PSA: Regarding Mods and Resources Hosted on Dropbox

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.
wolfman

Re: PSA: Regarding Mods and Resources Hosted on Dropbox

Post by wolfman »

wildweasel wrote:While I'm able to download from Mediafire, they often redirect the page to an obnoxious full-page ad that blocks attempts to close or go back with "Are you sure you want to leave?" boxes and screws with the page history. I don't like that.
If you mean the pop-up ad when clicking on "Download", it can be stopped by first right-clicking on "Download", then left-click to download the file. This method works in Firefox with Adblock+ (don't know if it works in other browsers).
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Using Chrome with uBlock Origin, here, set to a very strict setting. Somehow Mediafire is able to bypass it.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I use ad block for that, but that's far from being my main issue with Mediafire. Whenever i upload a file like Aracnocide (almost 20Mb), sometimes it just stops the uploading counter, leaving you to give the F5. it might have uploaded the file and stopped, or not, then you start everything again. :/
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

SidDoyle wrote:
Arctangent wrote:... Which means they have less of their storage and server usage ... well, used, while not losing any of their profit.

That's a bad thing, how?
Actually, wouldn't they only be freeing up storage in the case of angry users taking down their accounts? I imagine a great many of us are going to continue to store the files from our public folders in Dropbox even after the folder's been converted to private, if for no other reason than laziness... *points at self*
Belatedly, yeah, but I was referring to if they actually lost users, like Nevander said.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

GAA1992 wrote:I use ad block for that, but that's far from being my main issue with Mediafire. Whenever i upload a file like Aracnocide (almost 20Mb), sometimes it just stops the uploading counter, leaving you to give the F5. it might have uploaded the file and stopped, or not, then you start everything again. :/

I found out that disabling adblock while uploading takes care of that annoying problem.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Really? Thanks, i'm gonna try it out. Seems like Ad Block is not one of seven wonders. Yesterday i went into a site to download some music after almost an year to download, and now they have some kind of Ad Block protection like "Turn off before downloading, or we don't let you download".
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

That's a flat deal breaker for me, honestly. If your site refuses to function with an ad blocker, I will not use your site. It's more than just annoyance with ads, it's a legitimate security risk.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

wildweasel wrote:That's a flat deal breaker for me, honestly. If your site refuses to function with an ad blocker, I will not use your site. It's more than just annoyance with ads, it's a legitimate security risk.
^ Agreed, fully. That is why I often request people to reupload to services that I am able to use with an ad-blocker.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

I feel like I'm speaking into the void, but again, Google Drive.

8-)
Big C

Post by Big C »

Caligari87 wrote:I feel like I'm speaking into the void, but again, Google Drive.

8-)
Seconding this. It's simple, useful, straightforward and spacious even with the free package.

The only reason I can think of someone might not want to use it is because lolGoogle, but I've never had any problems in practice with it in the many years I've been using it.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

wolfman wrote:If you mean the pop-up ad when clicking on "Download", it can be stopped by first right-clicking on "Download", then left-click to download the file. This method works in Firefox with Adblock+ (don't know if it works in other browsers).
This is what I do too, works well so far. Somehow a left click isn't caught by Firefox to stop the pop up but a right click is. Either way, stops those annoying and potential harmful pop ups. I seriously hate pop ups and ads, and it seems like Adblock+ is starting to become unreliable. More and more ads are making their way through the blocker. Not cool internet, not cool.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

While this doesn't help in regards to Mediafire, I find uBlock Origin is much stronger than Adblock Plus and its variants, primarily because of their firm stance against "acceptable ads" (where ABP let some through on purpose because they're sponsored).
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I actually don't mind "acceptable ads" - what I do mind are what ads that slip through as "acceptable."

The whole point of me getting an ad-blocker in the first place was to stop those annoying popups and attempts from web pages to take over my browser, or in any way cost me time. That is completely unacceptable and I do not surf the web to be pestered by these annoying ads. Having ads off to the side or the top of a page though - does not bother me one bit. As long as they're not intrusive.

If you ask me, it's pretty freaking lame that one rotten apple has to spoil the bunch. But until advertisers grow the hell up and become a little less intrusive about content presentation - that's the way it has to be.
Techokami
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Techokami »

FYI, if you think paying for Dropbox to keep the Public Folder functionality is a good solution, it is not. The feature will be taken away from paid customers (Pro and Business) on September 1, 2017. Source.

So yeah, Google Drive is looking really good right now.
Dr. Crowley
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Dr. Crowley »

Caligari87 wrote:I feel like I'm speaking into the void, but again, Google Drive.

8-)
...or Yandex Disk if you don't trust Google and can understand Russian :lol:

Return to “Rules and Forum Announcements”