DUMP Episode 3: BFG Edition [map + weapons released]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: DUMP Episode 3: BFG Edition [Map build released]

Post by Wivicer »

I understand where you're coming from, but it's in the rules that mappers have to use MIDI or module format music, because to do otherwise would inflate the filesize by at least one order of magnitude.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

Wivicer wrote:I understand where you're coming from, but it's in the rules that mappers have to use MIDI or module format music, because to do otherwise would inflate the filesize by at least one order of magnitude.
Using PSX music or Hell's Ambience tracks are my personal choice. I wasn't advocating for putting OGG or MP3 music tracks in. :lol: I don't like huge download sizes either. MIDI tracks that can sound nearly just as atmospheric would fit the bill too. Still, my point was that inappropriate music choices can utterly ruin the mood of a map, and 'Ruins & Lava' here is one example.

I'm mainly wondering if the music tracks in this are set using custom strings in MAPINFO or not, as custom stringnames mean that most music replacement packs probably won't work, so really you gotta have an external music player like VLC ready to go if you come across a map that's got an inappropriate, mood-killing choice of music for it, IMO.

BTW, loaded up the PSX DooM track for 'Deimos Lab' in VLC, reloaded my save on 'Ruins & Lava' with music turned off so the PSX Doom music from VLC would be heard instead, and played it through the end as normal. Good map, and the much better music added a bunch to atmosphere. Just wish I'd found the 'shortcut' teleporter in the final area a whole lot sooner. :lol: But that's what I get for being a slow & methodical player, not somebody who dashes right into the heart of a mob of monsters hoping something's there to save my skin. XD
Neonspider

Post by Neonspider »

I might be up for making a MIDI pack! Have you heard Killing Floor? (MIDI for MAP12: Crater)
mutator

Post by mutator »

Can this be played with trailblazer? if you can, will you loose the progress you made with the mod? such as junks you collected, ammo you collected, weapons you collected and the items suchs as blueprint upgrades, jetpack, powerups
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

mutator wrote:Can this be played with trailblazer? if you can, will you loose the progress you made with the mod? such as junks you collected, ammo you collected, weapons you collected and the items suchs as blueprint upgrades, jetpack, powerups
Pistol starts are enforced, so yes, you will lose all of your stuff.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

Beed28 wrote:
mutator wrote:Can this be played with trailblazer? if you can, will you loose the progress you made with the mod? such as junks you collected, ammo you collected, weapons you collected and the items suchs as blueprint upgrades, jetpack, powerups
Weapons of Saturn is what I usually play the DUMP series with if you want to use a weapons mod. Generally, you want to use mods that stick very close to the loadout and behavior of the vanilla weapons. I DO NOT recommend playing this with mods like TrailBlazer, GunCaster, and esepcially NOT with Doom RL Arsenal! :shock:
Gez

Post by Gez »

Russian Overkill IMO
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

Gez wrote:Russian Overkill IMO
:roll:

Meanwhile, an example of the MIDI music REALLY fitting the level just now: 'The Darkness Beyond'. MIDI track suited it well, I didn't even bother loading up a DooM 64 level track to use in its place! Level is how I like my DooM playing to be a lot now: Dark, atmospheric, not a lot of weapons and ammo to go around, just what should be adequate if your skills are decent, and the music sets the tone good! :thumb:
Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt »

If u need to downscale dump 4 here are good ideas that mostly work:

-Have the more experienced mappers start working on maps together. The new ppl can still make their own map. Passing maps back and forth is hard if communication isn't sharp, so you can look into compartmentalizing as well.
-Switch mappers to detailers. People often like to only detail and need to learn so win win. Provide some sort of texture resource, don't have to limit to that though.

Testing-120-maps-wise:
-Encourage good habits like double-linedefing doors (one broke in dump2 mp) and discouraging a lot of 1-time only effects (Teleporters!).
-Split testing duty from just the compiler to several people. 120 maps goes alot faster that way.
-Fix stuff yourself (very fast)
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

Dropping in again to give my kudos the maker of 'Bloodsport Canyon'. Most action packed into a 512x512 map I've ever seen, and having the ambiance track from DooM 64's 'Even Simpler' playing through an external player with the stock music turned off made it all the more tense! :D

EDIT: The level 'The Crater' was very good too. Good use of ZDoom-exclusive features, but the scripts need a bit of work to remove the debugging messages that printed to the console and showed up at the top of the screen on the door message scripts. Also, the first part of the battle after grabbing the red key was nice, but then, having no warning that an Archvile had teleported in and was raising tough enemies back to life made me feel a bit like I'd been subjected to a 'cheapshot' by the level author and was forced to use the 'resurrect' cheat several times so I didn't need to start over again. Maybe having that Archvile deaf so he emits his alert sound when he teleports in might be a good idea, so the player is alerted that Mr. Archie has teleported in and he's started raising the tough guys you just killed back to life. :thumb:
Neonspider

Post by Neonspider »

We're already working on the changes and we've already removed the messages in our working build, we just need to upload the changes. :) (I'm talking about The Crater.)
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Regarding the future of DUMP, would it be useful to separate it into categories and spread the work over multiple people - a WAD each for beginners, intermediates, advanced mappers, and maybe engines (like DUMP TD in this one)? What criteria do you currently use to accept/reject maps?

Back from a convention and I've updated http://teamouse.net/games/doom/dump3.txt with reviews for the next ten maps!
Spoiler: MAPS 31-40
By the way, for anyone who might care or find this useful - I'm finding the maps in sequence by text-searching the TEXTMAP.TXT from hubmap.wad in dump3.pk3 for things of type 9998 with arg2 = (first figure of map number), arg3 = (second figure of map number) - bear in mind that figures that are zero will not appear in the file - and then looking at their X and Y coordinates and using IDMYPOS to find my way there. It's cumbersome but it works!
Thyrork

Post by Thyrork »

Update. 50 / 80, We're more then halfway home. =:)

MAP 37 - COMPLEX ALIVE - Roxas
MAP 36 - JUDGEMENT DAY - Stale_Meat
MAP 35 - REALM OF THE SEMPITERNAL ARCHVILE - Darsycho
MAP 34 - GAMMA STATION ENTRANCE - SMG_Marine
MAP 33 - JANUS - SoundOfDoomDoors

Updates slowed, mostly because slaughter maps can be enthusiasm killers and alittle bit of illness and other things grabbing my attention on the side. :)

E: Aw fuck it, lets do a bonus level to make it an even 50.

MAP SECRET6 - REAL IS SHIT - Deviluke Roy
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

And after a bit of effort tonight, I've reached 50 levels as well! I love comparing our thoughts, and find myself unjustifiably pleased whenever I've noticed the same thing that Thyrork has. The maps in slots 41-50 had several expert maps, an expert map from someone coming back after 9 years, and an expert map made by a beginner.

http://teamouse.net/games/doom/dump3.txt
Spoiler: MAPS 41-50
President People

Post by President People »

Beed28 wrote:
Your equipment is only removed by taking the warp gates on the hub map. Skipping the gates and using changemap from the console will allow you to keep your inventory.

Unfortunately, the map completion countdown is also triggered by taking the warp gates, so you'll likely need to noclip to reach the boss stage by using this method.

Return to “Levels”