Special Weapons: Updated 01-24-17

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Josh771

Re: Special Weapons: Updated 12-10-16 [beta]

Post by Josh771 »

I have a little request for any able volunteers:
Rainbow Six-style Mugshot
Rainbow Six-style Mugshot
STFST01.png (1.15 KiB) Viewed 1151 times
Could someone perhaps make a full set of Doom mugshots with this? Or if not with this, then at least this same exact style - mask and goggles.

That would be amazing. Just a request. ;)
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

I recalled older Rainbow Six titles having similar mugshots like Doom instead of an already masked operative.
You sure you're gonna use that?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

If you're after a placeholder, I recall Twilight Warrior (and its EDGE-based remake, Covert Ops) used a balaclava-clad Doomguy face.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

ZikShadow wrote:I recalled older Rainbow Six titles having similar mugshots like Doom instead of an already masked operative.
You sure you're gonna use that?
I've got the mugshots of all the operatives of RS3, but I wanted to choose a more anonymous portrait. Eventually I'd like the player sprites to look like counter-terror operatives, but the best I might ever do there is to edit the player's head. I understand it would be difficult to really demonstrate the player taking damage, etc. with the complete cover, but I'm not sure I like the feel of anything else. I'll have to think about it.

Maybe something with the eyes behind the goggles would be better.
wildweasel wrote:If you're after a placeholder, I recall Twilight Warrior (and its EDGE-based remake, Covert Ops) used a balaclava-clad Doomguy face.
I might have to look at that.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

wildweasel wrote:If you're after a placeholder, I recall Twilight Warrior (and its EDGE-based remake, Covert Ops) used a balaclava-clad Doomguy face.
Yeah, it's placeholder material alright, only 4 frames.
One for the front, the other for the left and right, and the final one being invincibility.

ImageImageImageImage
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

I know black color doesn't show reflections at all unless it's shiny, but i'd give it more shades into it. Other than that, it looks fine!
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

I've decided to just make my own status bar mugshot, starting with the original Doom faces. Here's a WIP image:
One row finished
One row finished
faces_WIP.png (31.66 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
I'll probably touch up colors and shading after I finish the whole set. I'm thinking Doomguy's mask can get torn, stained, and thread-bare in a few places as you take damage, plus I'm trying to preserve his expressions through the mask. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Enhanced the contrast a bit on the preview image.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Though if you think about it does this mean that medkits and stimpacks have the necessary materials for repairing your mask when collecting them inexplicably gets it from falling apart to brand new? (I mean I know the instant healing itself is unrealistic but I like to think of it as something like what happens in the game Loadout... though your clothes get fixed in that game too. Fuck.)
Wolfbrf

Post by Wolfbrf »

Please add a option to summon friends marines, on original rainbow six, friends soldiers help you.
Or on the start of each -map, players can select betwen few classes(recon, rifleman, sniper, shotgunner, assault, riotshield, support..) and start the round with 3 or more friends.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Wolfbrf wrote:Please add a option to summon friends marines, on original rainbow six, friends soldiers help you.
Or on the start of each -map, players can select betwen few classes(recon, rifleman, sniper, shotgunner, assault, riotshield, support..) and start the round with 3 or more friends.
This was actually an idea I had when I was just bouncing this project off of people kinda half-heartedly. I might add friendlies at some point, but it's an area I have no experience with. If the game's inbuilt action functions do not suffice for moving your squad to follow you, hold position, or move to a designated spot, etc. then I'll have to write my own AI for them using lots of trig and if-else blocks and maybe some ACS. That will take a lot of debugging I'm sure; still, I like the idea and would like to add it at some point.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

I've done more work on the status faces; I'm pretty happy with most of it, but I haven't seen it in action so I'm not sure how well it animates. I have some suspicions about the patterning on the mask, that it won't look right when this is in motion. I dread making any tweaks for that (I'm very particular and would spend way too much time getting it perfect) and I've honestly been putting these together pretty impatiently.
Much progress
Much progress
faces_WIP.png (26.05 KiB) Viewed 930 times
My level of patience is probably the primary reason I'm not a sprite artist. I can be patient with a piece of code; the solution is out there and it simply works - period. Art is so much more nebulous; I can never be certain I've gotten it "right." :P
Wolfbrf

Post by Wolfbrf »

On classic brutal doom, the friends marines follow you, and you can can use simple commands(follow, stay). On another mod(a ww2 mod, i forgive the name) you become a captan and can summon a lot of troops, and use many commands. Maybe it can help you to study the code.

Also, real guns hardcore has good class/weapon/skill select before you start the maybe it can help you to see how to make something similar to summon friends marines. I think brutal doom has something similar to run on starter pack(-map pack).

Also, you can download my mod(brutal Wolf arsenal) the alt fire of grenades summon a small teleport place, these marines follow the player.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

SidDoyle wrote:I've done more work on the status faces; I'm pretty happy with most of it, but I haven't seen it in action so I'm not sure how well it animates. I have some suspicions about the patterning on the mask, that it won't look right when this is in motion. I dread making any tweaks for that (I'm very particular and would spend way too much time getting it perfect) and I've honestly been putting these together pretty impatiently.
Great job on that! Now his mask has shades and such, nice! Also, keep going, it's not much bad.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

I think it looks pretty cool if i do say so myself!
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Nearly finished!
Nearly finished!
faces_WIP.png (18.77 KiB) Viewed 816 times
After I finish these mugshots, I'll see about wrapping up some armor replacements I've been working on and try to get an update online here. I'm not entirely sure what I'll do after that; perhaps I should take a serious look at making a custom HUD for this mod - especially considering the terrible hacks I intend to use for max ammo and extended magazines. :P

I haven't been in contact with Sgt. Shivers for 2 or 3 days; that M1 animation is fantastic and I'm eager to see more, but I have to be patient. I'm just grateful to have someone chipping away at it; maybe I'll go give him a poke and see if he's not busy... and then if he's not busy I'll force him to make all the weapons... and by force I mean beg politely...

Return to “Gameplay Mods”