[v0.999] CUSTOM GUN: THE GUN-ENING

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Mikk-

[v0.999] CUSTOM GUN: THE GUN-ENING

Post by Mikk- »

Have you ever wanted 'Borderlands style' weapons in DOOM? Potentially zillions of guns? Well look no further for I present to you:
CUSTOM GUN

just what is CUSTOM GUN?
  • Limitless* potential with randomly generated weapons!
  • 7 new interesting weapon varieties!
  • Upgrade your weapons with mod packs!
Ok, ok that's enough of the spiel, now. This mod aims to bring a new, rogue-like feel to DOOM, with CUSTOM GUN you can obtain the classic doom arsenal with a randomized twist. Map-placed weapons spawn with randomly generated parameters, as well as special abilities such as Incendiary, vampiric and toxic! You can also upgrade your weapons through the use of Mod Software - there are several varieties of Software which alter your weapon's properties in different ways. Each weapon has a set amount of slots which mods can occupy. Currently however, only the Pistol, Shotgun, Supershotgun and Chaingun have been modified and therefore there are no randomly generated Plasma Rifles, Rocket Launchers, Chainsaws or BFGs. Consequently, Mod Software will not work on these weapons. I also tried to keep this mod under 64KB - I use a few custom graphics but theres a bit of TEXTURES work and lots of neat stuff with Translations (god bless Desaturated Palette Gradients). Also for Doom 1 compatibility the Archvile fire sprites and sounds are included as they are used for the Incendiary Rounds.
Spoiler: Important Info
Downloads:
M-CUSTOMGUN[0.999]
Last edited by Mikk- on Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Yholl

Re: [BETA RELEASE] CUSTOM GUN: THE GUN-ENING

Post by Yholl »

Tried playing this, couldn't pick up any mod weapon at all, and all the mods have no tags so their names are pretty horrible to look at when you sort through them.

I'm very interested in seeing this in action, but well, I can't really do that right now.
IdiotBitz
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by IdiotBitz »

You gotta press use to pickup the custom weapons.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

IdiotBitz wrote:You gotta press use to pickup the custom weapons.
Oh whoops, must've missed that in the wall'o text, hehe. Thanks.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

OK so I updated the Main file to include tags for the Mod Software (I completely forgot tags exist)
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

OW MY EARS

Could you please do something about the explosion noises? I appear to have deafened myself with a close quarters high explosive super shotgun
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Oh geez, oops. I'm sorry! I'm trying to tinker about with the sounds but I can't seem to find a decent tradeoff. If I use $limit you will sometimes not hear the sound at all. So I'm kinda stuck here.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

It would be cool if there were stat and special mods that had more drastic effects on the weapons while also providing a random downside. Say, for example, a mod that majorly increases fire rate while decreasing damage so you can end up with weak chain shotguns if you mod them enough. Or mods that increase the bullet counts like crazy but also reduces accuracy a lot, etc...
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

This seems cool im gonna play it soon
but i have a question
Will be there manufacturers?

QUESTION: Should you like add what Emulator does it needs to play the mod?
Edit: NEvermind I need to use a devbuild
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Someone64 wrote:It would be cool if there were stat and special mods that had more drastic effects on the weapons while also providing a random downside. Say, for example, a mod that majorly increases fire rate while decreasing damage so you can end up with weak chain shotguns if you mod them enough. Or mods that increase the bullet counts like crazy but also reduces accuracy a lot, etc...
I've considered that when first making the mod. Messing with timing was a bit hacky but I'm sure I could cook something up.

I've been working on another Mod Software known as the Overdrive Upgrade - this mod will affect each Special differently. For example - High-tech + Overdrive = Homing Projectiles or Piercing + Overdrive = Projectiles that stick into walls and detonate a moment later. You can only use Overdrive on a weapon once and that change is permanent. It will also occupy 2 mod slots as it's such a hefty upgrade
SuperSomariDX

Post by SuperSomariDX »

I seem to not be able to do any damage to Revenants with a Toxic Super Shotgun. I'm pretty sure this wasn't intended.
In fact. Toxic weapons don't seem to do damage to them at all.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Oh crap I intended to make Revenants resilient to the poison infection but accidentally made them resistant to all poison. I'll fix that in tonight's update
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Pardon the double-post but version 0.4 is released!
  • Changelog
  • Added the Overdrive Upgrade mod which alters a weapon's Special to extreme levels.
  • Tweaked Incendiary and Toxic's effectiveness on enemies (Most notably on revenants)
  • Fixed ear-rape using High-Explosive modded weapons
  • Tweaked High-Explosive's damage to deal (damage*3) instead of 32 damage outright.
  • Made all monsters play "DSSLOP" when crushed
Download here: M-CUSTOMGUN [0.4]
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

Honestly I kinda was thinkin the mod would be like, you took a bunch of different pieces of gun sprites and they randomly mish mashed together using some ACS and texture lump trickery
Mikk-

Re: [v0.4] CUSTOM GUN: THE GUN-ENING

Post by Mikk- »

Now that's a cool idea, unfortunately that isn't this mod :P

Return to “Gameplay Mods”