[Community Project] 20 Monsters Challenge [RELEASED!]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Accensus

Re: [Community Project] 20 Monsters Challenge

Post by Accensus »

SoulCircle, I noticed a HOM effect on the bridge after you go through the red door. There is also "unknown script 0" when leaving the start room. You should remove the action special from that line. Both of your scripts are OPEN, there's not much use for it.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

Lud, I think the OP is missing a mention of the use of custom textures. Are they permitted and if so, what's the preferred format - i.e. would you rather restrict new textures to TX markers (these are easiest to compile), or are TEXTURES and/or TEXTURE1/2 lumps also permitted?
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

There was a rule saying to avoid them, but I removed that because it doesn't make much sense to restrict it. I think I'd restrict the textures to TX markers because the TEXTURES lumps really are gonna give me a hard time when compiling. Thanks for pointing that out.

Updated OP.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

No prob. Gives me a little more to work with for my map, thanks. :D
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

The only map with TEXTURE1 was Vostyok's but I fixed that. I also removed the old Doom 2 lumps that stayed after conversion.

Also, SoulCircle, I'm going to fix the map myself so no worries about that. Guess you'll have to do it since you made the thing in and out. I can tell you this much - the 3D floors are badly interfering with the bridge. Try to find another way to do it. The linedefs need to be placed more precisely but I can't figure out how exactly.

I'm going through each map and debugging it, but I might miss something. That's why when the project is done I will need 2-3 beta testers to play out the mapset and create a list with bugs they've found. I'll be doing the fixing locally before release.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Jimmy wrote:
leodoom85 wrote:The mod used is HXRTC Project 4.5v, so it can make it easier or harder. The difficulty that I chose is the equivalent to Very Hard.
No offense, but seeing as this mod seemingly adds about a hundred monster variants as well as a heap of weapons, items and extra mechanics, I think it goes against the simplicity-centric nature of the project. Promotional material for this project, i.e. stuff that will be featured in the OP as you're intending, should use Vanilla weapons and monsters, as the OP states the maps are meant to.
Sorry for the late reply. About what you said, here's the thing. As you all know, mods like Brutal Doom, Aeons of Death, HXRTC, etc. does alter the gameplay but the main and true objective of this project doesn't change which is the 20 monsters placement. You can already guess that many people prefers the mods than vanilla and viceversa. It's just a matter of personal preferences, you know. =)
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

leodoom85 wrote:Sorry for the late reply. About what you said, here's the thing. As you all know, mods like Brutal Doom, Aeons of Death, HXRTC, etc. does alter the gameplay but the main and true objective of this project doesn't change which is the 20 monsters placement. You can already guess that many people prefers the mods than vanilla and viceversa. It's just a matter of personal preferences, you know. =)
It's probably wiser to ensure that things intended to demonstrate a project only contain material from that project.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Oh, if it for showing content for the project only, then I must apologize for that.
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

User: Zero X. Diamond
Map Name: The Wicked Sepulchre
Music: "Ass Kickin'" by Antti Kauppila
Slot: MAP21
Format: UDMF
Extra notes: Kinsie says I might be a jerk, and I think he's right. Also holy shit I FINISHED A FUCKING MAP

Download: The Wicked Sepulchre
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

There are a few unknown textures that get printed to the console. You might wanna look at those. Other than that, Holy Shit I love that map!
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Looking at how things are going in the poll, magic needs to happen for those No votes to rise. There's really not much point in keeping it open anymore, despite having said it'll run for 4 days. 16 votes for Yes and 1 vote for No. That's pretty obvious.

I HEREBY EXTEND THE DEADLINE TO 18.12.2016! @ 22:00 (GMT+2) That's like 3 extra weeks after the old deadline.
Last edited by Accensus on Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

Submission form:

User: Voltcom9
Map Name: the Crucible
Music: Return to Castle Wolfenstein - Ravaged Town
Slot: 12
Format: UDMF
Extra notes: Doesn't have much ammo but it was a design choice to do so :P

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b90gi0oagnrv3 ... e.wad?dl=0
Zero X. Diamond

Lud wrote:There are a few unknown textures that get printed to the console. You might wanna look at those. Other than that, Holy Shit I love that map!
Whoops! That'd be because I couldn't find LITERED5 in cc4-tex.wad, but that turns out to have been because it was made from patches under TEXTURE1. I've since simulated the texture myself and reuploaded. Note that if cc4-tex.wad gets implemented more thoroughly at some point, which it might since it's real popular these days, my custom textures should probably be disregarded in favor of those.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Perhaps for the next project. I didn't consider adding pre-defined textures for use and at this point it'll only cause a heck of a mess. Тhanks for the fix!
Zero X. Diamond

Heh, I just meant if somebody else like... uses the entirety of cc4-tex.wad. If that happens, you can just discard my textures. Doubt it, but hey, just throwing it out there.

Return to “Levels”