[v0.5] A Boy And His Barrel - It's slime time

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Big C

Re: [v0.2.0] A Boy And His Barrel (Costume Contest OPEN, pg.

Post by Big C »

Oooooh, right right. Carry on then!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Janus3003 wrote:Glad you guys like the dress! Before I continue with the shading, Jimmy, which of the three do you prefer?
If that thing on her head is a flower, i think i'd choose 1st one. Jessica wore full red dress, isn't it?
Janus3003

Post by Janus3003 »

Captain J wrote:
Janus3003 wrote:Glad you guys like the dress! Before I continue with the shading, Jimmy, which of the three do you prefer?
If that thing on her head is a flower, i think i'd choose 1st one. Jessica wore full red dress, isn't it?
It's actually supposed to be the part of Jessica's hair that covers half her face. I'll tweak it to make that more obvious.

EDIT
Something like that? I'm very inexperienced with pixel art, so please be specific about anything I'm missing. Thanks.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: [v0.2.1] A Boy And His Barrel (Upgraded to ZScript!)

Post by Jimmy »

Upgrade complete. Have 0.2.1 - it runs on ZScript now!

It will need either QZDoom 1.2.1+ (or GZDoom 2.3.0+), which include ZScript.

Congratulations to Captain J, HorrorMovieGuy and Skelegant whose costumes for Violet have been added to the mod's roster. They are now selectable from the main options menu (F4).

Changes:
- All DECORATE converted to ZScript. Thanks, Gutawer!
- Added Gutawer's pulling scripts! These allow you to carry Violet anywhere by holding down the altfire button when you're next to her. The maps can hence be played much quicker and nothing, from what I can tell, is fundamentally changed about how the game is played. Violet still takes damage if you carry her over damaging floors.
- Added costumes! Customize Violet's look in the Options menu (F4). Current options are bow (default), bikini, skirt, tutu, swimsuit, corset, tiara, neko, bunny, armored, winter, Christmas and dakimakura (body pillow). Plus NUDE! option (no costume) and HARD MODE option (Violet appears as a standard barrel).
- Added five guest costumes submitted through the ZDoom forums. These are Captain J's Apron and Maid, HorrorMovieGuy's Devil and Anime, and Skelegant's Shirt.
- Detonating Violet now doesn't kill you, and instead actually restarts the current map via script.
- Added extra frame of animation for Violet's Spawn state and gave her a visible Pain state. As far as I know this hasn't screwed anything up (yet).
- Improved Violet's sprites. More of the new purple range is used, and better.
- Violet is no longer perpetually fullbright.
- Fixed up the translations applied to Violet when she obtains armor. Now the whole pink range (16:47) gets covered.
- Changed build version warning in light of recent ZDoom discontinuation.
- Changed the first test map's music to D_VICTOR.
- Added MAPINFO slots for the planned 5 maps, plus Gutawer's planned secret map.
- Difficulty 2 (HNTR) now reduces enemy damage by 75%. Additionally "Nightmare!" difficulty has been slightly modified - enemies take more time to respawn due to how slow the maps tend to be played.
- Slightly changed the difficulty names.
- Slightly changed the game name in GAMEINFO.

Sorry, no new maps yet. I'll have them done in the fullness of time, probably as soon as I've decided the game's features are all in place.
Gutawer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gutawer »

Jimmy wrote: - All DECORATE converted to ZScript. Thanks, Gutawer!
Welcome ;)
Cool changes all around. The costumes are great.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Phew, about time, eh? It's been lovely pleasure to make some clothes for her, and i do expect for extra clothes as well!
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Can someone verify if the skills menu is placed strangely off to the right, in a later build of QZDoom? It seems to be the case on my end but I don't want to make a correction in case this is something I need to report as a bug.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

It seems to work just fine for me.
Attachments
bohbskill.png
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Hmm, let me update and see if it still happens. I found the cause of it - I was using CenterMenu, but that hadn't been a problem before now. Looking on the [wiki]MENUDEF[/wiki] wiki article though, it seems like CenterMenu isn't even documented there so maybe it's a specially handled function?

I'm running in a 1024x640 window, if that helps.

EDIT: It's no longer an issue in QZDoom 1.3.0 or GZDoom 2.4.0. All good. :)
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

I am working on a new map for this! This will be MAP03 - Condo of Agony, a tribute to Ultimate Doom E3, in pretty much the same way that MAP01 was largely E1-themed. There are more deliberate (/blatant) homages to the original material here though.

There's an album of more images along with some brief captions on the creative process right here:
https://imgur.com/a/JHcQm

I hope to start on MAP02 soon and release the next update with two brand new maps for all'a'y'all.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

This map looks hella fascinating! Also it looks like loose organs and a severed hand lying on the floor, somehow.
Jimmy

Re: [v0.3] A Boy And His Barrel - Two new maps!

Post by Jimmy »

0.3 is here! Finally. Some big changes this time around - make sure you get a gander at the new maps! :o

Make sure you get QZDoom 1.3.0+ (or GZDoom 2.4.0+), which include ZScript.

