[1/31/2022] Doom Delta v2.5.0! (+ mapping starter kit!)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: [WIP] Doom Delta - A delicious mix of Alpha and Beta

Post by wildweasel »

DrPyspy wrote:Some new footage of the minimap. It no longer messes up when turning around at high speeds, and no longer rubber bands. One drawback is that it is slower to update, but it isn't a big deal in my opinion.
That feels like it could be considered a style decision, like the motion tracker in Aliens, or the radar in Lethal Tender.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

I don't know how that is done, but if it is possible, an animation that indicates the map has updated would look pretty cool if the refresh rate was slow enough.
DrPyspy
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows XP Gangster Edition

Post by DrPyspy »

wildweasel wrote:That feels like it could be considered a style decision, like the motion tracker in Aliens, or the radar in Lethal Tender.
So far the slow refresh rate has been received positively due to it fitting with the aesthetic, so I'll be keeping it in. :D
zrrion the insect wrote:I don't know how that is done, but if it is possible, an animation that indicates the map has updated would look pretty cool if the refresh rate was slow enough.
I feel that a refresh animation would be kind of distracting at its current refresh rate, and I'm happy with the current rate, so unfortunately I don't think it'll happen.
XLightningStormL

Post by XLightningStormL »

Nice looking at the mod, really hope it gets a release, and been lurking :P

1. Any ETA?
2. Is there a credits list? Resources, mods etc?
3. How does the Human Souls thing work for the Death Claw + Unmaker, ACS, Decorate or other?
4. Lack of Shields, are there any plans to add Shields?
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

XLightningStormL wrote:1. Any ETA?
At the speed I'm going at right now, there's a chance that it will release before the end of the year. Currently I'm looking at finishing character portraits, and looking for actors who can do the lines for Thi and Lorelei. I currently have actors willing to voice Dimitri and John, so I only need to fill the other slots. I'm also finalizing the behavior for the Dark Claw and the Unmaker, as I want them to mesh seamlessly with the rest of the Doom arsenal. After that, it's time for testing and, if all goes well, a release shortly after.
XLightningStormL wrote:2. Is there a credits list? Resources, mods etc?
There is a credits screen when you open up the game, but I'm also considering putting it inside a README for convenience.

Currently the list is slightly out of date, but before the mod is released I will be doing a final sweep to give proper credit to anyone I missed.
XLightningStormL wrote:3. How does the Human Souls thing work for the Death Claw + Unmaker, ACS, Decorate or other?
At the moment, if you have at least one weapon that runs on souls, a possessed human will automatically give you a soul on death. However, I've been thinking about changing it so that the souls are dropped as pickups instead of being automatically given to the player, so that it's easier to figure out that you can get ammo from human enemies.
XLightningStormL wrote:4. Lack of Shields, are there any plans to add Shields?
In the Doom Bible, a lot of the shields seemed very situational, and the invulnerability sphere seems to cover the overall purpose of shields. However, I am interested in the Shock Shield, along with the Chaos Field, as they both have some potential. (For those who don't know, the Shock Shield shocks enemies that bump into you, and the Chaos Field forces demons to infight.) I've only really worked on the Chaos Field at this point, but I'd be interested in trying to bring back the Shock Shield as well.

Speaking of the Chaos Field, here's the new pickup sprite. I wanted it to look like something that the UAC would manufacture, so I deviated from the sphere shapes of the other powerups and went for a metal-tipped diamond thing. The electricity orbiting around it was a result of an effort to convey the whole "chaos" aspect of it, and I think it was pretty successful. Special thanks to Gutawer at the Joy of Mapping Discord for the original idea!
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

I'm not really sure that a Doom Bible mod needs voice acting, but everything else looks great!
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

Kinsie wrote:I'm not really sure that a Doom Bible mod needs voice acting, but everything else looks great!
I do agree with you there, voice acting is a bit strange in a mod like this. To clarify what I mean though, what I want to do is give each character unique grunts and screams, so that each character has more of a unique feel, you feel me?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

DrPyspy wrote:
Kinsie wrote:I'm not really sure that a Doom Bible mod needs voice acting, but everything else looks great!
I do agree with you there, voice acting is a bit strange in a mod like this. To clarify what I mean though, what I want to do is give each character unique grunts and screams, so that each character has more of a unique feel, you feel me?
Oh, like in ROTT? That makes far more sense. Nevermind, then!
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

Updated the alternate HUD to add some missing important elements.

There is now a score counter. Keys are there too.

As you get closer to death, the health counter turns red. This picture doesn't show it off too well, because I'm already dead.

Additionally, the bayonet was updated for consistency with the new rifle sprites, coming from the same source as the shotgun sprites. I've wanted to do this for a while, but I wanted to get the big stuff out of the way first.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by armymen12002003 »

Looking good so far
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Neat feature. But why not make ammo counter turns red when almost out of ammo as well? It could notice you that ammo is getting depleted quicker.
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

Captain J wrote:Neat feature. But why not make ammo counter turns red when almost out of ammo as well? It could notice you that ammo is getting depleted quicker.
The only thing I'm worried about in this situation is that it might reduce the impact of the health meter turning red. Like, if the ammo counter is already red, it make take longer to realize that the health meter has also turned red. I'll try some ideas out and see if anything sticks, though.
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

Here are some shots of a WIP pickup sprite for the Unmaker. The bottom left bone thing looks a bit strange, so I'll have to mess around with it some more.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

The pickup sprite looks neat and good to go! But it might need more flesh color like pinky's!
ThrashfanBert1994

Post by ThrashfanBert1994 »

Looks nice, keep up good work!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”