card
Title Card
Inspired by the user-gen webcomics rife with geopolitical humor, I felt this was a fun and gentle way to get me started in modding, and despite my roadbumps here and there, I couldn't be happier with what I've seen unfold. Thanks to a lot of your help, I was able to get a variety of fun gimmicks working, and I hope to make something of this for everyone to enjoy.

I asked on the IRC if I could make this post, and with the graces of the mods, here it is. I'm hoping to get a number of things done by doing this; particularly because I'm still pretty rusty with modding I could use some housekeeping guidance, and for those WTF moments in the middle of all my programming work, I can point people to the Github link to show whatever files I've since prepped.

PLATFORM
I am currently building this on GLOOME (for legal reasons), and will continue to. I know it's a discontinued sourceport now, but I have gotten so deep into developing on it, that I had some compatibility errors going into the latest GZDoom, so I decided to stick with what already works now. I also know there's GZDoom-GPL, but I really want to focus on what I have going now. I'm also still unclear if the proprietary removal was done yet, so until that's confirmed I'm staying here where I know no updates will be necessary, at least yet... Besides, I would like to see this work pay off one day, so I would appreciate keeping the commercial-friendly aspect.

I have successfully migrated the mod over to GZDoom 3.1, now that it has been made to GPL compliance. :) (Though I still need to upload it to Github soon...)

The IWAD I am using is Freedoom's "freedm.wad". I wanted to use a base wad where there are no monsters available, as well as readily-usable multiplayer maps I can play with later on.

The entire CC project is PK3 format folder. One day, I'd like to make it a standalone wad, but until that time comes, I'd rather the ease-of-use with PK3.

DEVELOPMENT STATUS
In progress, as of June 2017. Took a break earlier because IRL.

You can download it at the Github repository here: https://github.com/Tricorne-Games/Countryball-Combat

Download the zip at the green button, unzip it, click the GLOOME.exe, and play around with it. I recommend using IDCLEV00 to go to my sandbox level I'm using to test features like the electric floors and whatnot. And use IDKFA to try out whatever weapons I've so far made available.

Note that the mod _is_ the CNBLCMBT directory. I specifically changed the .ini file to read the entire directory so you can play around with it. It also makes for having less branches for each time I update this demo.

HELP WANTED

I have been on and off this project for a year and a half. A lot of the functionality in it now stems from the help you guys gave me, both here on the forum and on IRC.

Coding help would be absolutely rad. Both DECORATE and ACS. I've done a good number of the things myself, such as the ccWeapon class that allows all weapons to have things like Zoom, Alternate modes, and Reloading, but a lot of others I got help with, and I am so grateful for it. And with the amount of complexity put in to get the features available, I will need the help way more than ever. It's like I "understand" how things are done, but there's always one more issue slowing me down, which is why I'm kind of focused on the art right now.

I'm not up to it yet, but eventually I'm going to want help with sound effects and music. I am still figuring out how to use LMMS, and I'm fair with Audacity, but I'm not musically inclined. I'm also not entirely interested in MIDI unless you can make something sound superior. Thus, I would prefer all music and sound to be in .ogg format.

The #1 rule is to remember the entire project should be as libre as possible. I don't want any "protected" content, and anything you do make towards contributing will be put under the libre license scheme.

As I intend, I will credit you. I seriously value the help.

But as of right now, I'm focused on the "infrastructure" of the game, to get all the bells and whistles I want working before I carry on to things like a full set of levels.

PS: It's obviously not required, but I highly HIGHLY recommend you acquaint yourself with the comics if you want to contribute. There's a kind of "finesse" to them that really sets them apart from shitposts or rageface comics, and knowing that would add greatly to the spirit of this project.

