Hearts of Demons - BARON [1.1.0] 7/29/22

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gideon020

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [NotAsEarlyWIP][So Indecisive]

Post by Gideon020 »

Brohnesorge wrote:Yeah I'm not sure how I didn't think the Unlimited/Boost combo while testing was way too OP. Guess I wasn't really focusing on it.

The Belial is under pretty close inspection right now, now that I've finished the Melee for now. I've been tweaking its spread a lot, and now I'm thinking about changing it's sprites, if for no other reason then I feel like you see the current sprites for it in too many other mods. I might also change the Azael sprites. And yeah, there is a way to do that with the sound. Just have to move some code around. Might make a looping fire sound for it.

How do we feel about this? This would be the replacement for Belial, with the jitter obviously getting fixed and the whole animation being better polished.

before someone says anthing, the base sprites are by chornoteeth, the muzzleflash 'flames' are by phantombeta and the edit putting them together by me.
Yes, use it. The sprite is good, but the current Belial might as well be a a wimpier Vulcan. This one looks better and I like the idea of a rotary gun and a revolver gun.
Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Brohnesorge »

GOODGOOD wrote:"I have an idea!!
Wraithlord" Heavy Shotgun
It's a Pump Action shotgun that has a long cocking, high damage , relatively low spread, a fair amount of recoil, and an iron sights...
It has 3Firing modes:
1.AP Buckshot: it fires a scattershot of pellets that pierce armor effectively, Enchantment Effect:Slight Damage Boost Increase.
2.Hellshot:Fires a Dragon's Breath shells(Self Explanatory), Enchantment Effect:Shoots Fire Grenades? (I'm running out of ideas)
3.Slug:(Self Explanatory), Enchantment Effect:Damage Increase+Fire effect?

The Grand Grimoire(Sleepy Hollow anyone?): A spellbook collection of dark magic capable of levelling an entire city... at a cost of some blood of course

The "Last Will" Sword: A Legendary Hell Sword, it's origin was a Demon who were collecting a few evil human souls for sh*ts and giggles. And so He thought that it is better decided to make a sword out these souls and blessed with the light of holyness. and so he tested it against his (former) ally... The Cyberdemon, as it turned it was effective only took him out in 4 swings. Legends says that he Rested as a Human and helping humans and then locked away the sword, after all... he is a holy one. It's a DoubleEdged-Lightweight-Strong-Broadsword that has a evil soul gem in the Pommel and 3 light gems in the grip , it's alternate fire is "Energy Slash" that unleashes ranged white-red-outline slash that are weaker but atleast is a good thing so yeah.

I think that's all so thank you if this Idea is helpful to you :)
Really, dude, you should learn how to DECORATE and make a mod yourself. You've got some pretty cool ideas and it would be interesting to see what you can do. However, I have said a couple times previously that I'm not adding any more guns and I'm saving any medieval weapon ideas for a different mod. The Grimoire kinda already exists in the form of boosted Devastation.

Anyway back to the topic of the hour: I've decided I am going to replace the Belial sprites. Sorry shotfan. I'm playing around with seeing if I can get The Baron to grip it convenincingly. Here's my first somewhat acceptable attempt. Key word first. What do all of you think? Or should I just omit the hand all together?
hand on gun.png
EDIT: OH GOD IT'S AWFUL IN GAME NEVERMIND.
Spoiler: ITS SO BLURRY AND UGHUGHUGH
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

Hey, no problem that you decided otherwise. This is your mod, and you can do whatever you want with it. I am just one of the many guys providing feedback :wink:

I would say to omit the holding (left) hand altogether. Barons are very strong (this is not said anywhere, but is based on the common sense - just look at their musculature!), so they should wield such guns effortlessly. Vulcan is what I imagine they would need both hands for.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

We should honor this new update with something, like a stone or a piece of wood. Piece of wood. PIECE OF WOOD.
Spoiler: CHANGELOG OOOOOOVERDRIIIIVEUUUUUU
All righty, THIS is the last update before the BETA update. Now, I implore all of you fine ladies and gentlemen to load this up on your favorite megawad/monster mods/whatever, play through it, and bring forth any and all concerns you might have. Nitpick the shit out of it. I want to have the beta be as polished as possible. Even if its something you've brought up before, bring it up again! I'll do small polish things until the Beta, but no more added content for now.

