Doom: The Way Midway Did

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Cage

Doom: The Way Midway Did

Post by Cage »

Imgur: http://imgur.com/a/VNsZY
Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzSuPz ... sp=sharing

A little something I whipped up on impulse :) Since Doom64 reloads are my most famous work, I thought I might do more of "filling in the gaps", this time on the texture front. The main idea was to take the texture designs from PC Doom (Preferably the most recognisable ones like STARTAN etc.) and recreate them in Doom64 in such a way they're as much of a seamless fit with stock Doom64 as I can make them.

Doom64 has a lot less modding interest, so I've decided to post the stuff I have so far before I spend a lot of time on it and it turns out no one has use for them. ;) I'd love to expand the set if there's enough interest.

Use in any way desired (including in your own edits) as long as you provide credit.
Cheers and have fun!
Da Spadger

Re: Doom: The Way Midway Did

Post by Da Spadger »

Neato de fuckin' burrito.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

These are awesome. It's rare to see new textures made for Doom 64, and rarer still to see them made so well and with such attention to stylistic authenticity. Thank you Cage!
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Damn, I might run through some favorite old megawads with this set, if it can be used as a drop-in replacement.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

wildweasel wrote:Damn, I might run through some favorite old megawads with this set, if it can be used as a drop-in replacement.
Unless Cage messed up his post, this release is basically just the image in the OP. Which makes it a great resource for mappers, but you'll want to work those elbows if you want it to replace the original patches.

Great stuff, Cage!
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

Very cool, will be keeping an eye on this. As a sometimes-Doom64 mapper, I appreciate any new resources :)
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Cage wrote:Image
Imgur: http://imgur.com/a/VNsZY
Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzSuPz ... sp=sharing

A little something I whipped up on impulse :) Since Doom64 reloads are my most famous work, I thought I might do more of "filling in the gaps", this time on the texture front. The main idea was to take the texture designs from PC Doom (Preferably the most recognisable ones like STARTAN etc.) and recreate them in Doom64 in such a way they're as much of a seamless fit with stock Doom64 as I can make them.

Doom64 has a lot less modding interest, so I've decided to post the stuff I have so far before I spend a lot of time on it and it turns out no one has use for them. ;) I'd love to expand the set if there's enough interest.

Use in any way desired (including in your own edits) as long as you provide credit.
Cheers and have fun!
:shock: :wub: love these!
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

Wow, these look fantastic Cage!
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

great work :wink: will be very useful I'm sure!
ETTiNGRiNDER

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

Loving these.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Can't wait to see fireblu in the Doom 64 style!
Just kidding, I love what you've done here!
Pardo

Post by Pardo »

i cant see a download link
can you make them into a wad or pk3 to use them as texture replacements for Doom2-based wads?
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Pardo wrote:i cant see a download link
can you make them into a wad or pk3 to use them as texture replacements for Doom2-based wads?
You already have it downloaded - what's done is the image at the top of the thread. If you want to actually use it, you'll have to cut it up and import it yourself.
Pardo

Post by Pardo »

wildweasel wrote:
Pardo wrote:i cant see a download link
You already have it downloaded - what's done is the image at the top of the thread. If you want to actually use it, you'll have to cut it up and import it yourself.
i cant do that, i dont know how to mod doom.
i wouldnt even know where to start.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

It's really not that hard. http://zdoom.org/wiki/Main_Page

[wiki]TEXTURES[/wiki] would be a good place to start reading. SLADE is the current gold standard for lump (data) editing and even includes a tool specifically for importing/defining textures. GIMP or Paint.NET will work for cutting up the texture sheet and re-saving each as its own file.

8-)

Return to “Resources”