DUMP Episode 3: BFG Edition [map + weapons released]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: DUMP Episode 3: BFG Edition [Map build released]

Post by Major Cooke »

TerminusEst13 wrote:I fucking hate the Textures lump.
Welcome to my world.
Shadow Hog wrote:I recall him lamenting on-stream about how many people decided to make TEXTURES files containing the entirety of Doom 2's TEXTURE1/PNAMES in full for whatever reason, not just the new texture definitions, so I guess we've got a long ways to go before we've fully crossed that bridge.
They don't know how to sort it out it appears. That or are way too damn lazy.
Untitled
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Untitled »

Okay, so forgive my ignorance, but what's so terribly bad about misusing the textures lump again? I barely even know what the textures lump is (aside from the fact that it has to do with textures), so I'm out of this particular loop.

Also, wasn't one of the specific rules of DUMP 3 "PLEASE DO NOT USE THE TEXTURES LUMP"?
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

Pretty sure that rule was actually "PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE THE ENTIRETY OF THE ZDOOM TEXTURE DEFINITIONS IN YOUR TEXTURES LUMP".
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

There were a lot of rules that Term put down, but refused to actually enforce.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Somewhere in the middle of ~120 map submissions, he probably stopped giving a damn. If there's a DUMP 4, it's going to need a cap, which will suck but what else can you do? :?
Thyrork

Post by Thyrork »

And then there was more.

MAP 58 - INFERNO ODYSSEY - Anonymous
MAP 47 - SIMPLE CHAOS - Willykuo123
MAP 48 - EVISCERATED - NAG
MAP SECRET4 - BOX SIMPLE - Redead-ITA
MAP 38 - DUMP TD - Arctangent
Deviluke Roy

Post by Deviluke Roy »

NeuralStunner wrote:Somewhere in the middle of ~120 map submissions, he probably stopped giving a damn. If there's a UMP 4, it's going to need a cap, which will suck but what else can you do? :?
UMP 4? U give More Plz 4? Then again, it'l be nice if AMP got a sequel ... oh shit, I explained the joke!

But seriously, it might suck for people who want to be part of a map pack without actually making all the maps themselves, but hey, DUMP really needs a cap like SpongeBob needs to die.

Also, Box Simple only has Thyrork say, and I quote:
Thyrork wrote:Oh fuck you. Haahaha.
Thyrork, can you please elaborate?
Thyrork

Post by Thyrork »

Dead Simple but with boxes. It made me laugh, while i cursed the map's existance. :P

Also I say more then just my flash thoughts:
Post Review:
I have a strange and irrational dislike for Dead Simple and Tricks ‘n Traps, not the levels themselves but the multitude of imitations. I’m fairly sure theres not that many clones yet at the same time there are too many?

Well, now I know why.

Parting Words:
I didn’t know they made these maps and boxed them up for mass distribution. Now I want a map set in the factory that makes them to standard.
Flash thoughts are just that, raw, instant reactions. The kind of thing I'd say if i was streaming, for example.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Hey, Thyrork. I am enjoying your reviews, of course my map included, and I say thanks for playing my map. I can add to the review that the BFG is entirely optional, you can finish the map without that weapon. And you must know that is my first map ever released.
And by the way, we all know that Box Simple is one of the many Dead Simple clones but I think you must play the updated one and not the map that was inserted in the mod, it is more pleasant to the eyes.
Oh, and one more thing, I'm not even fought the final boss yet. :(
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

If people do nothing else with DUMP 3, they should at least fight the final boss.
Deviluke Roy

Post by Deviluke Roy »

Thyrork wrote:Dead Simple but with boxes. It made me laugh, while i cursed the map's existance. :P

Also I say more then just my flash thoughts:
Post Review:
I have a strange and irrational dislike for Dead Simple and Tricks ‘n Traps, not the levels themselves but the multitude of imitations. I’m fairly sure theres not that many clones yet at the same time there are too many?

Well, now I know why.

Parting Words:
I didn’t know they made these maps and boxed them up for mass distribution. Now I want a map set in the factory that makes them to standard.
Flash thoughts are just that, raw, instant reactions. The kind of thing I'd say if i was streaming, for example.
Thanks, Thyrork. I knew that, but I think I didn't give enough infomation. I will say, however, that dead simple with boxes is enough info you needed to give. Thanks!
leodoom85 wrote:Hey, Thyrork. I am enjoying your reviews, of course my map included, and I say thanks for playing my map. I can add to the review that the BFG is entirely optional, you can finish the map without that weapon. And you must know that is my first map ever released.
And by the way, we all know that Box Simple is one of the many Dead Simple clones but I think you must play the updated one and not the map that was inserted in the mod, it is more pleasant to the eyes.
Oh, and one more thing, I'm not even fought the final boss yet. :(
The final boss is a touhou character. (jk)
Also, why does it matter if boxes are pleasing to the eyes, if they're all the map is, graphically?
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

The final boss is a touhou character. (jk)
Also, why does it matter if boxes are pleasing to the eyes, if they're all the map is, graphically?
About the final boss, I might predict that I will die a bunch. I will upload a video of that stage (it can be a death montage just for fun) in due time :).
And for the quote that I said for the boxes, it's just a perspective that I thought, you know.
Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

TerminusEst13 wrote:If people do nothing else with DUMP 3, they should at least fight the final boss.
I did! And unlike the bosses for the first two DUMPs (which I mdk'd and didn't reach, respectively), I actually beat it legitimately (if you discount save-scumming between phases).

Didn't quite figure out the pattern for Phase 3, though. Phase 1 took me a bit to figure out how to minimize damage and Phase 2 I got almost immediately (well, the rotating shotguns part), at least.
BFG

Post by BFG »

it took my a few deaths to take down the Hitler egg in the last version, but the new boss in this I killed in one take :(
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

How well can music replacement packs work with DUMP 3?

[rant]Some of the music selections for the levels IMO do not fit them at all. Just started playing through a few maps of this then hit the level called 'Ruins & Lava' and MY GOSH, THE MUSIC for it was an utter BUZZKILL. Music choice for that level for example was so bad I didn't wanna play through the level listening to such totally mood-killing music. I mean, C'MON, if you're going to make a level that looks that hellish and evil, pick some music that reinforces that theme! :glare: Several tracks from PSX DooM/Doom 64 would be a better fit, or tracks from the ambiencepack wad.[/rant]

I may need to replace the music via an external music player like VLC to play through that level.

Return to “Levels”