Hearts of Demons - BARON [1.1.0] 7/29/22

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [NotAsEarlyWIP]

Post by Brohnesorge »

Huh. I've been playing Doom for awhile and didn't think you could do that. Learn something new everyday.

On the note of the defensive spell: I juggled around the idea myself, with it being an alt for Immolation. However, I decided that The Baron, while powerful, is a very focused spellcaster, focusing entirely on causing death, destruction and pain. I may use it in a later mod, probably Hearts of Demons : Archvile or Imp...which will be after the next one: Hearts of Demons : Revenant...which will come...maybe...eventually.

Anyway, back to THIS mod, the Vulcan's alt fire is getting replaced by a new weapon next update: The Azazel Rapid Autocannon. To make up for it, I'm making the Vulcan even more powerful and rarer. Actually, all the spawns are getting tweaked around next update. I know I said I wouldn't add any more weapons, but I wanted a general use automatic weapon.

Anyway, does the gallery here think the Vulcan should stay in the spawner where it is but just made a less common drop, or should it have a chance over Devastation? To give you an example:

Slot4Spawner:
Vulcan ~20% chance of spawn with a 50% chance of not spawning at all
Azazel ~42% chance of spawn
Soul ~38% chance of spawn

OR

Slot7Spawn:
Devastation 50% chance of spawn
Vulcan 50% chance of spawn

You can most likely expect this update next week sometime. Maybe. NO PROMISES MADE. I have updated the OP for the next update, though.
GOODGOOD

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [NotAsEarlyWIP][New Poll]

Post by GOODGOOD »

Reposted incase you didn't read them

50mm cannon or a Crysis HMG, or more high-tech like a plasma cannon alternative to the minigun, rarer or easier to find in an arachotron, slower fire rate, deadly accurate,(subject to change maye like medium accuracy? because of spamming it would be a full auto sniper), Mini Barrel Grenade timed or impact your choice, or add a button to make it like a cooking grenade, a crysis XPAC or a Spartan Laser for Slot 6
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

An alternate slot 4 is being added as an alternative to the minigun and it's basically a HMG, I can't add drops to an enemy that doesn't normally drop tings because I want this mod to be 100% compatible with monster mods and you can't add drops without altering the monster, no grenades as your spells cover any usefulness a grenade would have and it doesn't make that much sense for a Baron anyway, and the enchanted primary fire of the M202 will be incredibly similar to the primary fire of the XPAC. And the splazer wouldn't fit in thematically. Neither would the plasma cannon. The Baron isn't a big fan of hyper-advanced technology.

The altfire of the XPAC though...it might get added in one form or another sometime in the future. I'll think on it.
GOODGOOD

Post by GOODGOOD »

Then how about the let's see...

I have an idea about using the sufferring powers but since they malefactors kinda reminds me of an embodiment of humans corrupted from the powers of hell

Good Insanity Powers:
Burrowers chains:Use Twin Chainned Axes from your back as a crowd control weapon(More Information needed)

Triggerman Guns:Summon 3 M60 from your back (Why do things always come from somethings back?)

Isolationist Blast:Unleash devastating electric attack from your skin as they wreak havoc

maybe you need to watch the video about the powers to get more understand or something

Evil Insanity:

Slayer Blades:Put your arms into the ground and unleash blades around you to cause "trap-attack"

2nd power (forgot it's name):Summon cockroaches-like malefactor from your back as it hunts and explode at your foes

Arsonist Blast:Summon Trails of fire from your hands and (more information required)
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Alright folks. I hope you're liking the current version because your stuck with it for a while. My ISP fucked up my payment this month and now my internet is disconnected, so I can't upload the next version. Which is done. I'm riding their ass to get this resolved ASAP, but so far no good.

Naturally I'll keep working on the mod, and will give you my current game plan: one more update focusing on sounds after this one, then the BETA update featuring a updated spellcasting system thanks to KarolineDianne.

And before someone asks, I'm posting this from my phone. And the OP has been updated with the coming features so check it out if you're curious.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Finally got it all sorted out, so here comes that next update. Some of the new features are pretty rough, so expect some polish in future.

Regardless, here it is!

Changelog
Spoiler: It's quite a bit this time.
While my main focus of the next one is BETA, BABY! Still give me dat sweet feedback so I can fix/tweak/polish and concerns. Also I'm aware the smoke gets...weird when looking up and down. I'm looking into fixing it.
Dalse

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [NotAsEarlyWIP][So Indecisive]

Post by Dalse »

There is one thing I can't understand about the weapon slot 1 "weapons". With one pops up a slash effect when I hit something, while with another It does not and it does smaller damage, Does it have something with the berserk powerup?

Also , the shotgun weapon is too loud in comparison to other weapons.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

The slot 1 is claws and enhanced claws, with the enhanced replacing the chainsaw. It's pretty sloppy right now but it's under the microscope as we speak in terms of getting redone. The one with the slash is the enhanced. Use that if you got it. Playing with weapon tags on helps.

I'll tweak around the shotgun sound and upload a little update later. I'm a little busy at the moment but I'll get it done tonight/day (whatever it is for the dear readers out there). I've noticed its a little louder then I wanted it to be after some extended koffkoffancientalienskoffkoff play.

Edit: Updated the version 8 link in the OP with the shotgun sound scaled down to .75.
Dalse

Post by Dalse »

I am really loving how fast the update and your responses are! Keep it up! :D

Anyway, I played some more and have more feedbacks:

- Imolation fire spawns behind you when you use it when moving foward.

