[WIP] 2K UltraHD Texture Pack for Doom in the works.

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [WIP] 2K UltraHD Texture Pack for Doom in the works.

Post by hoover1979 »

good point :D

Did the Risen3D team get permission from Id/Bethesda to use the model?
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

I got another texture done yesterday. The skin wall with wood framing.

However it is subject to change as I am not quite happy with it. My biggest gripe is I have not yet developed the skills to create a rough, damaged and frayed wood, which is what I would have liked to have done. When I develop the skills to do this texture the way I had envisioned it, I will remake it. As I am teaching myself my skills will continue to develop and more textures will be remade. I want this pack to be the best it can be.

As I could not get that desired damaged look I have weathered the wood a bit. The horizontal panels have horizontal grain and the vertical panels have vertical grain. I also put nail heads in it with some damage on them to indicate hammer usage.

I also had to resize it for Risen3D so the width did not exceed 4096px Risen3D crashed with an excessive memory usage error in its original size. GZDoom had no issue with the full size texture, so I have saved 2 versions for the 2 engines, but only uploaded the larger one to DeviantArt.

I hope to at some point get it done the way I wish to, but here it is as of now. (CTRL+Click to view in new browser tab. Click on image to zoom in to full size, it is a biggie)

http://orig13.deviantart.net/457a/f/201 ... atmwv1.png
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

One thing I want to mention that I think will improve the texture pack is if they look more on the realistic and detailed side, than just simply HD. There's another HD pack that wasn't ever really finished called DHTP, mainly for Doomsday, and while good most of the textures were sorta clean and tidy looking. I myself prefer grittier textures, but it's also easy to go overboard and make them too gritty.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Nevander wrote:One thing I want to mention that I think will improve the texture pack is if they look more on the realistic and detailed side, than just simply HD. There's another HD pack that wasn't ever really finished called DHTP, mainly for Doomsday, and while good most of the textures were sorta clean and tidy looking. I myself prefer grittier textures, but it's also easy to go overboard and make them too gritty.
Thanks for your feedback. :mrgreen:

The reason I originally started this pack was because the DHTP had many consistency issues. One issue for example was with a cement wall where the wall was one texture, but the same wall with the switch had a different background texture half the resolution and these inconsistencies threw me a lot.

When I have some spare cash I will purchase some stock images for a more realistic skin for the skin walls, as there are no free stock images, of the required resolution that could work. Then I can use brushing to overlay the effect of the skin being stretched on nails in the other skin wall textures. I really want to get the damaged wood look, but that would take time for my skills to further develop, and I must be patient.

I want to get more photographic elements that I can legally use into the pack to improve realism, but there are very limited stock images that are free, so I need to build up my cash reserve so I can purchase more, better images to integrate into the textures. Hopefully this new year, I can successfully apply for a government artists grant so I can get funding for better hardware, more programs and, of course lots of great stock images to integrate into the textures.

Hopefully by the time the pack is officially complete I would have developed more skills to get the pack just right. I would rather the pack take longer to complete and build up the skills to get it done right, than to rush it and have a UltraHD pack that is not realistic enough.

The constructive criticism I am receiving here on this forum is of great value, as it aids me in producing the best work I can possibly do. :D
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

You need to seriously explore the possibilities of photoshop. Also use additional plug-ins.
Textures is not similar to realistic. The last texture is a very obvious example.
Wood look like plastic. Stains on the skin is absolutely straight. Additional texture stands out and is well distinguishable from the main. The textures of the skin blurred.
My previous advices you decided to ignore. I understand, it's yours deal, do whatever you want. I won't bother. :stuppor:
enderandrew

Post by enderandrew »

hoover1979 wrote:When I have some spare cash I will purchase some stock images for a more realistic skin for the skin walls, as there are no free stock images, of the required resolution that could work. Then I can use brushing to overlay the effect of the skin being stretched on nails in the other skin wall textures. I really want to get the damaged wood look, but that would take time for my skills to further develop, and I must be patient.
Could you use photography to capture skin or wood for a texture?

How much does it cost to buy the stock images?
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Doomenator wrote: Also use additional plug-ins.
Could you suggest some more plugins to look at?
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

enderandrew wrote:
hoover1979 wrote:When I have some spare cash I will purchase some stock images for a more realistic skin for the skin walls, as there are no free stock images, of the required resolution that could work. Then I can use brushing to overlay the effect of the skin being stretched on nails in the other skin wall textures. I really want to get the damaged wood look, but that would take time for my skills to further develop, and I must be patient.
Could you use photography to capture skin or wood for a texture?

How much does it cost to buy the stock images?
1: I am not sure.
2: they can be expensive. Some from iStockphoto were as high as $45.00USD for large resolution image.

