[Community Project] 20 Monsters Challenge [RELEASED!]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Accensus

Re: [Community Project] 20 Monsters Challenge

Post by Accensus »

Ah, that's something else. Good point, though. Well, technically, I'm gonna put all resources used into a single wad so there can be no multiple copies of a texture.
BillGuy

Post by BillGuy »

@Lud Considering the deadline switch, put me down for a late slot hell-themed map, maybe map 27 if still available. I'll have it done in time. And just shoot me the maps/wad when you're ready for beta testing. Thanks!
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Consider yourself added. ;) MAP27 it is. Oh, btw, you reserved slot 13 if I'm not mistaken. You gonna keep that one, too? Asking to avoid any confusion. You can have multiple slots, just making sure I didn't make a mistake.

EDIT: Updated F.A.Q.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Question.

I saw a map with ResetHealth Map property so I thought the following: "Should I add a Defaultmap with ResetHealth and ResetInventory?"
You will hardly ever pick up something > weapon slot 4 and the idea is to keep the challenge in each map. I personally vote for adding that, in order to preserve the original challenge. At the end of the day, there is no linearity, like I said, and all maps can be played from pistol start. All I'm gonna do, apart from bugfixes, is connect the maps' exits and compile them into a single wad. Technically, having ResetHealth and ResetInventory makes a lot of sense. But I'd still like to hear your opinions.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

I would vote yes. Most of these maps are clearly designed for pistol start. And that how these sort of wads (see Scythe for instance) are intended to be played. I'm planning on posting a new map, if I get a chance. Something with... heavier weaponry.
BillGuy

Post by BillGuy »

Yes, both slots please. Map13 is undergoing some final tweaking but it's essentially done. I'll start Map27 soon.

I agree on the ResetHealth/Inventory. Great idea, Lud!
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Thanks! Original idea belongs to Voltcom9 who used the ResetHealth property.

Alrighty, then I'll keep both slots. Thanks for clearing that up. :)
Fishytza

Post by Fishytza »

I'm considering maybe I'll give it a try too. Just one thing.
Are line portals allowed?
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Not until Graf fixes the portals issue in GZDoom. I really wanted to use them, but can't. Map will break for non-ZDoom users. Interesting how it's present in GZDoom 2.2.0, too.

Updated rules regarding portals.
Fishytza

Post by Fishytza »

Right. But what if I made absolutely sure the portals are "different height" portals?
I've already determined those work for GZDoom.

Reading this Graf seems surprised why people place line portals with front and back sector being the same. Weird. :?

EDIT: I think it's fixed.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

If that's the case, forget about the portal rule. You're free to use them. I hope Graf really fixed them, though. I don't have a dev build to test. Can't compile myself.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

A noob question of mine. What is the function of portals? Does something similar to 3D sectors?
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

It basically enables you to "look" through a linedef and teleport through it. You can use it to create infinite loops. If you've played Unreal Tournament '99, the DM map Fractal has that. Google it if you don't know what I mean.
Fishytza

Post by Fishytza »

Alrighty. Sign me up for maybe MAP14? I'm gonna try to make something moderately difficult. Can't guarantee it won't suck.
But I gotta start somewhere, right? :P
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Ah, I get it. Thanks.

Return to “Levels”