Changes:
  • Added MAP02 - 'The Biosphere', and MAP03 - 'Condo of Agony'!
  • Added Boom Sphere, Ghost Sphere, Heal Sphere and Battle Sphere. Sprites by me and the very talented Fuzzball! These are portable powerups like the Rescue sphere.
    • The Boom Sphere faux-detonates Violet, causing a heap of damage to nearby things. Monsters not killed by the blast will be "stunned" for a while before she respawns.
    • The Ghost Sphere acts like the old Blur Sphere, but also forbids monsters from targeting Violet until it wears off.
    • The Heal Sphere will heal Violet to max (200), or the player to max if Violet is already maxed. It can't be used if both are maxed.
    • The Battle Sphere is plain invulnerability that jointly affects Violet.
  • Fixed bio spheres (radsuit replacements) not stacking.
  • Bio spheres and Berserk spheres are now portables.
  • Change the Berserk sphere's use sound. (Q3TA's Kamikaze spawn sound)
  • New set of sprites for the Rescue Sphere. The old sprites are now used for the Heal Sphere.
  • Added more secrets and player-only health kits to MAP01.
  • New title music. Thanks to MarketAnarchy for sharing the track with me. :P
  • Updated the CREDIT and HELP screens.
  • Update to the pulling script by Gutawer that makes teleporting with Violet (in ABAHB MAP01) much less awkward.
  • Update to Violet by Gutawer that ZScript-ifies the costume system and make it less like code spaghettios. Thanks, dude!
  • Changed the Thing_Hate type that attracts enemies to Violet from 1 to 2. I think this method is a little bit more foolproof but I'm not entirely certain.
  • Added recolored health bonus and armor bonus sprites. Hopefully signifies that Violet can pick them up and use them now.
  • Added GLDEFS for the new spheres and recolored bonus sprites.
  • Violet can now heal above 100 with health bonuses (not sure how I missed this :X). These bonuses can't be picked up by either the player or Violet if their health is maxed at 200.
  • You can now drink from Violet while in a healing pool. Finally convinced myself to undo that restriction.
  • Added a distance meter on the HUD so you can tell how close to/far from Violet you are. This is off by default.
  • Added more success lines.
  • Tweaked the colors of the Detonator countdown, and some of Violet's pickup lines. (heh)
  • Violet's nag messages now make a sound.
  • Fixed Violet appearing fullbright during healing and "love" animations.
  • Rearranged the menu again. So as not to touch the default options menu, the ABAHB-specific cvars are now controllable in their own menu accessible from the main menu. "Read This!" is now "How to Play!" and strategically positioned below "New Game".
  • Added cvars that control the font used on Violet's status readout, whether the player's health and inventory get reset on level completion, and whether Violet's health gets reset on level completion. Also all onscreen messages can now be toggled. The cvars are adjustable in the new menu and the full list is as follows:
    • abahb_violetcostume -- default: 0
    • abahb_violetstatusfont -- default: "SmallFont"
    • abahb_resetinventory -- default: true
    • abahb_resetplayerhealth -- default: true
    • abahb_resetbarrelhealth -- default: true
    • abahb_showlevelnames -- default: true
    • abahb_showwarnings -- default: true
    • abahb_showvioletmessages -- default: true
    • abahb_showflashingicons -- default: true
    • abahb_showdistancemeter -- default: false
  • Changed the handling of the Violet costume cvar to be more straightforward with newly acquired knowledge on how floats actually work. (Thanks, Kate!)
  • Fixed up HorrorMovieGuy's costumes to properly palettise the pink on them.
  • Did away with the blueberry M_SKULL since I kinda hate it.
  • Removed the excess "CARRA0" sprite. The proper one should display now when carrying Violet.
  • Gave the carrying weapon a tag that warns the player about not being able to switch weapons when carrying Violet.
And here is a gallery of shots from the second map, The Biosphere.

One shot for teasing purposes:
Jimmy

Re: [v0.3] A Boy And His Barrel - H-fans REJOICE!

Post by Jimmy »

Big announcement time, and great news for H-fans. Mike12 (HDoomguy) and I have been chattering, and it looks like A Boy And His Barrel will be getting full integration with HDoom!

Teaser screenshot:
NSFW Warning: Beware, in yonder hyperlink lie ye pixel tiddies.

While this is very much an in-progress development still, the two mods are technically quite compatible with one another to some extent already - so really, the aesthetic additions like Violet's new look here are simply to make the experience in ABAHB a bit more special. :) Let's face it, there's only so much emotional attachment one can achieve towards an inanimate industrial container. I think altering the titular character into an actual sapient being makes it a far more personable relationship, don't you? Yes? ...No? Come on guys, you can't tell me I'm the weird one here. :x

We hope you like the idea! Mike and I have been bashing away hard and fast at the new sprites, so we hope it pleases one and all once fully exposed to the world. :^)

Bonus jiggle:
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Holy Radiating Slimeballs. Mike did it once again, huh? I thought this eventually happen, but this is just wonderful(i know today's april fool but just let me get to the point)!
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

Jimmy you're tricking us again
maybe in possibly 10 years we will get some brutlal hdoom compatibility

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”