- How about making the spell powerup instead of infinite mana it makes
the mana quickly regenarate after some seconds not using magic? A incentive to use guns when recharging instead of spamming high tier spells all the map!

- The ground slam still costs mana when under the effects of the infinite mana powerup. Also, It does not look like a slam , looks like just a "puff" of green (maybe i just need to pay attention to the ground to see the effect? ).

- Suggestion for the ground slam: Causes a great knockback with 100% painchance to give you a breathing room when surrounded.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

The immolation issue is also getting looked at right now, as I noticed it too. I think it's because you run faster then the flames travel. I've been tweaking it incessantly over the last few days. Expect it to be fixed next update.

The infinite mana thing I'm going to make on a timer instead of it lasting until the end of the level. Because yeah, I've been running through super hard levels just Immolating everything and it sucks the fun right out. Especially once you pick up a Booster on top of it.

The Groundslam just does the puff for now. I did accidentally forget to give it a infinite mana state, but it's one of the things being addressed in the melee reowork I'm currently working on.

Speaking of, that's a pretty good idea with the knockback/painchance. I'll have to add that on and give you some credits.

I know I said that previously the next update would be a Beta, but I'm thinking I'll release a Version 9 first with some more tweaks and with the updated melee. The new spell system is taking me longer then expected to get fully working (because procrastination. It's basically all spells on one slot and you switch between them by "reloading".) and I keep finding stuff I want to tweak first.
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

The "Arcane Power' needs to be timed, indeed. Right now, when used in conjunction with the Spell Booster, and Explosive Balls or especially Immolation, it is overpowered as all hell. Barons drop in half a second! In fact, even with DoomKrakken's Monster Pack the Baron is hard to be challenged by anything (except for that Pyro Bruiser. What a tough guy, lasting a whole second of boosted Immolation before turning into dust!)

Likewise for Vulcan. The enhanced fire killed a Mastermind in literally a second. Wow. I guess this is actually a faithful representation of this weapon :twisted:

I like Azazel. More versatile than the ammo hog that is Vulkan, while still being sufficiently powerful.

And HOLY S*** ENHANCED FLASH IS SO PRETTY AND DEADLY :shock: :twisted:

The rapid fire Belial has a messed up firing sound. It cuts off as soon as you fire the next shell, making for an rather unpleasant experience. Cannot consecutive blasts 'cumulate' on each other in some way, so they will play out fully without getting interrupted by the next shot's sound?
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Yeah I'm not sure how I didn't think the Unlimited/Boost combo while testing was way too OP. Guess I wasn't really focusing on it.

The Belial is under pretty close inspection right now, now that I've finished the Melee for now. I've been tweaking its spread a lot, and now I'm thinking about changing it's sprites, if for no other reason then I feel like you see the current sprites for it in too many other mods. I might also change the Azael sprites. And yeah, there is a way to do that with the sound. Just have to move some code around. Might make a looping fire sound for it.

How do we feel about this? This would be the replacement for Belial, with the jitter obviously getting fixed and the whole animation being better polished.

before someone says anthing, the base sprites are by chornoteeth, the muzzleflash 'flames' are by phantombeta and the edit putting them together by me.
Attachments
ezgif.com-2effd92d34.gif
ezgif.com-2effd92d34.gif (14.48 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
Dalse

Post by Dalse »

I think the muzzleflash should be bigger and be less of a "circle" and more "spread" , to give the impression of a big weapon shooting out a lot of projectiles instantly.
GOODGOOD

Post by GOODGOOD »

"I have an idea!!
Wraithlord" Heavy Shotgun
It's a Pump Action shotgun that has a long cocking, high damage , relatively low spread, a fair amount of recoil, and an iron sights...
It has 3Firing modes:
1.AP Buckshot: it fires a scattershot of pellets that pierce armor effectively, Enchantment Effect:Slight Damage Boost Increase.
2.Hellshot:Fires a Dragon's Breath shells(Self Explanatory), Enchantment Effect:Shoots Fire Grenades? (I'm running out of ideas)
3.Slug:(Self Explanatory), Enchantment Effect:Damage Increase+Fire effect?

The Grand Grimoire(Sleepy Hollow anyone?): A spellbook collection of dark magic capable of levelling an entire city... at a cost of some blood of course

The "Last Will" Sword: A Legendary Hell Sword, it's origin was a Demon who were collecting a few evil human souls for sh*ts and giggles. And so He thought that it is better decided to make a sword out these souls and blessed with the light of holyness. and so he tested it against his (former) ally... The Cyberdemon, as it turned it was effective only took him out in 4 swings. Legends says that he Rested as a Human and helping humans and then locked away the sword, after all... he is a holy one. It's a DoubleEdged-Lightweight-Strong-Broadsword that has a evil soul gem in the Pommel and 3 light gems in the grip , it's alternate fire is "Energy Slash" that unleashes ranged white-red-outline slash that are weaker but atleast is a good thing so yeah.

I think that's all so thank you if this Idea is helpful to you :)
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

Brohnesorge wrote: How do we feel about this? This would be the replacement for Belial, with the jitter obviously getting fixed and the whole animation being better polished.

before someone says anthing, the base sprites are by chornoteeth, the muzzleflash 'flames' are by phantombeta and the edit putting them together by me.
I prefer the current spriteset. This one looks clearly like a revolver grenade launcher, not an shot-cannon. Too small caliber for the grapeshot that it belches.
Last edited by shotfan on Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”