Also, any miscellaneous features, things like puffs, enemy sounds, GL Lights for flats, anything to help sell on the Baron thing, etc. you want to see added, please tell me some of those too. This is all to build my TODO list for the Beta release. I want to hear from all of you! Yes, even you people who vote in polls but don't post anything, I want to hear all of your thoughts!
Dalse

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [FinalAlpha][M202 Poll]

Post by Dalse »

Man, I am loving this wad! Finally it is possible to play as a big, powerful monster!

Anyway! Some feedback:

- When the claw hits a wall, it makes no sound.

- I think you should increase the ammo consumption of the primary fire of the rocket launcher , since the secondary fire seems so weak in comparison.

- You forgot to update the first page of the topic with the recent changes!

- Is the Enhanced claw affected by berserk? Also, in my opnion , the enhaced claw seems a bit...weak in comparison to the other weapons.

- I think you should try giving a feedback about the enchantment delay. Its strange pressing a key and nothing happening at the moment of the press.

- A small spell effect on the hands depending of the spell of choice would be nice.

- I know about the poll, but I think the m202 sprite is way too big and blurry and it should be changed.

- How about the weapons and spells enchantments drain mana when active? To give a reason to have them as a toggle instead of leaving it always on!

- Great work at the Belial's sprite!
Overlord

Post by Overlord »

the footstep sound is a bit annoying
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Brohnesorge wrote: Also, any miscellaneous features, things like puffs, enemy sounds, GL Lights for flats, anything to help sell on the Baron thing, etc. you want to see added, please tell me some of those too. This is all to build my TODO list for the Beta release. I want to hear from all of you! Yes, even you people who vote in polls but don't post anything, I want to hear all of your thoughts!
Are there any plans to port this over to Hexen/Heretic in the future?
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Dalse wrote:
- When the claw hits a wall, it makes no sound.
Oh, well, that's awkward. I'll get on top of that.
- I think you should increase the ammo consumption of the primary fire of the rocket launcher , since the secondary fire seems so weak in comparison.
Hmm, I'll tweak around with it. The idea is that you use the primary on groups and the alt on single hard targets, but the Primary is too strong. I don't want to jump to increased ammo consumption because it doesn't make sense, though
- You forgot to update the first page of the topic with the recent changes!
I'll get to it in a few.
- Is the Enhanced claw affected by berserk? Also, in my opnion , the enhaced claw seems a bit...weak in comparison to the other weapons.
Yes it is. The 'slash' turns green to give you visual feedback on it. It's kinda meant as more of a last resort/ammo saving weapon, so it's not overly powerful, but is still good against zambos and imps. I don't use it much normally, but I'll use it more and tweak it around.
- I think you should try giving a feedback about the enchantment delay. Its strange pressing a key and nothing happening at the moment of the press.
I've gotten annoyed by this already, so I plan on fixing this soon. Expect a hotfix within a few hours of this post. is fixed. Now there is no delay.
- A small spell effect on the hands depending of the spell of choice would be nice.
That's a pretty neat idea. Expect it in the beta.
- I know about the poll, but I think the m202 sprite is way too big and blurry and it should be changed.
Working on it.
- How about the weapons and spells enchantments drain mana when active? To give a reason to have them as a toggle instead of leaving it always on!
I'll experiment around with this. Currently they drain mana when they shoot on top of the bullet consumption, but introducing the Soul Gems made it less noticeable.
- Great work at the Belial's sprite!
I can't take too much credit. All I did was frankensprite the muzzleflash and make the cord glow. But I'm glad you like it.
Overlord wrote:the footstep sound is a bit annoying
Could you be more specified? The damn things have been a major pain to get right since I introduced them, so details are nice. Like, are they too loud, too quite, too frequent, too high pitched, etc?
Gideon020 wrote: Are there any plans to port this over to Hexen/Heretic in the future?
...I hadn't considered it, but I'll look into it. It wouldn't be until pretty far into the beta/on full release but I'll keep it on the table.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Hey guys, little bit of a progress report with a shitty video showcasing some beta features like decals, updated melee animations and the new magic system.

I'd say progress is around 70%. I still have to put in the alt-fires for each spell into the new magic system, implement the hand sprites, and make some new sprites for Boosted Mode: Red skin and red energy. Cuz the D64 Baron threw red bawls.
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

Everything in this video looks promising!

