Make IDKFA Wolfenstein Again (Uncensored BFG, Censored Doom)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
unRyker

Make IDKFA Wolfenstein Again (Uncensored BFG, Censored Doom)

Post by unRyker »

What always irked me was how not only did they replace the Nazis with low-skill zombiemen, but they also completely broke the smurfs' graphic lumps, making custom maps unplayable because Nazis are invisible yet present. Make IDKFA Wolfenstein Again (miwa.wad) seeks to fix that. For original Doom IWAD users, there's Nazi Lives Matter (nlm.wad).

CHANGES
  • Restores modified/censored sprites of the blue smurfs.
  • Includes the Nazi textures. This is important for playability and sprucing up Wolfenstein maps.
  • DEHACKED usage for restoring automap names.
  • Original image lumps of the map names have been included.
  • Modified MAP31 and MAP32 have been included to replace zombiemen back with Nazis along with its respective music.
  • An optional file named 'meds.wad' to replace the new medikits with their original counterparts for both Doom BFG IWADs.
  • TITLEPIC to fix an annoying black screen in outdated sourceports.
INSTALLING
DEHACKED is built into all of the .wad files. This means you only have to load the .wad you want without needing the .deh corresponding to each file. Chocolate Doom doesn't load DEHACKED built into the .wad files by default, but you can simply do -dehlump and the name of the .wad to force it to load the built-in DEHACKED!

1.0 Using MEDIKIT graphics
med_pills.wad replaces the first aid items with the BFG-Edition pills logo. med_cross.wad contains the original red cross logo.
If you're loading them with DOS, in either case, use meds.deh as the DEHACKED works for both.

2.1 UNCENSORING BFG DOOM 2
Load miwa.wad (and miwa.deh for DOS), and also load meds_cross.wad (and meds.deh for DOS).

2.2 CENSORING OG DOOM 2
Load nlm.wad (and nlm.deh for DOS), and also load meds_pills.wad (and meds.deh for DOS).

KNOWN COMPATIBLE SOURCEPORTS
  • ZDoom
  • GZDoom
  • Zandronum
  • Chocolate Doom (Make sure you also use -dehlump with the .wad you want!)
  • PrBoom+ (SORT OF. Loads textures, music and lumps, but the Zombiemen aren't properly replaced with Nazis)
CREDITS
  • Bethesda - For kneeling to modern censorship, responsible for the creation of this
  • ID Software - Graphics, Music, Maps
  • UndeadRyker - Porting (AKA Copy & Pasting), DEHACKED
DOWNLOAD!
View it on GitLab.

THE PRECEDENCE OF THIS EXISTING
This project is similar with methods used in the Doom Sprite Fixing Project. The Doom Sprite Fixing project is acceptable to everyone for all the right reasons- even if it includes images with modified offsets for maximum compatibility for Vanilla Doom.
Last edited by unRyker on Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:26 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: [RELEASED](DOOM II -> BFG) Make IDKFA Wolfenstein Again

Post by Jimmy »

And the award for "most painfully shoehorned-in political overtones in a Doom mod thread" goes to...
unRyker

Post by unRyker »

Hey, I thought the overall concept was pretty fitting to be honest with you- I wanted to make it special and now I get an award!

I'll admit I could've probably came up with a friendlier, suitable theme if I posted it later but I see too many utility mods' names that literally do what's in the title to let this opportunity pass. It's not that painful and forced if you really ask me- simply put that's just how I chose to display the mod so no problem here. It shouldn't harm anyone.
LkMax

Post by LkMax »

Jimmy wrote:And the award for "most painfully shoehorned-in political overtones in a Doom mod thread" goes to...
I don't get it. Is it about the Reagan reference in the title? :0)
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Have you thought of adding the original medkits too?
unRyker

Post by unRyker »

I have just added them into the download. I liked the BFG Edition's medikits because it implies that Doom takes place even farther in the future, assuming the Red Cross is no longer relevant and somehow went bankrupt and rebranded or replaced by another futuristic health organization- but it was censored to avoid an unjust lawsuit now that you brought it up.

An optional file 'meds.wad' have been added to the download containing only the crosses on the medical kits- for the sake of consistency of content available in Doom 1 minimizing unnecessary load times of the maps and other features that shouldn't be available in the first Doom. In addition, their offsets have been manually fixed from their original counterparts.

EDIT: Main post has been updated.
EDIT2: Reccomended some other wads to improve your Vanilla Doom experience.
Nevander

Re: [RELEASED](Uncensored BFG) Make IDKFA Wolfenstein Again

Post by Nevander »

Why'd they change the stuff anyway? Are people really that anal about stuff in 20+ years old video games?
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Nevander wrote:Why'd they change the stuff anyway? Are people really that anal about stuff in 20+ years old video games?
They can be if it is intended to be marketed worldwide in countries where the presence of Nazi symbolism can result in the game's ban.
TonicBH

Post by TonicBH »

wildweasel wrote:
Nevander wrote:Why'd they change the stuff anyway? Are people really that anal about stuff in 20+ years old video games?
They can be if it is intended to be marketed worldwide in countries where the presence of Nazi symbolism can result in the game's ban.
Especially when it's easier (and faster) to just censor all versions than to make a unique version for Germany separate from other versions. It sucks, but hey.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

They couldn't even have done the Doom 2 GBA thing, and simply replaced the offending textures? They could even have done something hilariously self-referential like
Spoiler:
And replacement sprites shouldn't be too hard... Hell, recolored Doomguys could work.
LkMax

Post by LkMax »

Or do like Metal Slug and replace the Swastika with a X
unRyker

A new party has appeared!

Post by unRyker »

NeuralStunner wrote:They couldn't even have done the Doom 2 GBA thing, and simply replaced the offending textures? They could even have done something hilariously self-referential like (funny image) And replacement sprites shouldn't be too hard... Hell, recolored Doomguys could work.
This could work really well as a version of this, I have a feeling that the recolored Doomguys may seem a bit odd to use in the case of multiplayer co-op, but regardless- it would have been at least far more playable if BFG Edition had done what you suggested!

Anyways, a new rival as appeared to go against #MIWA, #NLM! It's time to pick a file, or will you download neither and not do anything about it? #NaziLivesMatter has a treat in store for all the original Doom wad owners- while #MakeIDKFAWolfensteinAgain has a treat for the BFG Edition owners!

Disclaimer: Don't try to take this theme seriously, it's all in good fun.
3371-Alpha

Re: [Uncensored BFG / Censored Doom]Make IDKFA Wolfenstein A

Post by 3371-Alpha »

I think I found two more "auto-load worthy" wads you could link here.
First there's the HQ Doom Music Pack, It replaces the music with higher quality tracks. It's more of a remaster than a remix so there's no destruction of authenticity. And second there's Ransu's Remastered Game Music. This one's also a remaster. Don't let the Zandronum thing fool you, it's fully compatible with zDoom and derivatives.
Since both packs modify music, users will have to pick one or the other.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

NeuralStunner wrote:They could even have done something hilariously self-referential like
Spoiler:
Ahahahaha that's brilliant
3371-Alpha

Re: [Uncensored BFG / Censored Doom]Make IDKFA Wolfenstein A

Post by 3371-Alpha »

Is it just me or did all of the decorative pictures from your original post vanish and get replaced by the word "image"?

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”