CURRENT FEATURES
  • Every resource in the PK3, from scripts to sounds to graphics, is made to be as Libre as possible by using the MIT license, so you can simply peel out what you want to use for your modding work and go with it.
  • Migrated from GLOOME to GZDoom 3.1, so now the mod can be updated along with GZDoom's own updates.
  • Hazardous sectors, such as Electric Floors, Gaseous Areas, and even Ice-Cold water that damages you the longer you stay in it.
  • Reloading mechanism, reminiscent of Goldeneye (go down, go up). The ammo you collect gets fed into a "current" reserve until you hit a max. Also forces you to reload manually as if it were the real weapon; for example, the missile launcher fires a rocket, you manually reload to set up another one rather than chain through it like in Vanilla Doom.
  • Player slows down when carrying a heavy weapon, or mucking through shallow waters, or suffers enough damage.
  • Hi-Res graphics on a number of things, including menu selector, the base player skin, and a sample water texture (with more to come as I learn more modding technique).
  • Simple tracer shots instead of hitscan shots; to add that frightening effect of a bullet coming at you instead of an instantaneous click-and-hit.
  • Some weapons feature the ammo casings flying out.
  • Multiple Ammo modes (ie: the shotguns can use buckshot, slug, or incendiary rounds).
  • Multiple Weapon modes (ie: You can operate the pistol loud or silenced).
  • Functional Weapon Zooms.
  • A clean and crisp-looking HUD display, featuring the currently-armed weapon, its ammo reserves, and a color-changing health/armor interpolation.
  • Code as cleanly organized as possible. This is not to say it is perfect, and everyone has their own way of polishing code, but I tried to heavily regiment how each file laid its code out so it's uniform and documented between any file.
  • LANGUAGE lump add-on featuring the famous "Countryball Engrish" the non-anglophone countries speak.
  • 5 Difficulties (which I may end up altering later; implemented for the sake of learning), from easiest to hardest: Cannot Into Skill, Of Reasonable, Gib Challenge, O KURWA!, and ANSCHLUSS ZEIT!
  • Smooth weapon-firing animations for such few frames. Includes DryFire, Recoil effects, and automatic/semi firing tweaks.
TO-DO LIST
This list will without a doubt update as the project goes on...
  • A hell of a lot of debugging, including things I haven't even imagined to test yet.
  • Hi-Res graphics on everything else I haven't already done yet.
  • Hi-Res skins for the possible 200+- countries, states, and other organizations for your character choices.
  • A Quicksand sector.
  • A theme and logic plan for monsters, to enjoy single-player mode.
  • A large variety of weapons to come, including shurikens, katanas, miniguns, molotov cocktails, revolvers, flamethrowers, etc.
  • A solid purpose to playing single-player mode and how I will develop enemies based on that.
  • Level Pack system, so the game has a base set of levels, and additional ones can be added on to it. Some levels, on and off the base project, will be made specifically for multi-player fun.
  • A quick but powerful and flexible collection of patches for a variety of environments, including Jungle, Arctic, Desert, Urban, Cavern, etc.
SPECIAL THANKS
I have a lot of people to thank for getting me as far as I have, some whose names I can't even remember anymore and I apologize if I didn't readily list you here (still you know who you are), but here are those of you who have significantly helped in some way so far.
  • Glaice, for getting me into ZDoom modding in the first place, as well as general advisory.
  • BlueShadow, for a lot of the programming help I needed to get things like electric floors and weapon inheritance and such.
  • JDRedAlert, for demonstrating a multi-mode weapon system that now allows me to make weapons do way more than just one task.
  • Nash, for his scripts that allow for things like strafe-tilting and underwater sway.
  • WildWeasel, for his Gunlabs tutorial that allowed me to make reloadable weapons.
  • Gez, for pointing out the trick to circumvent the palette-green limitations to make green colors on flags possible.
  • Vaecrius, for help with the grenade code.
  • AFADoomer, for help with the ladder code.
SCREENSHOTS
This project is still way, way in the middle of development for it to even be considered pre-alpha, or pre-pre-alpha, but for the sake of showing what I do have working so far, here is a screencap.
A demonstration screencap for HUD effects and ammo casings. Resized due to forum limit.
A demonstration screencap for HUD effects and ammo casings. Resized due to forum limit.

FINISHED CHARACTERS
Here is a list of characters that I have finished building, whether or not it's in the above link. I would list which ones are to do, but with the plethora of countries out there (give or take 200+ including some historicals), that list would be pretty long.

In some cases, planned characters with unique features (UK has a tophat and monocle, Serbia has a military beret and a patch eye based on the heraldry on the flag, Kazakhstan is not a ball, Sealand and Vatican are very tiny balls, etc.) will take longer to finish because they won't be on my boilerplate process.
  • Poland (the star of the comics)
  • Not Polan (the correctly-oriented flag version of Poland; called "not polan" by fans when artists draw white-top red-bottom because it's not true to the comic's origins.)
  • Greece
  • Italy
  • France
  • Brazil
  • UK
  • USA
  • Germany
  • Russia
  • Serbia
Last edited by Skwirl on Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:05 am, edited 21 times in total.
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Countryball Combat [UNDER DEV]

Post by Armaetus »

Hello, I can vouch that my friend above can certainly use some help from time to time in the development aspect since I did help him with some things but there are aspects that are out of my skill set.

