GZDoom discussion (Version 2.3.1 released 2016/jan/7)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
D2JK

Re: GZDoom discussion

Post by D2JK »

About dynamic lights: I have a monster that emits a small shadow at his feet, defined in GLDEFS. I've also attached a flickerlight to his shooting animation frames in DECORATE. However, the latter doesn't take effect until I disable the shadow in GLDEFS. So is there an intentional limit of one dynamic light per actor?
NGX

Post by NGX »

Danfun64 wrote:
NGX wrote:Any chance of seeing a TAS-demo recorder for GZDoom? :wub:
Extremely unlikely, and this has to be something that begins with ZDoom, not its forks. The reason being is that there is no point for such a feature until ZDoom standardizes things in such a way that demo playback with itself is backwards compatible... a process which I'd imagine would take a very long time...
That's a shame - between GZDOOM TAS-demos and a Playboy model I just might have opted for the former.

On a serious note but admittedly without technical knowledge into the ZDoom codes, I feel it's about darn time for some demo compatibility though, especially - although admittedly still clueless about the technical aspects; since the step up to [at least in GZDoom] to a "version 2.x" title.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

There won't be any demo compatibility. That's a feature that would completely work against anything ZDoom stands for. You cannot implement it unless you carefully review every minute change, every bugfix, every feature addition for its effect on reproducability. And that's simply too much to deal with, because it prohibits any major refactoring.

Neither of ZDoom's developers has any interest in investing time here.
NGX

Post by NGX »

I believe there surely must come a time where drastic changes come to a halt and demo-compatibility becomes feasible.

But my main point was that I'd just really like to see a "tool assisted demo recorder" for GZDoom.

I went from Doom2.exe to Boom since that was like "the next official upgrade" but I always felt the gameplay i.e. the mouse-controls and hit-detections were terrible, but some 4-5 years ago GZDoom started to feel like a place to call home - with the popularity of playthroughs on Youtube I've felt a personal need for "TAS-demo software" to make as cool a playthrough as possible.
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

At this point, if you want a TAS recording port, you're better off basing on Chocolate doom. It's the closest thing you'll get to the original engine, and thus reproducing input throughout versions is more likely to be doable.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

NGX: I think what you really need to do, for now, is to run G/ZDoom within a virtual machine. The dev builds can run in Windows XP, which should be low enough in system requirements that you can tweak the virtual machine's settings (including, hopefully, the clock).

Other than that - if you find a program that can hook system timer calls, you're good - I've been trying to look for the system timer code, myself, but haven't had much success, and have had much more important issues to deal with (otherwise I would've already compiled a 15 tic/sec build for you, myself).
NGX

Post by NGX »

In this "hypothetical TAS demo-recorder" I was picturing a "save & load demo-recorder" rather than playing in slow-motion.

For my own personal use I'd like to synchronize the action with the music :3:
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Yeah, no such thing is going to exist in GZDoom for a very long time, I'd imagine...
kodi

Post by kodi »

Does the current renderer still do the pitch-dependent FOV adjustment? The one that's been present since at least later versions of the old GL renderer that is.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

No, it actually rotates your view.
kodi

Post by kodi »

Eruanna wrote:No, it actually rotates your view.
Sorry, I don't quite understand.
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

It takes your rendering point and rotates the view as if you were tilting your head to the side, or making your camera turn on its side.
kodi

Post by kodi »

Ah, thank you. And there's no way to toggle it off? It's messing with a script.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

What do you mean?

You need to rephrase this completely differently. You are being very vague and difficult to understand.

What script is this messing with? Why do you need "pitch-dependent FOV?" If you're talking about Y-shearing, that's available only in the software renderer and that will not mess with your scripts.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Not y-shearing... I think they're referring to something where looking flat has a 90-degree FOV, but looking up has a different FOV, like 80 or 100 degrees. For some reason I seem to remember this being a complaint (either against GZDB or GZDoom itself) some time ago, but I can't say for sure.

8-)

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”