[WIP] 2K UltraHD Texture Pack for Doom in the works.

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [WIP] 2K UltraHD Texture Pack for Doom in the works.

Post by hoover1979 »

Doomenator wrote:
hoover1979 wrote:I am accepting any suggestions and/or feedback, to assist in the direction of the project.
How many textures are already finished?
What about support diffuse map, normal map, bump map?
I am guessing about 15%? some textures take 2 weeks to make and others I can make 5 in a day. (the tech walls and industrial doors took weeks to do and all the cement textures were done in 8 hours).
I can't, as of yet import my finished textures into filter forge to apply specular, bump and normal maps to my finished textures, I can only apply those render maps to their filters. I will shoot filter forge an email some time asking for an update to allow applying rendermaps to imported images.

Is there another program that can easily add specular/bump/normal maps to a finished texture?
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Doomenator wrote:
hoover1979 wrote:I am accepting any suggestions and/or feedback, to assist in the direction of the project.
It seems to me that until the project is completed you will take a few years.
I am hoping to get the first stage (the textures themselves) done in just over a year, before working on bright/shine maps for the next releases. However that can change in the future, as I am pushing through chronic, often debilitating back pain from a Motor Vehicle Accident 20 years ago, and some days I can't even stand up, or walk (due to severe Nerve Pain).

I have downloaded collaborative texture packs before and there were some mismatched textures that threw me out of the immersion, so if all the textures were done by one author they can match seamlessly (which, I think would make it worth the wait).

An example was a set of concrete textures that were 1k, and the one that had the switch has a different texture that is 512px.

Now that I have purchased some better software I am also having a ball adding ambient occlusion, to some of the textures which makes them more realistic and immersive.

I have, however discovered that the Risen3D Engine hates any texture with a dimension over 8192px (either X or Y) but GZdoom 2 has no problems loading textures with 16384px width (required to get the skies in Evilution to not stretch). The GZDoom pack has the Evilution skies at 16384x2048px but the Risen3D pack has those skies downsampled to 8192x1024px to stop the Risen3D crashing on Evilution, at level load with a memory violation.

Risen3D is fork of Doomsday (jDoom), so it is likely the Doomsday release would also need those 16384x2048px sky textures downsampled too.

Next year I will apply for a Government Artist Grant, so I can beef up my hardware (Adding 1,000w PSU, X-99 Mobo, 6th Gen i7, 128gb 3400 DDR4 RAM and 2x GTX Titan X (Pascal) SLI, to my Rig) so I can spend less time watching filters render, and more time making the textures.

Maybe one day I could learn 3D modelling and make a full set of 3D models for Doomsday/Risen3D and render the models out for an UltraHD sprite pack for GZDoom, but I have no Idea when, or if that can happen.
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

I think Risen3D is just reworked one of the old beta versions of jDoom. Without the promising project which is stuck in the distant past.

Regarding normal maps.
Once upon a time I used Nvidia plugin to create normal maps. But it is not suitable for all textures. It just emulates 3D surface that is similar to embossing.
Normal map should make from 3D object, and it is not possible on a flat texture. So many things have to be done manually.
But the use filter forge textures as a base, greatly simplifies the task. With other generally don't see any problems.
By the time, GZdoom will support diffuse map, bump map, normal map. I would like to have a ready texture pack, so we should take care in beforehand.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

I wonder if the texture can be placed in a flat polygon in Blender and then be extruded, for creation of normal maps fit for Parallax Occlusion Mapping?

I have Blender on Steam but have not really touched it and it looks like a program that will take some time to figure out. Time better spent on making textures.

I plan on shooting the Filter Forge team an email with a request for the option to load a finished texture in FF and apply the render maps without removing the texture and replacing it with a filter.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

I am currently working on a very complex techwall and will update it to my DeviantArt repository inside the next several days.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Doomenator wrote:I think Risen3D is just reworked one of the old beta versions of jDoom. Without the promising project which is stuck in the distant past.

