Phobos867's Add-ons for D4D [v2.1] BUGFIXES

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
-Ghost-

Re: Unofficial Add-ons for D4D

Post by -Ghost- »

Nice pack! It's good to see some addons starting to come out for D4D. The more randomization we can get in, the better. The Gore Nests in particular are a great idea and way to make the environment itself a bit more dangerous.
ShotgunImp

Post by ShotgunImp »

Nice work dude! I love those addons!
ThrashfanBert1994

Post by ThrashfanBert1994 »

i agree, when is it out?
Truvix

Post by Truvix »

I'm really glad that someone decided to do a proper Doom 4 imp and that a new skin for the pinky is currently in the works. D4D as a whole looks pretty good, but I really do think that the decision to use the Doom 64 monster sprites wasn't really a great choice. It's not so much that they look bad as it is that they just don't really fit the classic doom aesthetic. It probably would have been a better choice to stick with the base sprites, but it seems that shouldn't be an issue now that this project is underway. Also, the inclusions of merser's sprites and the new hell knight are also great additions, as I feel that they really just kind of help bring the mod a bit closer to its source inspiration.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Truvix wrote:It's not so much that they look bad as it is that they just don't really fit the classic doom aesthetic.
... Neither do the Doom 2016 weapons. :?
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

I disagree; I think the D4D weapon sprites fit just fine, having been redrawn properly and not just downscaled screen-rips. The problem with the D64 pinkie for example is that it's a kinda sloppy (IMO) ripped 3D model, not a properly drawn sprite.

8-)
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Even though I ultimately prefer the vanilla Pinky, I am perfectly fine with its Doom 64 counterpart.

The Doom 2016 one, however, just looks terrible; while more faithful to the original than the Doom 3 Pinky (which was an interesting reimagining), it just looks silly and out of place in Doom 2016's environments. Might as well stick with the regular Pinky or at the very least Tormentor667's Blood Demon, which strikes me as a good compromise between the vanilla design, the cybernetically-enhanced Doom 3 incarnation and the Doom 2016 one.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Yeah, to be honest I've always thought some parts of Doom 4 weren't really that good, the pinky design among them. I''m hoping that the D4D team will keep the spirit of Doom 4, but make it their own vision based off it, rather than a 1:1 copy. Same goes for this addon, ideally.
IvanDobrovski

Post by IvanDobrovski »

Some rotations look quite ugly/inappropriate on Revenant/Caco/HK but imp is the one that seems to be the most polished in terms of sprite work right now. Behavior of HK is top notch and if you fix sprites it might be even better. (Example: BOS3C7 has his legs facing backwards man... Similar is found in it's melee frames as well I think)
Atomizer

Post by Atomizer »

Because it's extra work, I take it that these don't have any "Brutalized" animations to work like proper Glory Kills yet? Eventually I'd like to see that and may contribute it myself if need be.

I'm doing a video project where any variety in enemies or kill animations is kinda key to the fun. So getting yours, Merser's, and other units to function as non-replacers (or replacers) in a Project Brutality-compatible bestiary is probably worthwhile for me. Aside from what I can reproduce for animations, it'd be some detective work to get a D'16 ammo system to balance but awarding health from "Glory Kills" is already within other mods and could be useful.

You've got a good collection so far, and I hadn't seen Vader's imp yet so that alone sells me. So if it's alright with you I'd like to work from your selections to Brutalize. I can't promise anything specific until I've got this first video out but after that I'll put some time into adding animations to these.
Phobos867

Post by Phobos867 »

The next update is almost done! O-)
IvanDobrovski wrote:(Example: BOS3C7 has his legs facing backwards man... Similar is found in it's melee frames as well I think)
Well, I'm not a great artist indeed... but that was done on purpose, to create a better notion of movement (that he is jumping forward).
For me at least, it worked:
Maybe you can consider (for the sake of meaning) that he can dislocate his bones? I mean, it's a demon after all. :P
On an unrelated note: The next update will feature HKs alternating his arms when attacking, which can make his animation more natural, I hope.
Atomizer wrote: So if it's alright with you I'd like to work from your selections to Brutalize. I can't promise anything specific until I've got this first video out but after that I'll put some time into adding animations to these.
This will not be useful for this project, but go ahead :3:
Last edited by Phobos867 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phobos867

Post by Phobos867 »

HEY!

more screens

download v0.3 (.RAR)
DOWNLOAD V0.3.1 (.RAR)

CHANGES (Oct 04):
Gameplay:
- Rebalanced Gore Nest damage-ratio
- Rebalanced HK shockwave damage
Visuals:
- Baron of Hell NEW SKIN (on D4Sprites.pk3)
- A secondary death animation for Neo-Imps
- HKs can attack with the other hand now (instead of using only the left)
Sounds:
- Neo-Imps now have their own sounds
- Pain sounds for Cacodemons and HKs
- Death sound for HKs is more noticeable
Major fixes:
- I THINK that I solved the stuck Gore Nest spawns (for the most part).
Have fun!
Last edited by Phobos867 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
NullWire

Re: Unofficial Add-ons for D4D [0.3v] <-NEW

Post by NullWire »

Any new sprite for the tech-Mancubi?
ThrashfanBert1994

Post by ThrashfanBert1994 »

we want it in a PK.3 or wad file, not all of us dont open RAR files, i beg the differ
Truvix

Post by Truvix »

NullWire wrote:Any new sprite for the tech-Mancubi?
I may be jumping the gun a bit here, but on this note, do you think we'll end up seeing a full Doom 4 sprite replacer? From the looks of things, you've already made some great progress on some of the others mobs, so it would be great if you went all the way and actually made sprites that bring all of the mobs in line with their Doom 4 counterparts as possible (I feel that the Spider Mastermind is probably fairly doable if you take some liberties, but I have my doubts about the cyberdemon). I know that not everyone is fond of the idea of a 1:1 recreation, but I think it would really help sell the experience. On that note, nice job with the Baron. The Archon of Hell sprite looks really nice, but again, it was a pretty odd choice considering that it doesn't really resemble the Doom 4 Baron at all. D4D as a whole makes some really odd sprite choices all things considered, but I'll refrain from rambling about that too much since I don't think it's something worth writing an entire essay about.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”