[BETA] Danimator - Beta2 is L I V E (p. 4)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Murix

Re: [BETA] Danimator - Beta2 is L I V E (p. 4)

Post by Murix »

Holy shit. Ok I'm now much MUCH more confident in making working weapons now.
jmickle

Post by jmickle »

Is the source code available online anywhere?
Kizoky
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kizoky »

I'm in love with this thing
Makes my job easier, thank you! :D
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Open Danimator.exe. Click "View" in the file menu, select "Settings", click "OK". Danimator.exe has stopped working.

Also, it seems this program can't read grAb chunks from imported sprites, which seems like a humongous oversight considering offsets are meant to be applied to already positioned images... If this program reads Doom Image Format x and y, great, but that's only half the necessary support in this modern world of Doom editing.

Also also I'm told it would be very helpful if there was some way to change a whole composited TEXTURES sprite offset in the viewer, not just the offsets for individual patches.
DoomN00b

Post by DoomN00b »

Zhs2 wrote:Open Danimator.exe. Click "View" in the file menu, select "Settings", click "OK". Danimator.exe has stopped working.

Also, it seems this program can't read grAb chunks from imported sprites, which seems like a humongous oversight considering offsets are meant to be applied to already positioned images... If this program reads Doom Image Format x and y, great, but that's only half the necessary support in this modern world of Doom editing.

Also also I'm told it would be very helpful if there was some way to change a whole composited TEXTURES sprite offset in the viewer, not just the offsets for individual patches.
Could you expand and explain a bit about this for us whom are newbs? Does this mean, that if I say, wanted to modify some sprites from Russian Overkill, this would not be possible with Danimator, then?

But it would be possible to edit the weapons from Aliens TC?

And how can we petition the Theshooter7 to include this feature? Could we provide him with the necessary code from a similar project, or have one of the programmers working on for instance, Russian Overkill give him some tips on how to resolve the problem in a most elegant fashion?
Velaron

Post by Velaron »

Can I somehow set the base offsets for sprites? Because for now I am subtracting them from the generated values, and that's kinda annoying.
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

I found this today and thanks, it's a lifesaver.

After using this to revamp all animations for my modified HeXen weapons I found few things I kinda miss:
-customizable background colors - the cyan is kinda too bright, contrast between it and the black stencil is too sharp. I would prefer to be able to set my own.
-widescreen stencil - I am making all the stuff widescreen friendly nowadays and I have to guess where the wide screen ends. I think the correct 16x9 resolution with the DooM non square pixels is 428x200. At least that's what I am working with
-I second Mars873 request for default sprite offsets, maybe even loading directly from WAD file would be nice.
Nash

Post by Nash »

It is really unfortunate that the source was never put up on Github or similar open source platforms; it seems the author has been absent for quite some time and without the source, no one can continue the work on this...
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Ah, I thought it's active. What a pity. Still really useful tool.
Doomedarchviledemon

Post by Doomedarchviledemon »

I just tried this out and it's a really neat program, be it having a few issues as many have stated already. I actually found out a way to make animations work quite well while dealing with the whole offset issue. Not fully explored but I found that keeping the offsets of whatever images imported into Slade3 as (0, 0) from the start and them importing the code into the DECORATE it works perfectly. Though the Select, Deselect, and Raise has an issue where that image needs to have it's own offsets to work properly. I might play around with it a little more and maybe make some kinda tutorial to better explain the process I used.

But the thing that gets me now more than anything is that you can't have two individual sprites on the same frame, which is really killing me. I am wanting to make a magic weapon that uses two hands and I can't have them both as separate entities on the same frame. They need to be pre-positioned single images.

I really hope we hear from the author in the future because there is so much potential here. Anyone hear from him outside of the forums?
Nash

Post by Nash »

Mars873 / Doomedarchviledemon: I ran into the issue of composing animations with baked offsets too (offsets embedded into the PNGs themselves) and my workaround is to just do the composition in Danimator. Bring it into the game, of course it's positioned wrongly - here's where I created some very convoluted ZScript to then calculate the proper offsets based on the difference of the baked image offsets VS the Danimator-generated offsets. The convoluted part is the ZScript spews out the correct state list, complete with the corrected Offset()s, which is outputted to a logfile on disk, which I then paste into my actors. So I basically wrote ZScript that writes ZScript to disk. :P

Would be 10000000000000000x better if Danimator just took the baked offsets into account when showing the sprites in the editor.

Ah well...
ShamblerTheGambler

Post by ShamblerTheGambler »

What can I do about MSVCP120.dll missing from my computer? I already tried reinstalling the program. Please help, I'm a [censored word] dumbass who cant solve shit on his own.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

ShamblerTheGambler wrote:What can I do about MSVCP120.dll missing from my computer? I already tried reinstalling the program. Please help, I'm a [censored word] dumbass who cant solve shit on his own.
Apparently you don't have the Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributables installed.

Visit the Microsoft Download Center https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=40784 and choose the version that's right for you.
x86 for 32-Bit and x64 for 64-Bit systems.

If you're unsure of which version you have, on Windows 10 right click start menu (the windows icon in the lower left corner) and then select System.
Bread Knight

Post by Bread Knight »

this needs to come back, my life depends on it
BinaryCode___

Post by BinaryCode___ »

I am trying to use Danimator Beta2, but there is a major issue: The screen is black and I do not know how to fix it. Is there a solution for this? I've downloaded all of the relevant (2013, 2015) Visual Studio packages and it still doesn't work.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”