Regarding normal maps.
Once upon a time I used Nvidia plugin to create normal maps. But it is not suitable for all textures. It just emulates 3D surface that is similar to embossing.
Normal map should make from 3D object, and it is not possible on a flat texture. So many things have to be done manually.
But the use filter forge textures as a base, greatly simplifies the task. With other generally don't see any problems.
By the time, GZdoom will support diffuse map, bump map, normal map. I would like to have a ready texture pack, so we should take care in beforehand.
when the time comes to do bump/normal/diffuse maps, if I can't figure out how to do accurate bump/normal/diffuse maps myself I could farm that step out to another artist and add them to the credits for the project.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Do you have a download URL for the textures you've done so far? I'd really like to get an idea of how they look like in-game, even though I know they are all WIP at this stage.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

dpJudas wrote:Do you have a download URL for the textures you've done so far? I'd really like to get an idea of how they look like in-game, even though I know they are all WIP at this stage.
not at the moment. I am planning on uploading some Youtube videos demonstrating the textures in GZDoom. Maybe I can also upload some screenshots of the textures ingame on my Deviantart page in a seperate section

I will be out today as my work is having the end of year office christmas party. I hope it does not end up like the movie though :)

so tomorrow I can fire up Nvidia Shadowplay desktop capture and film some gameplay

EDIT: I have placed a link for a youtube video of the pack ingame in the OP. :D
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

I have remade the Skull Switch with a more realistic stone housing and added it to my DeviantArt repository. Click the link in the OP to see it. :D
Velaron

Post by Velaron »

As for me, most of them, though being in 2K, look just too flat and cartoonish and lack detail or smth
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

I have remade most of the Green stone textures and added them to my DeviantArt repository.

EDIT: i have also redone the green wall with pipes, removing the temporary, unrealistic pipes and replacing them with 2 layers of more realistic pipes. I have also remade the metal hexagonal floor and the metal hexagonal floor with rust.
In the new year I will add the Texture Pack project to ModDB and have a test build of the textures I have completed, at the time for people to test ingame.

Here is an example (Metal Hexagonal Floor with Rust remake)

CTRL+Click to open full size image in new tab (to save forum page from large image posting induced meltdown)
http://pre09.deviantart.net/5026/th/pre ... aseco0.png
Last edited by hoover1979 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

This is a screenshot of the Work in Progress Texture Pack ingame.

I took this screenshot of E2M4 running off the Risen3D port with some of my textures in place. (click on the thumbnail to expand the image)

^Thanks to Caligary87 for reuploading to a better fromat^
Last edited by hoover1979 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:58 am, edited 5 times in total.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Please check the forum rules on large images, not everyone has the screen size or bandwidth capacity for such large screenshots and they tend to break the forum layout.

The best option is to upload your screenshot to Imgur and then use the thumbnail/resize feature to link a smaller version here to the fullsize one. I've reuploaded it for you to demonstrate; you can copy this codeblock into your post to give a small thumbnail which links to the fullsize image.

Code: Select all

[url=http://i.imgur.com/8IExnX2.png][img]http://i.imgur.com/8IExnX2t.png[/img][/url]
8-)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Yeah to give you an example, this is what I see:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

These look pretty neat. They are less true to the originals than the ones that Reinchard was working on (what happened there BTW?) but I personally don't have a problem with people taking their own direction with the art style if that's what they want to do.

It is perhaps worth noting that some of the green textures (such as "Green Stone Wall with Skulls") were originally meant to be smooth, shiny marble rather than the grittier, rougher looking stone effect of these textures but then, the rougher appearance makes them more consistent with the green stone brick textures.

Inn other news.
There is a nice mod on the DRD forum that shrinks oversized images to something more manageable but allows you to pop-out the full image by clicking on it. Not sure if the mod is compatible with the version of the forum software being used here or not.

Personally, I use a Firefox plugin that allows me to shrink images on forums like this if I want to.
Spoiler:

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”