I am going to have to take a few days break. I've aggravated my back and am struggling to walk atm. After a couple of days rest, I will get back to it.
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

I really don't want to be the crusher of dreams and the destroyer of hope, but HD texture packs will never look good in Doom. The geometry and the lighting of Doom just don't mix with these super high res textures, it's the same with all the other HD texture packs out there. You need to design maps around the textures if you want it to even look half good. I'm not a big fan of these textures themselves, either. They don't fit the Doom aesthetic, way too high-contrast and very cartoony. You should do custom textures in a lower resolution that could actually be useful, instead of high res textures that don't look good.
enderandrew

Post by enderandrew »

I'll counter with saying I appreciate the work you're doing. I hope your back gets better!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

enderandrew wrote:Could you use photography to capture skin or wood for a texture?
If I remember rightly, the SKINCUT textures were based on a photo of a nasty wound that one of the id members had (probably Adrian carmack).
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Enjay wrote:
enderandrew wrote:Could you use photography to capture skin or wood for a texture?
If I remember rightly, the SKINCUT textures were based on a photo of a nasty wound that one of the id members had (probably Adrian carmack).
If Masters of Doom is accurate, it was Kevin Cloud that sustained a knee injury while bicycling to work and elected to take a photograph of it for texturing. (It's also his arm hair on SKINLOW.)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thanks for the correction/extra details. :)
hidfan

Post by hidfan »

dpJudas wrote:
enderandrew wrote:Understandable, but it is also a chicken and the egg scenario where people may not want to work on bump maps if no engine supports them.
My problem is that I need a realistic setup of textures in order to test how changes to the Doom lighting system will really look. In order to get such an extension accepted by Graf, I have to prove that the extension looks good and is a fitting solution to this particular problem. As he evaluates that just as much by visual testing as by inspection of the code, the test material becomes very important. If the solution does not convince him, it he will reject it based on the fact that a poor solution will just increase code maintenance costs (as he should).
enderandrew wrote:Diffuse, normal and specular maps do rely on directional lighting, but couldn't bump (and maybe displacement) maps be added to create depth on flat walls?
From a technical point of view, what Doom has is only ambient light expressed as a light level. Diffuse and specular light rely on the angle the light source hits the surface of the wall - with just ambient light there is no such thing. The normal map expresses the plane angle of the surface itself, but it has to be paired with the angle the light hits the surface for it to be usable.

Doom had this problem already in 1993 where purely ambient light looks just too flat. The fake contrast feature is actually the faked direction to the light source. There is some chance that this could act as the light source direction for the bump map and specular light as well, but there is also the chance that doing this will reveal to the eye that it's all fake.

I did some tests several months back where I created a fake light direction for the calculations - in some situations that looked very fancy, but in others it looked quite terrible. Part of the reason it varied so much was because I didn't have any specular or normal textures - for some walls that looked excellent for that material, and for others it was a disaster. Had I attempted to PR what I had there, it would most certainly have been rejected on the basis that it violates the Doom light model. Thus, part of the challenge is to prove that such a setup can be shown to work within the boundaries of how light functions in Doom.

Quake Tenebrae engine was creating automatically normal and spec maps from the textures, that would be replaced if real ones were found on disk.
It's not the best scenario to prove the rendering is cool, but this makes an "always working feature", even for old or simple wads.
You can use doom3 or quake4 textures for your test, they are pretty good =)

About the Light source On Normal/Spec maps problem :
- I think it's more powerfull, and backwardcompatible/always working to aim for Screen Space Reflections as input of global lighting.(search for SSR in the article)
- Or autogenerated cube maps or spherical harmonics every 64 or 128 units (or more/less for performance/quality reasons). This could be used on monsters as well.
- projectiles/ dynamic lights can do the trick locally (but not everywhere in the level)

- without touching the lighting engine, parralax occlusion would modernise doom without removing it's retro feeling.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

hidfan wrote:Quake Tenebrae engine was creating automatically normal and spec maps from the textures, that would be replaced if real ones were found on disk.
It's not the best scenario to prove the rendering is cool, but this makes an "always working feature", even for old or simple wads.
You can use doom3 or quake4 textures for your test, they are pretty good =)
Grabbing some random textures from the Internet (or doom3 or quake 4) won't really help me because I need textures matching the actual map. Automatically generating them will work, but it won't know the material type, which matters a lot on exactly how that specular texture should look like and what specular levels there should go along with it.

I probably should have been clear that it is just as much a question of motivation for me. If the entire burden is placed on me adding this as a solo project, then I'm just not interested enough to do it - sorry.
hidfan wrote:- Or autogenerated cube maps or spherical harmonics every 64 or 128 units (or more/less for performance/quality reasons). This could be used on monsters as well.
Autogenerated stuff of this sort has the problem that Doom's light is very dynamic. Lights turn on and off, sometimes pulsate. In ZDoom it also might change the fog as well. It might also take a long time to calculate, meaning it needs the editor to do the work or ask the user to fetch a cup of coffee before the level will load.
hidfan wrote:- without touching the lighting engine, parralax occlusion would modernise doom without removing it's retro feeling.
I've seen so many papers and videos about 3D techniques to know that when I see a movie like that, the first question you need to ask yourself is: why did he only illustrate it with one light source and a brick texture? There's a good chance it only works well with brick textures! In any case, GZDoom supports pull requests if you decide to go code that. :)

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”