[Community Project] 20 Monsters Challenge [RELEASED!]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [Community Project] 20 Monsters Challenge [COMING SOON]

Post by Tapwave »

Also, if you downloaded the mappack a couple minutes before Lud posted, redownload it! We had a minor planning hiccup that made us release a slightly incomplete build, but we quickly caught sight of it. :p
All in all, I'm really happy this is finally out! Hope you guys will have as much fun as I did with it!
unRyker

Re: [Community Project] 20 Monsters Challenge [RELEASED!]

Post by unRyker »

I know what I'm playing tomorrow! I really had a great time mapping and working with everyone who participated in this project. Lots of fun were had in the Discord, but the team effort and communication alone was what made this project breathe. I sat and played a more supportive role doing really minor, almost insignificant adjustments to the project while everyone else (Lud, Tapwave, BillGuy, leodoom85, Zero X. Diamond and more!) really went all out. Hopefully everyone, this was worth the wait. I'll have fun with the release, and I hope you do too!
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

Congrats on the release of this! This really was a fun project to map for and I have to say the maps really turned out quite well for such a high volume of submissions. I'm looking forward to mapping again with you guys on future projects!
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Thank you! There probably will be future projects. With plot, too! Take that, boring megawads that don't even replace crawl texts! Storyline is an important part of gameplay. Even Doom gets boring if you just shoot and shoot and shoot... Storyline add a bit of reason why you're shooting, I guess.
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

Something I've been playing around with was Hub mapping, where a key in one map could be used in another map accessed through a central Hub. Think like Hexen where you needed to hit switches and collect keys to activate or unlock areas in the main area. My Hub mapping has been fairly minimal but it could really make for an immersive gameplay experience I think. Although making a series of interconnected maps with different map authors could turn into an utter terror if not closely watched.

Anyways, I'm really happy this project has finally released and right before Christmas to boot.
NAG

Post by NAG »

Well done for putting it all together so quickly! I look forward to playing this over the holidays.
Fishytza

Post by Fishytza »

This project was a great excuse to finally make some release-worthy maps. It was fun and surprising that they turned out so well. (The first map in particular I was worried it might really, really suck.)

It was a boost to my self esteem. So, thanks for that. :)
And I've enjoyed our little chats and arguments on Discord as well. (No hard feelings. :P)

@Voltcom9 Hub mapping sounds like fun. It doesn't have to be utter terror as long as the guidelines about mapping and plot are "set in stone" more or less and enforced.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

We might try it, but for hub mapping to happen the mappers must communicate. Communication is why this thing went live. Communication is why there is progress. You don't talk, things become slow and tension rises, which eventually makes people quit.

As for the rules, this project was a leadership failure by my book, mostly because of the rapid change of rules and even the whole project's goal. Next project, whenever that is, will have nearly all details planned in advance, long before it goes live.

This was as much of a lesson as it was fun. Arguments have broken out, jokes have been made, a need meme has been created, a good time has definitely been had.

But don't think it's over. The ZDoom Forums will see more limit-removing projecs in the future.

We'll be back.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Rob Zombie for launch trailer. 8-)
+1 bro points for that. I approve.
Playing this when I get back home. Hopefully give some feedback, since I haven't played all of these yet. Excitement level >9000 !1!!!!!!11111!
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Been playing this, haven't finished it yet but so far i really like it!
Though i'm getting a bit something here.

There seems to be "technically" WAY more than 20 monsters in Map09 (with the resurrecting monsters, don't they count as infinite since they never die?), was it intentional or did the project allow for such bend in rules?

Guess that's why the name of the map is Crimes...

Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Yeah, we noticed that, too. Kinsie will be Kinsie, I guess. I allow this one act of, well, crime. It's 100% intentional, I can tell you this much. Project didn't really allow it, tbh, but I'll close my eyes for that map. It's certainly beatable, though. While sadistic, it's not impossible.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Probably a good idea Pain Elemental was prohibited. The amount of abuse that thing would have seen would have contravened international peace laws.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

I now know two people who won't be playing the next project. :D
UnTrustable

Post by UnTrustable »

Vostyok wrote:Probably a good idea Pain Elemental was prohibited. The amount of abuse that thing would have seen would have contravened international peace laws.
Why?
I can change the pain elemental so that he only spawn 2 or at most 3 lost souls...?
And that will be the MAXimum of this abuse-possibility. max 23 monsters in 1 map...
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

The idea was 20 monsters per level, period. If a pain elemental were allowed, some mappers would have used many of them to spam lost souls above the limit, and some players don't have "limit pain elementals" enabled. As-is, one map circumvents the rule (in a really mean way) by continuously resurrecting dead monsters because ACS wasn't disallowed.

8-)

Return to “Levels”