If one doesn't get the geopolitical humor of the comic, they won't understand some of the wording used by the countryballs.
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

You need to fix the download because for some weird reason it shows me the inside of the pk3
Skwirl

Post by Skwirl »

Redead-ITA wrote:You need to fix the download because for some weird reason it shows me the inside of the pk3
The green button on that page where you can download to desktop or zip, click zip. What that does is give you an immediate zip with all that stuff within the first layer.
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

Skwirl wrote:
Redead-ITA wrote:You need to fix the download because for some weird reason it shows me the inside of the pk3
The green button on that page where you can download to desktop or zip, click zip. What that does is give you an immediate zip with all that stuff within the first layer.
Well it dosent give me the pk3 it gives me WHATS INSIDE OF IT
Skwirl

Post by Skwirl »

Weird, because this was the shortcut I got from doing that. See if this helps: https://github.com/Tricorne-Games/Count ... ve/mod.zip
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

Skwirl wrote:Weird, because this was the shortcut I got from doing that. See if this helps: https://github.com/Tricorne-Games/Count ... ve/mod.zip
nope dosent work
Skwirl

Post by Skwirl »

Redead-ITA wrote:
Skwirl wrote:Weird, because this was the shortcut I got from doing that. See if this helps: https://github.com/Tricorne-Games/Count ... ve/mod.zip
nope dosent work
I see the problem now. I just downloaded the zip, and the first layer has just one folder, which contains the content. lol

Until I get this fixed, you can try the following:

1) Extract that folder.
2) Rezip the contents inside that folder.
3) If you want to, change the extension to .pk3
4) Put that newly-pk3'd folder somewhere and run it.

It is important that all of the content is within the first layer. Unfortunately Github sucks at that so I'll have to reorganize it later.
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

You don't really need the .backup# files because those are just older versions of the map you were constructing.
skyrish10
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7

Post by skyrish10 »

Well, Well, Finally a Polandball doom mod!
rabid marine

Post by rabid marine »

So it's like europa universalis 4 but with actual gameplay and on a world scale.
spoone

Post by spoone »

It keeps saying no player classes defined. Execution could not continue. What do i do?
Skwirl

Post by Skwirl »

spoone wrote:It keeps saying no player classes defined. Execution could not continue. What do i do?
I still have to fix the package. I'll be doing that as soon as I have a few characters and tidied up the weapon code usably.

Until then, make sure the contents inside that lone folder of the zip is taken out.

Also, since I'm developing this on GLOOME, use that. Here's the base source I also have yet to update. It's literally just a copy of Gloome with FreeDM. https://github.com/Tricorne-Games/Countryball-Combat
Skwirl

Post by Skwirl »

spoone wrote:It keeps saying no player classes defined. Execution could not continue. What do i do?
It was a PITA, but it's done. I consolidated the project so now it should be as easy as running GLOOME.exe to start it up. Let me know if you have any issues.
Skwirl

Post by Skwirl »

Posting a quick update for help wanted...

I'm looking to complete the following, if anyone knows how to do it...

1) Grenades

My current code, you throw the grenade, and after it stops bouncing, it immediately explodes... I have a script that times how long you hold it takes down how many seconds the thrown grenade has until it blows up, but until I can at least stop it from immediately blowing up, I can't do anything. I want to reserve this code for another type of throwable explosive that's designed to blow up on impact instead of a timer... Bonus points if you can script a way to get the time remaining until detonation to show up on the HUD... I have other code in the ACS /scripts/ that does it for air, cold water, etc.

2) A Quicksand sector.

I received a reply about how to make a sector function like quicksand. I have yet to get to it because I'm making many characters right now. But if you can put together something from it that I can test and modify, that would be spiffy. Bonus points if you can make it feel like the oldschool Mario quicksand where you move slow and you have to jump repeatedly to pull out, but you aren't swimming, just moving a lot slower like in my wading move speed code, and if you're way under, the air timer starts.

Here's that reply: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54869&p=967977&hili ... nd#p967977

If it helps any, try modeling it after the other sector types I included in the game, like electric floors and gas sectors... The level script can maintain a list of every sector earmarked to have the effect, for example.

3) Ladders

I tried running an old ladder tutorial, but for some reason it didn't want to cooperate with me. Right now, all it is is a sector with no height limit that when you press against the wall, it will boost your fly height. If I can find a way to make it force your way down, or more importantly put a height/bottom limit on them so you don't go too far off the map on them, that would be wonderful.

=

I don't think I have anything lined up as far as the next coding thing I need done, but these are the two big ones staring me in the face right now. I took care of other stuff, like projected gunsmoke and fixed the emptying effects when switching with weapon swap.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”