[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
nakkemake

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by nakkemake »

Kullenberg wrote:Image

I love the ambience, sound design and texture work of Doom 64. The pre-rendered sprites not so much.
I attempted to redraw the Hell Knight in a style more akin to the original just for fun. Might work on it more later.
Thats why I won't play d64, it looks ugly to me. Your sprites look nice, so nice in facts that if d64 had your sprite replacement, i'd play it.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

nakkemake wrote:Thats why I won't play d64, it looks ugly to me. Your sprites look nice, so nice in facts that if d64 had your sprite replacement, i'd play it.
No offense but that's a really stupid reason not to play it. I actually like the sprites a lot more, they are more real looking and less comical. Classic Doom is more comical by comparison.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Besides, D64 monster sprites were made out of PURE 3D models from midway, rather than clay figures; their anatomy and styles are kinda better than vanilla one. And yet, D64 was made by the makers of classic mortal kombat series.

I kinda like D64 better, except their awkward dark shadings. But it depends on their eyes and tastes, i guess!
Cardboard Marty
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Cardboard Marty »

I love the ambience, sound design and texture work of Doom 64. The pre-rendered sprites not so much.
I attempted to redraw the Hell Knight in a style more akin to the original just for fun. Might work on it more later.
That's actually really cool! Keep it up, I'm excited to see more!
skyrish10
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7

Post by skyrish10 »

An attempt to rip Tracer (Lena Oxton)'s pistol from Overwatch in a similar way that Cap J did:
Spoiler:
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

D3Commando.png
Finally dooooooone. It quite took so long, but i feel really great. It's D3 version of the chaingunner, inspired by kinsie's prototype D3 chaingunner sprite.

Credit goes to Untrustable for helmet rotation and Damson for unbloody-fied custom death frames.

Download sprites here
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Looks excellent! Thanks for this!
CWolf

Post by CWolf »

Making new Romero's head for Freedoom

osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Mr.Enchanter wrote:PB Railgun, GhostKillahZero did the edit but not sure if it was his original sprite, also, center from the D64 Plasmagun, and the tubing from the skulltag railgun.

I see bits of my railgun in there... :wink:

WOW! :shock: more please :wink: LOL
Captain J wrote:...
EDIT:
wolf3dapplecasing.PNG
Made some casings from the Title screen of Wolfenstein 3D For Apple IIGS. I don't know. Maybe i loved its classic shading.
these are seriously tasty J, are they in doom palette?
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

osjclatchford wrote:
Mr.Enchanter wrote:PB Railgun, GhostKillahZero did the edit but not sure if it was his original sprite, also, center from the D64 Plasmagun, and the tubing from the skulltag railgun.

I see bits of my railgun in there... :wink:

WOW! :shock:
The scope?

also...
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

osjclatchford wrote:these are seriously tasty J, are they in doom palette?
Sadly, i think not.
wolfsneschaingun2.png
wolfsneschaingun2.png (1.56 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
Kullenberg

Post by Kullenberg »

nakkemake wrote:

Thats why I won't play d64, it looks ugly to me. Your sprites look nice, so nice in facts that if d64 had your sprite replacement, i'd play it.
Thanks, that's a great compliment. Redoing the whole spritesheet would be a huge undertaking though with so much else on the to do list :) but I'll definitely do another makeover for D64.
Captain J wrote:Besides, D64 monster sprites were made out of PURE 3D models from midway, rather than clay figures; their anatomy and styles are kinda better than vanilla one. And yet, D64 was made by the makers of classic mortal kombat series.

I kinda like D64 better, except their awkward dark shadings. But it depends on their eyes and tastes, i guess!
"PURE 3D" sounds like a buzzword out a 90's gaming magazine, haha! I don't see how the use of 3d graphics in of itself is by any means a indicator of quality. If anything 3d from that period usually meant the opposite. The anatomy of the Doom 64 sprites are objectively bad though. I mean look at that hell knight. It has the design aesthetics and proportions of a chinese bootleg action figure that melted in a house fire. I've seen potatoes with better anatomy :D
But yes, at the end of the day it's just a preference. I think some of the vanilla doom sprites are a bit too simple in their shading (the imp comes to mind) but I'd like to aim for something in between.
Marty Kirra wrote: That's actually really cool! Keep it up, I'm excited to see more!
Thanks I will!
osjclatchford wrote: WOW! :shock: more please :wink: LOL
More to come ;)
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Kullenberg wrote:"PURE 3D" sounds like a buzzword out a 90's gaming magazine, haha! I don't see how the use of 3d graphics in of itself is by any means a indicator of quality. If anything 3d from that period usually meant the opposite. The anatomy of the Doom 64 sprites are objectively bad though. I mean look at that hell knight. It has the design aesthetics and proportions of a chinese bootleg action figure that melted in a house fire. I've seen potatoes with better anatomy :D
But yes, at the end of the day it's just a preference. I think some of the vanilla doom sprites are a bit too simple in their shading (the imp comes to mind) but I'd like to aim for something in between.
Couldn't explain the word better rather than Pure. My bad, but they do literally made out of modeling program, right?

And besides of anatomy problems like you mentioned now, i think they have their own unique style that vanilla doom don't have. Like, Cartoon met Realism style.
Warhawk

Post by Warhawk »

Something for Duke modders.

The only thing is that the cannon isn't Duke Paletted

Credits to ID Software and 3D Realms
Kullenberg

Post by Kullenberg »

Captain J wrote:Couldn't explain the word better rather than Pure. My bad, but they do literally made out of modeling program, right?

And besides of anatomy problems like you mentioned now, i think they have their own unique style that vanilla doom don't have. Like, Cartoon met Realism style.
Totally cool mate, just taking the piss :) Gregor Punchatz who made the maquettes for vanilla Doom (and who also happen to be the son of the late Don Ivan Punchatz who made the iconic cover illustration for Doom) actually worked on D64 too, atleast for some of the monster designs. Instead of video frame grabs as in Doom 1 & 2 the models where digitzed into 3d models so yes, you're right.
And they are definitely their own style. I'm a huge pixel art fan, particulary the Amiga era and japanese arcade stuff so that's why I am drawn towards the more hand pixeled look.

Last edited by wildweasel on Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: PLEASE SHRINK YOUR IMAGES in accordance with the rules!

Return to “General”