GZDoom discussion (Version 2.3.1 released 2016/jan/7)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Gez

Re: GZDoom discussion

Post by Gez »

There was an issue with aspect ratio correction, with the vertical stretching step done at the wrong time which distorted the view unnaturally (even if quite subtly) when not looking straight ahead. This has been fixed for a while now, though.
kodi

Post by kodi »

@Gez
Yes that was what I was refering to I believe.. Thanks for the clarification.

@Eruanna
I'm vague because my knowledge of the technical side of things is in itself very vague. The script translates a 2d screen coordinate to a vector in the game world. The guy who helped me with it ran into this issue, and we were both perplexed that zandro 3.x was fine but gzdoom 1.x had the vector come out wrong at a non-zero pitch.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Ah. I see. I remember that. That was fixed right around the time "aspectratio" was added to MAPINFO for GZDoom.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Can anyone explain what the deal is with this strange rendering behavior? This is on GZDoom 2.2.0:

If you have just the right view angle, parts of sector sidedefs turn pitch black. I tested this on GZDoom 2.0.05 and it happens there too, but instead of pitch black it was normal HOM style (which blends a million times better and you're less likely to notice it). This happens anywhere, it's not limited to one spot. So what's up?

Please don't say you've never seen it before and don't know what it is. That's like my curse.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

At some extreme angles it can happen that the calculated view angle is a bit off from what actually gets displayed. That can cause some isolated polygons in the edges of the screen not to get rendered. The difference between versions comes from 2.2.0 using offscreen buffers that need to get cleared before use.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Is there a way to force the view angle to be more precise or is this something that cannot be changed? If it matters, the DECORATE code for the player in my mod modifies the viewheight. Would that cause more calculations to be off than normal viewheight?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

It requires fiddling with some math in the view setup calculations. So far I haven't found out the precise way to do it. View height does not matter. The resulting angle only depends on FOV and current pitch.
Danfun64

Post by Danfun64 »

NGX wrote:I believe there surely must come a time where drastic changes come to a halt and demo-compatibility becomes feasible.

But my main point was that I'd just really like to see a "tool assisted demo recorder" for GZDoom.

I went from Doom2.exe to Boom since that was like "the next official upgrade" but I always felt the gameplay i.e. the mouse-controls and hit-detections were terrible, but some 4-5 years ago GZDoom started to feel like a place to call home - with the popularity of playthroughs on Youtube I've felt a personal need for "TAS-demo software" to make as cool a playthrough as possible.
You know PrBoom-Plus exists right?
rileymartin

Post by rileymartin »

Hey, got a question. I've been always getting FPS drops in every version of GZDoom when being close to wall decals, such as blood like in Ketchup/BD, or particle effects (smoke etc.). Seems to be based on the player camera proximity since at a few meters away it's all good. Never got that in any Zandronum version for whatever reason.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

What's your graphics hardware? A larger number of decals can rather quickly cause some pixel fillrate issues on older cards.
Nash

Post by Nash »

rileymartin wrote:Hey, got a question. I've been always getting FPS drops in every version of GZDoom when being close to wall decals, such as blood like in Ketchup/BD, or particle effects (smoke etc.). Seems to be based on the player camera proximity since at a few meters away it's all good. Never got that in any Zandronum version for whatever reason.
It's not just GZDoom that has this effect. Even the software renderer in ZDoom is affected by this (and worse actually). Try firing 600 plasma shots to the wall, all at the same spot, then walk close towards the big black decal and watch your framerate tank.
rileymartin

Post by rileymartin »

Graf Zahl wrote:What's your graphics hardware? A larger number of decals can rather quickly cause some pixel fillrate issues on older cards.
I'm running a top of the line Radeon 5000 series on a 6+ year old laptop. Makes sense then.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Nash wrote:It's not just GZDoom that has this effect. Even the software renderer in ZDoom is affected by this (and worse actually). Try firing 600 plasma shots to the wall, all at the same spot, then walk close towards the big black decal and watch your framerate tank.
I get this too and always thought it was because my GPU/CPU sucks.
Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor »

Nevander wrote:
Nash wrote:It's not just GZDoom that has this effect. Even the software renderer in ZDoom is affected by this (and worse actually). Try firing 600 plasma shots to the wall, all at the same spot, then walk close towards the big black decal and watch your framerate tank.
I get this too and always thought it was because my GPU/CPU sucks.
Nope. It also kind of sucks that some of these decals don't really disappear. A few months ago I played A Furry Tale: Retold in ZDoom, which features billboards throughout the levels that explain the story. However, at one point after fighting some enemies, the story board got covered in explosion decals, and they wouldn't go away. This made reading the story almost impossible.

On an unrelated note: I've noticed that source-ports like 3DGE support (vertex?)shading on the models. Seeing as GZDoom had a great year in terms of new graphical features, courtesy of DPJudas, I wonder if this has opened the door to such features in GZDoom as well. This is not a feature suggestion; I'm just curious to what the future will bring.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Vertex shading has been brought up before. It's definitely on the developer's minds but how the actual implementation will go is anyone's guess at this point.

Unfortunately (or perhaps mixed blessing, really), ZScript has become a bit of a priority at this point.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”