[REL/FINAL] GZDoom-GPL 2.4 - now with software renderer

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Agentbromsnor

Re: [src+bin] GZDoom-GPL - GPL'ed GZDoom for indies

Post by Agentbromsnor »

I'm an idiot. I just didn't look in the right place and assumed it wasn't there. Derp. Sorry!
Alekv

Post by Alekv »

Hello Nash! tell me please, when will be added action function A_SetRenderStyle? Very need =) https://zdoom.org/wiki/A_SetRenderStyle

Do you know the SSAO will have time to add up to the new year? At least an experimental
Nash

Post by Nash »

A_SetRenderStyle is already in there. SSAO will be in when GZDoom gets it.
Alekv

Post by Alekv »

Many thanks )
I watched the last assembly yesterday morning..

"SSAO will be in when GZDoom gets it."
That's what I wanted to ask. You do not know when it will be there?
Nash

Post by Nash »

I don't know. =D dpJudas is busy with QZDoom, Graf Zahl is busy with ZScript. Let's just wait patiently. :D
Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor »

I would like to mention that GZDoom-GPL does have a tendency to crash on start-up every once in a while. It doesn't happen often, mind you, but sometimes it happens more frequently than others. When it happens, the window shows up, waits for a little bit, and the typical Windows message displaying "This program has stopped responding" pops up. Since this hasn't happened to me before when using regular GZDoom, I thought I would mention this.
agenten

Post by agenten »

Hi, I don't mean to bump the thread for no reason but I just wanted to say thank you and that I've been using it for a project I'm working on. Thanks Nash!
Nash

Post by Nash »

You're welcome! There are some things going on behind the scenes which I am not ready to discuss yet (don't worry, the end result will be something pleasant for everyone; I just need to figure out HOW I'm going to handle this, and more importantly, need free TIME to do it >_< IRL sucks)... which is why there haven't been any new binaries pushed out yet. That, and I'm waiting for ZScript to be production-ready upstream.
agenten

Post by agenten »

I can only imagine! Well I'm currently still testing in regular GZDoom and GPL'd version and navigating the differences and the licensing and all that, so i haven't been too worried about the binary updates as I'm not 100% up to date on GZDoom either(indeed, I'm entirely still learning it).

I did have one thing I wasn't sure if it was necessary, the brightmaps.pk3 and lights.pk3 were removed because they describe vanilla doom assets. But, they can also describe freedoom assets, and they can be used as a starter template. Also afaik they're community content? Currently I'm still using GZDoom because I need them enabled for performance testing and I'm not ready to rewrite my own defs and figure out how to get GZDGPL to like them again. As I recall I wasn't able to reenable the stock versions of them from within GZDGPL, even if I carried them over from elsewhere. In the end, it doesn't matter too much as long as when I rewrite them I am somehow able to renable them, after having been rewritten.

My apologies if I'm missing something crucial and obvious but I'm totally new at most all of this stuff. =)
Nash

Post by Nash »

To the best of my knowledge, the contents in stock brightmaps.pk3 are all edited sprites from the commercial games (Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Strife) and has no Freedoom brightmaps... so you'll have to make one by yourself (good ol' SLADE will do) and add it yourself as in your -file call, or in your AutoLoad section of the INI or whatever.

Technically, you CAN just drag the brightmaps.pk3 from GZDoom into GZDoom-GPL and if the Doom/Raven/Strife IWADs are loaded as well, they should work. If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll look into it.

As for lights.pk3... I have been thinking about this for a while. It's a text-only lump with no graphics, and it makes sense if the game project imports a custom actor inheriting from the base game actors, and wants to use the base definitions in lights.pk3 for lighting. I will see to reintroducing lights.pk3 into the distribution.
Nash

Re: GZDoom-GPL [software renderer coming soon...]

Post by Nash »

♪ Guess who's back... back again ♪
♪ Software's back... tell a friend ♫
Stuka

Post by Stuka »

It looks nice
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Nash wrote:Image

♪ Guess who's back... back again ♪
♪ Software's back... tell a friend ♫

Except voxels, I guess, right? That one function is still code directly from Build, but it's the only one left.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Graf Zahl wrote:
Except voxels, I guess, right? That one function is still code directly from Build, but it's the only one left.
Of course. :D That's the only thing left.

What I uploaded was just a preview image (it actually took some careful work to bring the software stuff back into the repo without completely shitting all over the commit history). None of the code or binaries have been pushed yet; they're still only on my hard disk. So technically, the software renderer still isn't back yet...
Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor »

Nice to see work being done on making the software-renderer GPL'd!

One question though: I can't help but wonder why noone on the ZDoom team has ever attempted to make the software renderer GPL again. Would you guys ever consider integrating the GPL'd software renderer into (G)ZDoom the future?

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”