Classic DooM III

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
elsoazemelet

Classic DooM III

Post by elsoazemelet »

Hi everyone,
I've been struggling with the idea a long time ago that I should start a topic here about my project, so here we go.

Back then when DooM 3 was relased I wasn't completely satisfied, because I've always imagined It would look different. Basically when I was a kid I dreamed about a third episode just like the classik 1 & 2, and when it happened many years after, I was kinda dissapointed. So here we go. A few years ago I got the idea why not make my own version of DooM 3 in classic style! The problem is the following. Since I don't know how to mod DooM, I'm probably not going to finish it. :roll:

I'd would love to know if there's any of you who can help me with the mapping (which I don't know very well either), and with the possible mapping. I've got some ideas, and I know how to write music, and make graphics, so basically art stuff. So I made a few teasers what I got in mind.

TITLEPIC:

TITLE LOGO:

Fiend test (It would be an imp replacament to the orange fiend who you can see on the original doom's cover art)

Fiend WIP sprite (just a rough draft, I'm working on it)

Title intro:
http://people.inf.elte.hu/s4b139/doom/intro.mid

So basically I'm curious if anyone willing to help me out with the mapping, and the possible coding. If not, I'm going to keep posting resources I finished, If anyone would find it useful, because sure I'm not gonna be able able to finish a whole project by myself.

So let me know, also your opinion. :ugeek:
lwks

Re: Classic DooM III

Post by lwks »

Seems interesting, but now I'm busy with my mod and other stuff so I can't help, though I'd like, but I'm no experienced mapper either way.
I wish you luck, but I'd advice you to learn how to map and start the project by yourself, I think it will be easier for you to recruit people if you already had more interesting things done. Just a few images are not gonna spark the imagination of many people...it's promissing though.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Did you do that title pic yourself? :shock:
cambertian
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by cambertian »

I could help with coding - heavy DECORATE/ACS user here (with the potential for ZScript conversion later on if need-be.) The project looks/sounds really cool so far! I agree with your sentiments on Doom 3, though I believe it's merely disappointing rather than the abomination people make it out to be...

Just say the word and I'm on the team! Either way, good luck!
elsoazemelet

Post by elsoazemelet »

About the title pic. The base was this art, it's the third doom book's cover if I remember correctly. I rearranged it, and did some re-coloring.

As I said, I'll keep droppig stuff here, maybe someone will join my intreasts someday. If not, maybe someone else could use my stuff. Maybe if I have some time, I'll do some maps too, it's not that I can't do them, I just not so creative in level designing. It's mutch harder for me than graphics. I did the titlepic and the imp in like a few hours.
elsoazemelet

Post by elsoazemelet »

cambertian wrote:I could help with coding - heavy DECORATE/ACS user here (with the potential for ZScript conversion later on if need-be.) The project looks/sounds really cool so far! I agree with your sentiments on Doom 3, though I believe it's merely disappointing rather than the abomination people make it out to be...

Just say the word and I'm on the team! Either way, good luck!
Hey, it's good to hear. :P I'll let you know, if I have enaugh resurces to start something with.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

If you do not care for designing levels, you could always focus on your strengths and make a high-quality sprite/music replacement mod!

This way, it will allow players to use it with existing levels and mapsets - which there is already no shortage of - and leave it to them to pretend they are playing a genuine Doom III. :P
elsoazemelet

Post by elsoazemelet »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:If you do not care for designing levels, you could always focus on your strengths and make a high-quality sprite/music replacement mod!

This way, it will allow players to use it with existing levels and mapsets - which there is already no shortage of - and leave it to them to pretend they are playing a genuine Doom III. :P
Not a bad idea either. :D I'll see what's going to turn out from this.
Kizoky
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kizoky »

"DooM III"?
I think I've heard of this.. not sure though.. :D
Spoiler:
Jokes aside, looks promising, I wasn't satisfied with DooM 3 either
I'll follow this project in the shadows :twisted:
ZioMcCall

Post by ZioMcCall »

I would help but i have two projects in mind in these times.Sorry :(
BFG

Post by BFG »

put some of the story and creatures from the novels in this! as that is what I was expecting out of the 2016 one actually
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

But that would force them to actually read the novels. Given their reputation, this sounds a bit cruel. :?
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

I've read them and enjoyed it. The first two are pretty good expansions on the game(s). The latter two go completely off the rails (story-wise), but they're not bad, just... weird.

8-)
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

they made the soulsphere a ball of blue goo that explodes in your face when you touch it. no thanks.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

I agree with your sentiments on Doom 3, though I believe it's merely disappointing rather than the abomination people make it out to be...
Doom 3 failed because it focused way too much on graphics and unnecessary features and also did not capture any of Doom 1 & 2's core gameplay that made it good for so many years.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”