Alright, I am freshly after another session with Oblige (11 medium-sized maps) and DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer. Here are my notes:

- Soul Gems may give a bit too much of Mana. How much exactly they give? Even +50 to Mana limit would be a lot, since this means a bouns Devastation spell. After 10 or so of Soul Gems found, I could run around and take down whole rooms of demon scum recklessly with spells. But maybe this is the point... :twisted:
- The mana drops do not overheal, whereas they should IMO.
- What does the Enhanced Claws altfire do? Seems bugged.
- Where is the ground smash attack?
- Where are the HORNS
- (Have I said this before?) Belial needs more reverb to its firing sound.
- Bug: you can activate Spell Booster for claws (slot 1), but this does not do anything.
Overlord

Post by Overlord »

Brohnesorge wrote:
Dalse wrote:
Overlord wrote:the footstep sound is a bit annoying
Could you be more specified? The damn things have been a major pain to get right since I introduced them, so details are nice. Like, are they too loud, too quite, too frequent, too high pitched, etc?
Feels like a human walking not a monster, try with the footstep of zdoom wars for hk/baron, that footstep fits!
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

shotfan wrote:Everything in this video looks promising!

- Soul Gems may give a bit too much of Mana. How much exactly they give? Even +50 to Mana limit would be a lot, since this means a bouns Devastation spell. After 10 or so of Soul Gems found, I could run around and take down whole rooms of demon scum recklessly with spells. But maybe this is the point... :twisted:
*They replace the Backpack, so normally it is hard to get that many. During testing, I felt like +50 was too low, as that means you would have to find 4 gems to get the same effect as the backpack and it competes with the backpack for mapspace, so progression was pretty slow. And yeah, if you manage you get 10, you are meant to be super stronk.*
- The mana drops do not overheal, whereas they should IMO.
*They did in a previous build, but I felt it made The Baron too strong. Souls are super common after all, but I might make the big ones overheal.*
- What does the Enhanced Claws altfire do? Seems bugged.
*Explosion centered on the player. It's sprites are bugged so they don't show up. I'm actually working on this right now. Remember that Reload switch between the two alt-fires, but it does go super fast for now.*
- Where is the ground smash attack?
*See above*
- Where are the HORNS
*Pushed back basically, until I can find a better sprite. The ones I had looked really bad on 16:9 resolution, and where a weird size where they could only be center on 800x600*
- (Have I said this before?) Belial needs more reverb to its firing sound.
*(You have) Sound makes up about 15% of the remaining 30% of work. Don't worry I'll get on this.*
- Bug: you can activate Spell Booster for claws (slot 1), but this does not do anything.
*Fixed this awhile ago, but I didn't think it was worth a hotfix. Still, good catch.*
Overlord wrote: Feels like a human walking not a monster, try with the footstep of zdoom wars for hk/baron, that footstep fits!
*Ahh, I'll take a look. Just looked. It will be done. Thanks.*
Deii

Post by Deii »

I just came across this project and I gotta say it's pretty fun to play! The sprites are mostly great, though for some reason I always saw hell nobles wielding a big ol' revolver or single shot pistol along with their magic...maybe make one like that?

Will see if I can find any bugs or suggestions after some more extensive playing.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Holy shit, is that...it is! Finally! It's been a...eventful, let's just say...last few weeks so I haven't been able to work on/focus on our dear giant pink friend.

With no further dealy here is Beta 0

Why Beta 0? Because it's not quite what I had in mind for the first Beta, but its more advanced then the Alpha. It is missing some intended features, and some others are a little rough. Even if its a little incomplete, everything works and I wanted to get it out to you good people. Thank you for your continued support and patience!

Next major update planned is a total rebalance.

Note about the poll. Regartless of the results, certain things are getting nerfed anyway. The poll is more about expansive future nerfs should be.
Spoiler: Anyway here's the Changelog
Spoiler: Known Bugs and Issues
Dalse

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [Beta 0] & Dreaded Nerf Poll

Post by Dalse »

Some feedback!

- Nice new graphics! Specially the spell effect on the hands!
- With the mana powerup , I still cannot cast spells when my mana is zero. The powerup could give some mana to compensate this.
- The soul siphon is still costing mana while on infinite mana mode.

-The "spell boosted" messages is getting in the way from the spell descriptions , why don't you put like this:
Spellboosted - Baron Ball
Spellboosted - Immolation.

Instead of two separated messages?

-Would be nice you get some mana if you get some mana if you get a duplicate spell.

Anyway, what I would like to know is what kind of balance you want to achieve. Do you have any kind of gameplay mod as a balance reference?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”